Low Preset Purgaory

eagleout

I added another 4Gb RAM to my year-old HP Slimline PC to give it a total 8Gb but it made no difference to my sluggish frame rate at all. I take it frame rate depends mostly on video ram, in which the Radeon HD 7450 has 1Gb. My system is a modest i3-2120 running at 3.3Ghz. I have a 24-inch 1920x1080 display which still looks good at 1024x768 but the "Wow" factor is missing.

Anything less than the Low Presets will reduce my frame rate to 10fps or so, which looks crappy. When everything is set low including the display I can get 20fps which is acceptable. I miss the cockpit shadows, heat and water effects, though. Anyone have any other presets or ideas that can be used to squeeze out a bit more resolution and fps other than a new PC?

Edited by eagleout

I added another 4Gb RAM to my year-old HP Slimline PC to give it a total 8Gb but it made no difference to my sluggish frame rate at all. I take it frame rate depends mostly on video ram, in which the Radeon HD 7450 has 1Gb. My system is a modest i3-2120 running at 3.3Ghz. I have a 24-inch 1920x1080 display which still looks good at 1024x768 but the "Wow" factor is missing.

Anything less than the Low Presets will reduce my frame rate to 10fps or so, which looks crappy. When everything is set low including the display I can get 20fps which is acceptable. I miss the cockpit shadows, heat and water effects, though. Anyone have any other presets or ideas that can be used to squeeze out a bit more resolution and fps other than a new PC?

Sell it, and get an i5 2500K @ 3.4-5 gigs

That is my target processor now. Oh, and stay away from ATi stuff.. GTX 670/80 is also good. Friends I know recommended the 670 over 680. But its afterall, your call.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

8 GB RAM should be enough. Your problem is probably the HD 7450 - it's a pretty low end video card and is probably what's causing your poor frame rate. Check out the benchmark here: http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=Radeon+HD+7450.

If you upgrade to a newer video card you'll probably see a big improvement.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My rig: i7 3770K oc'd to 4.7 GHz | Asus Maximus 5 Extreme mobo | 4 x 8 GB Crucial Ballistix Elite DDR3 | 2 x EVGA GTX 680 in SLI | Asus Xonar Phoebus audio card | OCZ Vertex 4 512 GB SSD

My peripherals: Dell U3011 30" at 2560x1600 | TM HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | TrackIR 5 | Logitech G13 | Sennheiser HD 558 | Razer Black Widow | Razer Imperator

The video card is certainly an issue but so is the CPU, IMHO.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

8 GB RAM should be enough. Your problem is probably the HD 7450 - it's a pretty low end video card and is probably what's causing your poor frame rate. Check out the benchmark here: http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=Radeon+HD+7450.

If you upgrade to a newer video card you'll probably see a big improvement.

I figured as much. Is there a decent video card for DCS on the market that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

It is definitely the GPU that is the issue. 1 GB of VideoRAM is sufficient, but more is better.

Other things you can check:

* Anti-Aliasing (AA) should be on in the driver (ATI Catalyst Control Panel) or in game (applies to DCS World, not to LockOn) but never both or your game will run like a slug.

* similarly for An-isotropic Filtering (AF). Switch on in the driver or in the game but not both.

The rules are:

* AA and AF should be set in DCS but off in the ATI driver (Catalyst Control).

* AA and AF should be set on in the ATI driver when using LockOn (since there is no in-game control for these).

Unlike a previous poster's suggestions there is nothing wrong with ATI. In fact, it generally gives you much better 'bang for the buck' vs NVidia. As an owner of both brands of GPU I'd also say that the visual quality of ATI in ED products generally has less artifacts. However, NVidia beats ATI hands down with regard to stability of its drivers - with ATI it is always a lottery whether the latest driver will break something (eg. like TrackIR support in 12.8 ). Once you find a stable ATI driver version it is good to stick with it.

Anyway, please check that you are not doing AA and AF in two places. Doing so uses a lot of your precious VideoRAM and means that textures get swapped between VRAM and normal RAM, and things run pretty slow when that is happening.

It is definitely the GPU that is the issue. 1 GB of VideoRAM is sufficient, but more is better.

Other things you can check:

* Anti-Aliasing (AA) should be on in the driver (ATI Catalyst Control Panel) or in game (applies to DCS World, not to LockOn) but never both or your game will run like a slug.

* similarly for An-isotropic Filtering (AF). Switch on in the driver or in the game but not both.

The rules are:

* AA and AF should be set in DCS but off in the ATI driver (Catalyst Control).

* AA and AF should be set on in the ATI driver when using LockOn (since there is no in-game control for these).

Unlike a previous poster's suggestions there is nothing wrong with ATI. In fact, it generally gives you much better 'bang for the buck' vs NVidia. As an owner of both brands of GPU I'd also say that the visual quality of ATI in ED products generally has less artifacts. However, NVidia beats ATI hands down with regard to stability of its drivers - with ATI it is always a lottery whether the latest driver will break something (eg. like TrackIR support in 12.8 ). Once you find a stable ATI driver version it is good to stick with it.

Anyway, please check that you are not doing AA and AF in two places. Doing so uses a lot of your precious VideoRAM and means that textures get swapped between VRAM and normal RAM, and things run pretty slow when that is happening.

This may be my problem. I cannot locate the catalyst manager although I have installed it on my win 7 system. weird.

This may be my problem. I cannot locate the catalyst manager although I have installed it on my win 7 system. weird.

Right-click on your Desktop and it should be there in the context list. Or is that what you're doing and aren't seeing it?

Rich

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

I figured as much. Is there a decent video card for DCS on the market that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

That web site I linked has a "best bang for your buck" table - it looks like they recommend the GTX 480 (~$200), GTX 660 (~$210), or GTX 570 (~$250). I'd suggest looking into those.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My rig: i7 3770K oc'd to 4.7 GHz | Asus Maximus 5 Extreme mobo | 4 x 8 GB Crucial Ballistix Elite DDR3 | 2 x EVGA GTX 680 in SLI | Asus Xonar Phoebus audio card | OCZ Vertex 4 512 GB SSD

My peripherals: Dell U3011 30" at 2560x1600 | TM HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | TrackIR 5 | Logitech G13 | Sennheiser HD 558 | Razer Black Widow | Razer Imperator

Right-click on your Desktop and it should be there in the context list. Or is that what you're doing and aren't seeing it?

Rich

Looks like a fail on both issues. Catalyst is known to have issues showing up on Win 7, and I also don't see those settings in the game under Options. Also, any replacement graphics card must be a low-profile card as well.

My newbness is showing. :mad:

Looks like a fail on both issues. Catalyst is known to have issues showing up on Win 7, and I also don't see those settings in the game under Options. Also, any replacement graphics card must be a low-profile card as well.

My newbness is showing. :mad:

FWIW, I'm using a system that I built about 5 years ago and generally get framerates that allow me to fly and not be annoyed by them. So a high-end graphics card is not an absolute necessity. Mine's an ATI but I don't remember which one. I'll check when I get home from work. I am running Win7 Pro and had to go back in time for the software/drivers to run it. The current crop of drivers don't work well with it.

Rich

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

FWIW, I'm using a system that I built about 5 years ago and generally get framerates that allow me to fly and not be annoyed by them. So a high-end graphics card is not an absolute necessity. Mine's an ATI but I don't remember which one. I'll check when I get home from work. I am running Win7 Pro and had to go back in time for the software/drivers to run it. The current crop of drivers don't work well with it.

Rich

I understand, and agree. This is the first sim I've tackled since the old IBM-PC days and the graphics are far beyond anything I've seen in a while, even on Low Presets. So, as long as I can get a decent frame rate I'll be happy with the current configuration.

Thanks for the reminder. Now if I can only get the throttle on my Thrustmaster Hotas X Pro to work...

To put it straight and simple:

To place your card (HD 7450) in the HD 7xxx family is as marketing draw and is suggesting to a not techs-knowledgeable customer that it is superior to a HD 6XXXX family...

It is not.

I would call this : Hard at the edge to a fraud.

Instead "HD 7450" it should be called "Offspring of the HD 7 architecture but should be only used for office work that doesn't involve 3D calculations"

Your card is not able to go beyond 20FPS at you used resolution, no matter how much you will reduce the details.

It is simply not able because it has not the bandwidth available to do it.

Your CPU is maybe capable to hold 20FPS in a not so dense battle. - but only when you have a GPU that can go further as the HD 7450.

Edited by PeterP

...Mine's an ATI but I don't remember which one. I'll check when I get home from work...

I'm running an ATI Radeon HD 3800 with the 8.981.0.0 driver/software suite.

Rich

_____