Couple of questions on this video of multiple JDAM strikes.

bunraku

Hi

Been watching this video and have a couple of questions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a90k8RYxn6c

1) The maker states he is using his laser in latch mode. Am i right in saying there is no need to lase at all for multiple JDAM's?

2) My main question is he keeps stating when releasing the weapons to DMS Up Short and TMS Up Short etc etc to switch and fire on the targets. I am confused as to the TMS Up Short as he has HUD as SOI and according to the key lists i see that is for "Stabilise". TMS Up Long is make SPI. So shouldn't he be doing

DMS UP SHORT

TMS UP LONG

DMS UP SHORT

TMS UP LONG

Etc etc to switch and make target SPI???

Edited by bunraku

He had to laze because he was targetting structures. If you don't laze then the spi would generate on relative coordinates- frequently behind the target. With the laser fired, spi can be generated on the specific location desired- not the location the spi would have been had the building not been there

Edited by ENO

"ENO"

Type in anger and you will make the greatest post you will ever regret.

"Sweetest's" Military Aviation Art

Some elaboration on ENO's already good explanation:

The TGP knows where you are looking, but it does not know what you are looking at. By default, it computes your intended target as being the point on the ground at the center of your camera, not any object that happens to be in-frame. By lasing your target (no need to latch - just give it a squirt and you should be fine, though latching will help if you are forgetful) you are providing the targeting system with an invaluable piece of information - distance to target.

Low-angle attacks will naturally suffer from a greater chance of being off-target if the target is not lased.

A simple graphic:

No_Lase.jpg

Edited by Harzach
  • Like 1

dcs_sig.jpg

2) My main question is he keeps stating when releasing the weapons to DMS Up Short and TMS Up Short etc etc to switch and fire on the targets. I am confused as to the TMS Up Short as he has HUD as SOI and according to the key lists i see that is for "Stabilise". TMS Up Long is make SPI. So shouldn't he be doing

DMS UP SHORT

TMS UP LONG

DMS UP SHORT

TMS UP LONG

Etc etc to switch and make target SPI???

You dont have to do all that. After you have your mark points, go to mark mode, HUD as SOI, press china hat aft long. Now you can DMS up or down to cycle through your targets and its just a matter of pickle and DMS up (or down), pickle and DMS up, etc...you can even have your autopilot on!

[sIGPIC]sigpic72422_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

By lasing your target (no need to latch - just give it a squirt and you should be fine, though latching will help if you are forgetful) you are providing the targeting system with an invaluable piece of information - distance to target.

The range of the laser is pretty limited though. I think that some 8 nm is the limit.

Thanx for all replies guys. How do you lase on command? The only lasing i have done is for LGB's with auto lase on and the 10 second timer. So i am not sure how to latch like he did?

Again thanx for replies as i appreciate people taking the time.

You can lase at any time (provided the laser is not masked by the aircraft) by pressing the pinky button on the stick.

Hi.

I have something in the TGP as Point and i press All 3 pinkie positions and i get no indication that laser is firing. The L is not flashing or changing and no indication i can see in the cockpit.

Help again please.

Stick pinky button, a.k.a NWS/AAR disconnect button, not the throttle pinky switch.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

FYI - The pinkie switch on the side of the throttle controls your exterior lights.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Hi.

What am i doing wrong. I must have tried the same mission 20 times tonight and i can only get 5 outta 6 tanks. And it's always a middle tank. I have attached a Track for you guys to watch.

1) I turn on autopilot and my height is held and i am flying straight to the target. I go to DSMS and Select my 6 GBU-38's.

2) I select my TGP and put it into A-G Mode and turn my laser to Latch on. so it will accurately range my Mark Points and not travel through the targets. Then i turn my TGP to SOI and turn on the CDU in the right MFD so i can see the mark points being made A-F.

3) Less than 6 miles to go so i turn on the laser and and start marking the 6 targets. I have switched the field of view to narrow and also zoomed right in as far as i can go. The marks are directly on the tanks and not in front or behind.(I am using Area and not Point mode.)

4) Hud now as SOI and using Mark instead of steer points. China Hat aft long so i can cycle through the mark points as i pickle. My speed is reduced so i can get all 6 bombs away and away they go.

But never 6 outta 6. Any advice?

Thanx

Thanx

5outta6.trk

Without watching, are you releasing all 6 bombs or is one not releasing? If its not releasing it seems pretty obvious that it would be cause you overflew the target.

If its just releasing and not hitting it has to be with how you marked the target. The bomb is guided to a point so what point is it hitting?

I should probably watch the track but if its just missing then it implies an issue with your mark point unless you're just so off course when you drop it that it can't inertially get onto the position you designate (which I'm not even sure is possible, more likely I'd think this would just lead to an invalid solution in your HUD).

Warning: Nothing I say is automatically correct, even if I think it is.

Well do you observe where the off target one actually hits? It may give an indication. If its totally off of the longitudinal axis of the predicted bomb line then it certainly would be interesting.

I can't really comment more til I've seen it and by then I expect someone with some real knowledge should come along. If not, tomorrow I'll have a look.

Warning: Nothing I say is automatically correct, even if I think it is.

I'll try to remember to watch, but it'll probably not happen until late tonight. Hopefully someone else will get there first.

From memory, it really should be simple; create markpoints, then just select markpoint (and make sure that's SPI), pickle, select next markpoint, pickle, etcetera. I typically spamsatically TMS a bit as well, but I think that that's not necessary. Anyhow, will check tonight, was a while since I did this with the A-10.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

After watching your track, I think its a combination of low speed, releasing the bombs with the PBIL outside the pipper, so your "small" Mk 82 missed a MBT by a few feet and it didnt kill it.

I would try the same at 200k+ and the PBIL dead center in the pipper.

[sIGPIC]sigpic72422_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

After watching your track, I think its a combination of low speed, releasing the bombs with the PBIL outside the pipper, so your "small" Mk 82 missed a MBT by a few feet and it didnt kill it.

I would try the same at 200k+ and the PBIL dead center in the pipper.

Ok Thanx. Although i thought low speed would have helped especially trying to get 6 targets in a straight line and to keep getting release authorisation.

Low speed also means less energy on the bomb, making it harder for the bomb to maneuver. Better to release faster and at distance (offers you greater clearance to the target as well, towards avoiding any hidden defences around it).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester