P-51 stall characteristic

Kwiatek

That's interesting to know, though I wasn't saying that the P-51's airfoil necessarily gives it poor lift slope or peak CL, just that its being a laminar flow wing would reduce its critical AoA compared to the same or similar airfoil with vortex generators on the leading edge, or something similar to trip the flow into turbulence. However, I suppose that transition could be more easily achieved naturally at higher AoA since you get a leading edge low pressure spike followed by a pressure rise.

Do you agree that laminar flow separates more easily?

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

Interesting thread :) Remember the P51 was not made for Aerobatics nor stall dogfightings.. but great for what they were intended for.. In real life aerobatic aircraft and WW2 fighters are completely different animals. You'll think twice before wanking your stick around in a WW2 machine.. Spins are constant in your mind ..

Fly it like you stole it..

:megalol:

You'd have to rely on the age-old tried-and-tested 'Honey, it's not the size that matters but the technique' retort when confronted by such comments, although, giving it some second thought, in this instance size, or length, does indeed matter....

Yes, best you stay quiet - I know I would :D

Don't try quoting 'technique' whilst she looks looks over your shoulder at the mangled remains of your last landing attempt.:pilotfly:

Cheers

Stuntie

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 5 months later...

I was wondering if the fast stall is more of the rudders travel problem: while you can deflect the rudders full on the ground, I don't think it would be possible to move them on the same angle in fast flight as the pilot would need to apply enormous force for that. Our sticks on the other hand, always allow for the full movement.

I'm wondering, if it is possible to adjust my X65f X/Y/Z curves by the force feedback output, so on high speeds the force needed for full deflection would increase and the controls get more precise that way. Would it be possible?

As your speed increases you need less control movement for the same effect.

Naturally if you want to move the stick the same distance, you'll need more muscle force, but the movement in the axis of application is that much more.

This as far as I can see is modeled nicely in DCS, and it catches sim players who'd hold their controls in the same position when going from slower to faster speeds, not realising that they're pushing their a/c beyond the accelerated stall point.

It'll be nice to have decent Force-Feedback, but who can afford this for a computer game

:)