Can't carry triple JDAMS?

bunraku

Probably has something to do with JDAMs receiving position data from the EGI and your SPI.

JDAMs need to be placed on a smart rack otherwise they won't work right.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Antec DF-85 Case, Asus Sabertooth Z77, Intel i5-3570k Ivy Bridge 3.4 GHz, air-cooled with Noctua NH-D14,

Corsair Vengeance 16GB, EVGA GTX 560 TI, Corsair Professional Series 750W, Creative Sound Blaster X-fi Titanium HD, ASUS EA-N66 Wireless Adapter

With the GBU-38 when you press the release weapon switch the positional data is sent to the navigation system on the JDAM. While the GBU-12 "receives" it's data some seconds before impact by means of a laser. There is no data sent to the LGB before the drop like the JDAM.

70mm rockets in DCS are as effective as suppositories, they only work if you manage to get them right up the enemies a$$.

I do ok with them not to mention they are very fun in my opion.

You can 3 rack hydras.

I am aware of this.... The question remains. Can anybody give me any reason whatsoever why the 19 round hydra pods where not modeled for DCS?

Because they are not used in real life. The USAF uses only the LAU-131 and LAU-68 launchers, the 19 shot launchers are only used by rotary wing aircraft and the Harriers..

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

I do ok with them not to mention they are very fun in my opion.

I agree they're fun. It was discussed looong time ago and according to ED the rocket effectiveness is correct. Luckily I've never been anywhere close to a rocket explosion so I have no real life experience, but I still believe they're pretty useless in DCS. We've all seen rocket impact barely a few feet away from infantry and the guy stays alive.

I was fooling around with the mission editor the other day and loaded a UH1 with rockets and miniguns and sent it against a bunch of infantry, closely standing together. The effect was that the chopper took the infantrymen one by one with a pair of rockets each, extremely limited area effect.

But the topic was about triple JDAMS...

I was fooling around with the mission editor the other day and loaded a UH1 with rockets and miniguns and sent it against a bunch of infantry, closely standing together. The effect was that the chopper took the infantrymen one by one with a pair of rockets each, extremely limited area effect.

If you choose the m151 you will have much better luck against infantry and area targets. The MK5 as you know is a HEAT warhead and not a HE frag. The topic was JDAMS however it has been covered.

Because they are not used in real life. The USAF uses only the LAU-131 and LAU-68 launchers, the 19 shot launchers are only used by rotary wing aircraft and the Harriers..

Why were they availible in Lock on? Did the A-10A carry them? Or was this overlooked and they were accidentally put in? Any insight as to why they are not used in real life? Why be limited to a 7 round pod when you could have a 19 round pod? If you are going to occupy an entire pylon then why not do it with more rockets? Just dont get it.

I suspect the reason the USAF doesn't use the 19-rocket pods in real life is because they also don't get much use out of unguided rockets in real life.

As far as I'm aware (granted, I wasn't a JTAC, but I was CAS controller-qualified), the A-10 pretty much only uses WP rockets, and then only to mark targets when used in the AFAC role.

Why were they availible in Lock on? Did the A-10A carry them? Or was this overlooked and they were accidentally put in? Any insight as to why they are not used in real life? Why be limited to a 7 round pod when you could have a 19 round pod? If you are going to occupy an entire pylon then why not do it with more rockets? Just dont get it.

Lockon is not a high fidelity sim, and as such many aspects of it are not true to life.

As for the rest, well have a think about weight and drag. A single LAU-131 has the same drag index as 5 (yes 5) Mk-82s. A 19 shot rocket pod might only take one pylon in term of physical size, but the drag added (much more than a 7 shot) would mean having to leave other pylons empty.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

With the GBU-38 when you press the release weapon switch the positional data is sent to the navigation system on the JDAM. While the GBU-12 "receives" it's data some seconds before impact by means of a laser. There is no data sent to the LGB before the drop like the JDAM.

So I guess it will be interesting to see how EPWs (GBU-48/49/50) and LJDAMs (GBU-54/55/56) can be carried since they use laser and inertial positioning data.

What about the LAU-10 Zuni pods? They might offer better splash damage and anti-MBT ability, especially when the laser-guided variant comes into service.

Is the APKWS I/II configured for the A-10C yet?

Edited by marcos