Removed

CptSmiley

A little contradicting...how is "surface area reference numbers" not geometry?

Perhaps. I was referring to the total frontal and vertical surface areas as defined for SFMs. The position, size, deflection, and shape of control surfaces are not defined. It is a simplified flight model.

you use AVL or some analysis tool derive control coefficients simply by only having to describe aircraft geometry.

Don't get hung up on this, I'm warning you now. :smilewink:

I'm just really confused on how, when utilizing the SFM, that it knows that when I pull back on the stick it means that I am telling the elevator to go leading edge down which induces a pitching moment of some amount.

It's simplified. You have CyA, which essentially defines the slope of the CL vs A curve, and CyMax, which defines a maximum lift value. If you want to further limit pitch rate, consider limiting maximum angle of attack. Novice aerodynamic theory suggests a near-linear angle of attack change per unit of control deflection. I would suggest that SFM allows a linear angle of attack change proportional to CyMax, or something of that nature. You have no control over it.

There is nothing in the Wunderluft example that describes how elevator, aileron, and rudder deflections work..they just do. Is it somewhere in the cockpit or input lua files?

Nope.

How does the 3d model even know to animate the surfaces a given deflection?

That's kind of a "why is the sky blue" question. The animation is created by the modeler. He can give it a range of deflection. The SFM dlls will make use of that entire animation range. (-1 to 1)

I'm clear on the static aerodynamic coefficient definitions within the SFM configurations...just how control theory works within DCS.

You just get what you get.

why do i feel like im back in college all of a sudden,.... where's the co-eds;

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

If that is really the case, then wouldn't all SFM aircraft essentially be controlled and flown very similarly.

Yes. Of course, all real aircraft share handling qualities, but SFMs are decidedly homogeneous.

Maybe for you it is, but for someone who is just beginning to figure out how the an aircraft is configured in LUA, it is not, that is obviously why I asked the question in the first place.

You have a point. My lenses are somewhat tinted.

What you are saying is that internally, a 3D modeler defines a part as "elevator_part" with a given animation range, then DCS internally knows that when I pull back on the stick to animate "elevator_part" proportional to how much I pull back on the stick?

Exactly. For now.

What you are saying is that internally, a 3D modeler defines a part as "elevator_part" with a given animation range, then DCS internally knows that when I pull back on the stick to animate "elevator_part" proportional to how much I pull back on the stick?

Smiley, that`s what you need I think, cool animation tutorial for EDM models, probably you saw it?

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1522334&postcount=185

• CptSmiley changed the title to Removed