engine seizure on ground attack training

Ratfink

I've tried the ground attack training mission about 5 times, but I never get to complete it because I experience what I believe is an engine seizure - the prop just stops dead.

I figured this is due to engine overheat maybe, so tried again this time keeping my eye on the temp needle. During climb out with the power on, it creeps out the green zone up toward the red line. So I ease back, to bring the needle back toward the green, but it still seizes.

Fractal Define R4 Case | Core i7-9700K @ 4.9GHz| 64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi | Gigabyte RTX3080 Gaming OC 12GB | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD (OS) | 1TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD (DCS) | 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD (Steam library) | 1TB WD Caviar Black HDD | Corsair 750W Gold PSU | Corsair H60 Hydro Series CPU Cooler | [TrackIR 5 unused] | Meta Quest Pro | TM HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Win 10 Home 64-bit | Asus PG348Q 34" 3440x1440 Monitor | Bose Companion 3 2.1 Sound

• ED Team

Maybe it's a excessive engine sensitivity in the cases it must not seize. We already found it and fixed the issue.

before a patch avoid even cruise power rates with full throttle (near critical altitudes)

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

Track please.

I don't get the option for it when the mission quits, there's no summary screen like when on a mission. Must be different for training.

Fractal Define R4 Case | Core i7-9700K @ 4.9GHz| 64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi | Gigabyte RTX3080 Gaming OC 12GB | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD (OS) | 1TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD (DCS) | 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD (Steam library) | 1TB WD Caviar Black HDD | Corsair 750W Gold PSU | Corsair H60 Hydro Series CPU Cooler | [TrackIR 5 unused] | Meta Quest Pro | TM HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Win 10 Home 64-bit | Asus PG348Q 34" 3440x1440 Monitor | Bose Companion 3 2.1 Sound

I was plagued with engine seizures until I learned these two tricks.

1. On start up, manually open the radiator coolant vent, it's closed by default. Hold it for about 10 secs until fully open. Watch the oil pressure needle ( lower left on the engine instruments) and warm up the engine until the needle falls into to the green. I think oil viscosity is modeled, so it has to thin out, or too much pressure will crack the heads. Set the vent back to auto once it's warmed up.

2. When airborne, if the oil temp (top gauge on engine instruments) heads toward red, manually open the radiator oil vent (hold it for 10 secs), you should see the oil temp start to fall. Set it back to auto but keep an eye on it.

I haven't had an engine seizure since I followed these tips.

• Like 1

1. On start up, manually open the radiator coolant vent, it's closed by default. Hold it for about 10 secs until fully open. Watch the oil pressure needle ( lower left on the engine instruments) and warm up the engine until the needle falls into to the green. I think oil viscosity is modeled, so it has to thin out, or too much pressure will crack the heads. Set the vent back to auto once it's warmed up.

2. When airborne, if the oil temp (top gauge on engine instruments) heads toward red, manually open the radiator oil vent (hold it for 10 secs), you should see the oil temp start to fall. Set it back to auto but keep an eye on it.

thanks, I'll try that

Thanks Tailgate this has been driving me nuts. Last night I was trying to do the "Red Rover" single mission and the first time I loaded the mission the engine seized instantly within seconds of the mission start. I hit the refly button and this time it didnt seize up right away. I am flying along and the gauges appear to show nominal reading for a good 30 minutes of flying and then it happens again!

Then I try the free fly quick mission and it was all I could do to keep the RPM out of the redline. I had to drop MP down to half normal cruise. Reflying the mission and this time it didn't happen.

--Maulkin

Windows 10 64-bit - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @ 3.7 GHz - 32 GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM - EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 - Asus Crosshair VIII Hero motherboard - Samsung EVO Pro 1 TB SSD - TrackIR 4 Pro - Thrustmaster Warthog - Saitek rudder pedals - Lilliput UM-80/C with TM Cougars

ok, so I just went into the instant action ground attack instead of training mission, and seizure occurs after 1st pass of the BTRs. Track attached.

engine seizure.trk

after reading some of the advice on other threads, I managed to survive the whole mission without blowing the engine.

Basically, I kept the throttle back to keep MP in the green always and left rpm around 2700, just changing rpm to around 1800 when in the dive, and going back up to 2700 to climb out. If the oil temp rises, then I just opened the rad oil doors with lalt+s.

If my assumption is right, then the throttle only needs slight adjustment to maintain the desired rpm when speed starts to drop off

I think controlling RPM is more important than controlling MP as long as MP is not redlining.

The manual shows higher MP than the green section. The manual shows Max Continuous is at 46 MP, 2700 RPM, Max Cruise at 42 MP at 2400 RPM, both MP's are above the MP green zone which tops out at 36. I'm not actually sure what the MP Green zone is for? I try to maintain 45 to 50 MP, but even at full throttle at higher pre-blower and post- blower altitudes, you'll see the MP start dropping.