how good will my new system be

ladies and gents, first post here.

have been into flight sim games for many many years now, and now its time for me to get a new system, which i can tell you is not going to be cheap. I do not have and of the DCS titles as of yet but cannot wait, one of the reasons im getting a new system, from what you know and your advice, can you tell me how well this new system will run the DCS titles, name A-10 warthog of course.

Intel® Core™ i7-3820 (Four Core, 10MB Cache 3.60GHz)

1.5GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 660

8 gb Q DDR3 SDRAM at 1600Mhz

English Windows® 7 Professional (64 BIT)

i have only listed a few items as they are the ones i have the potential to upgrade on if needed.

i also intend to get things like track ir5 and the a-10 hotas warthog.

many thanks in advance.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It will do fine as long as you OC the CPU. The GTX 660 is good but dont run the HDR, MSAA or ground clutter and your FPS will be ok. I have the EVGA 660 TI SC and still cant run at full settings. My CPU is OC to 4.1gh (AMD 1100T 8gb ram @ 1600)

Home built PC Win 10 Pro 64bit, MB ASUS Z170 WS, 6700K, EVGA 1080Ti Hybrid, 32GB DDR4 3200, Thermaltake 120x360 RAD, Custom built A-10C sim pit, TM WARTHOG HOTAS, Cougar MFD's, 3D printed UFC and Saitek rudders. HTC VIVE VR.

https://digitalcombatmercenaries.enjin.com/

I was pleasantly surprised with the performance of my new Asus G75 compared to that of my old laptop.

Win 7 64

2.3 GHz i7 (3.2 max turbo)

GTX 660M

8 GB RAM

I can hit 60 FPS under certain conditions with all settings on high except water (never tried it on anything other than low) MSAA set to 2x, HDR off.

Average is 25-30 FPS and I don't really go below 20. Your computer should be fine as it's better than mine all around.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

Your rig should run the sim just fine. What DCS needs is a powerful CPU, and you´ve got that one covered.

If you have a little spare cash you may wanna consider picking up a GTX 670 or even 680. Won´t help you all that much in DCS (and the 660 is a mighty fine card too, don´t get me wrong), but other games will really profit from it.

EDIT: Not sure if you already have one or not, but I can also recommend getting an SSD. Doesn´t need to be all that big, just enough to run Windows, the DCS series plus another thing or three. It won´t give you more frames, but helps a lot in case you experience stuttering, and also the load times are just absolutely sweet. From cold to desktop in less than 15 seconds is something you will really start to appreciate.

Edited by Cookie
  • Like 1

- Two miles of road lead nowhere, two miles of runway lead everywhere -

Click here for system specs

Should do just fine, ofcourse a bit dependent on your demands regarding eye candy.

If you intend to use more then one monitor i would go whit a GFX card whit more Vram.

Personally im running DCS whit a phenom II @3.4Ghz and Radeon 6950 2GB card and 8GB of RAM on the MB running W7 64.

Everything max except;

trees/ground clutter

no cockpit mirrors

2x AA

no HDR (due to a bug whit the 69xx series of cards)

no tsaa

averaging 25-30fps, which is plenty for a fluent gameplay experience.

From cold to desktop in less than 15 seconds is something you will really start to appreciate.

mmm, got two SSDs (one for os, other for games) and after almost a year now there starting to get a bit slower, and i got used to the speed in like,

1 day?

Still, if you have the cash, definitely a good idea to get 1 or two.

Edited by 159th_Falcon

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The keeper of all mathematical knowledge and the oracle of flight modeling.:)

Thank you for the replys so far, was just what I'm looking for.

I may have the option, penny depending on upgrading to Intel® Core™ i7-3930K (Six Core, 12MB Cache Overclocked up to 4.1Ghz)

And also as suggested a 670 or 680 graphics card

I'm a big fan of flight simulator X which is very very CPU dependent, hence why I may upgrade the CPU further

Also for the same reason why I'm toying with the idea of having an SSD as an additional drive purely for FSX and all DCS software

I won't ask to get into it much now but I take it were you guys are saying no to certain settings they are purely in game graphic options

Edited by jd_jay

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm far from an expert but from what I've read, and this goes for a whole host of other titles like FSX, the general rule is that the main game/sim runs on one core and maybe sounds or something on another core, I have read about people doing things with the cores that are far to technical for me to even start to talk about lol

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Since DCS is heavily CPU dependent.....can it utilize multicores?

Would a 6 core sandy bridge be a better choice than a 4 core Ivy Bridge?

NO, it will only run sound engine in second core so cpu speed is what maters, IVY 3570K etc.. and OC as far you can :thumbup:

Oculus CV1, Odyssey, Pimax 5k+ (i5 8400, 24gb ddr4 3000mhz, 1080Ti OC )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

IMHO, buying a 1.5Gb GPU is a mistake.

I feed you some screens i just made. Nothing was overclocked so far.

I tried this with 4.2 Ghz, but as long as it's fluid at stock speed, no need to overheat my cpu.

First : The setup

Intel I7 3770k @3.5/3.9Ghz stock speed/fan

Gigabyte Z77 D3H supporting PCI 3x SLI for later at 8x

Transcend SSD320

8Gb Kingston Genesis Predator DDR3 2400Mhz

Asus GTX 670 DcuII 2GB stock speed.

2nd : DCS setup

DCS_Settings.thumb.jpg.6d66ef1ba16f1cd383fb11f290366a12.jpg

Water High mhhhhhhhhh sooooo nice ! ;)

3rd : Mission generated large Battle over Georgia's Capital at sunset

mission_editor_largebattle.thumb.jpg.1fa5cf41c041a45cac31e90f48b03374.jpg

4th : FPS in game, in the heaviest CPU consumption craft : KA-50

BS2_Tbili_HD.thumb.jpg.723064e8a7f44c1b5b4d97ffe84fa2cf.jpg

5th and what you're looking for : Windows monitoring :

Monitoring.thumb.jpg.13d8be47050e84f9c73de8c07f675dd7.jpg

You can see its nearly max out 2 cores (111% total, 1 core= 50% because of hyperthread)

Take a look at GPU-Z now, GPU load 75% in cockpit, 100% external view.

VRAM used 1700MB, used to see 1860MB earlier today.

FPS never dropped below 29FPS. usually 39, up to 100.

So, conclusion, i'm glad i bought one 670 for the price of 2x660.

And by the way, Asus DCUII are the quietest cards on the market, 3y warranty. very good investment (i've burned a X1900XT and GT8800 just after a year each)

TASK / ROLES acronyms guide

Black Shark A.I. datalink guide illustrated (v1.2.4 Available on Wiki)

DCS World Codex 1.1 : full units list (Speed/Weapons/Armor thickness/Threat zone/Weapon damage...) (Oct 2013)

BlackShark 2 1.2.x Bug and glitches thread (v1.2.7)

Was good to see what you have put there Erforce, thank you for spending your time doing that.

Question: in DCS, what is classed as a good - very good - excellent FPS? And what effects does it have in game, I'm no stranger to FPS as I have been playing FSX for years and years on not the best system.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Oh you like it ? thanks ;) Leafer i bought this after advices i received in other thread

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=94692

I still really regret my dual Xeons chips not working well with DCS, and the top quality finish design of MacPro, but... well...

If there was a Overclockable 4Ghz+ MacPro at 2500$, i would buy it once again without any doubt.

Jd jay, youre welcome ;)

Not really sure i've understood your question. Are you asking what taking most effort running DCS? if that so, it's a quite hard question...

DCS World Codex 1.1 : full units list (Speed/Weapons/Armor thickness/Threat zone/Weapon damage...) (Oct 2013)

Question: in DCS, what is classed as a good - very good - excellent FPS? And what effects does it have in game, I'm no stranger to FPS as I have been playing FSX for years and years on not the best system.

Well, FPS is highly subjective. Some people want it to be as high as possible while others are contempt with lower FPS. And this is usually when the fighting starts and people say "you don't need more than X" or "the human eye can't perceive more than Y" and so on. :)

My personal opinion: In general I try to get at least 30 FPS, and if possible 60 FPS (which is the frequency of most monitors nowadays). Excellent FPS would be more than 60 FPS all of the time, because then I can enable VSync.

As for your graphics card: If you plan on flying FSX / Prepar3D or X-Plane as well then I highly suggest buying a graphics card with at least 2 GB of RAM, 3 GB would be even better.

If not and you want to fly mostly DCS then the general rule of thumb is: The faster your CPU the better. Your graphics card doesn't impact FPS that much.

You can read more about FPS in DCS in this thread: Comparable FPS results

In the first two posts on that page you can see how my FPS increased when I switched my graphics card and when I OC'ed my CPU a bit more. The faster CPU gave the biggest increase.

• Like 1

IMHO, buying a 1.5Gb GPU is a mistake.

I feed you some screens i just made. Nothing was overclocked so far.

I tried this with 4.2 Ghz, but as long as it's fluid at stock speed, no need to overheat my cpu.

First : The setup

Intel I7 3770k @3.5/3.9Ghz stock speed/fan

Gigabyte Z77 D3H supporting PCI 3x SLI for later at 8x

Transcend SSD320

8Gb Kingston Genesis Predator DDR3 2400Mhz

Asus GTX 670 DcuII 2GB stock speed.

2nd : DCS setup

[ATTACH]72822[/ATTACH]

Water High mhhhhhhhhh sooooo nice ! ;)

3rd : Mission generated large Battle over Georgia's Capital at sunset

[ATTACH]72823[/ATTACH]

4th : FPS in game, in the heaviest CPU consumption craft : KA-50

[ATTACH]72824[/ATTACH]

5th and what you're looking for : Windows monitoring :

[ATTACH]72825[/ATTACH]

You can see its nearly max out 2 cores (111% total, 1 core= 50% because of hyperthread)

Take a look at GPU-Z now, GPU load 75% in cockpit, 100% external view.

VRAM used 1700MB, used to see 1860MB earlier today.

FPS never dropped below 29FPS. usually 39, up to 100.

So, conclusion, i'm glad i bought one 670 for the price of 2x660.

And by the way, Asus DCUII are the quietest cards on the market, 3y warranty. very good investment (i've burned a X1900XT and GT8800 just after a year each)

Great. I'm planning to go for this and reuse my HD 7970 GPU and SSD disk:

SYS: ASUS P8Z77-V PRO, Socket-1155 ATX, Z77, DDR3, 3xPCIe, VGA USB3.0

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770 Quad Prosessor 3.4GHz, 8MB, BOXED v/fan Ivy Bridge

MEM: Corsair Dominator GT DDR3 2133MHz 16GB kit 4x4 GB, CL9-11-10-27, i7, Quad Plat.

PSU: Chieftec Nitro Series BPS-950C 950W PSU ATX, 12v V2.3, 4x 6+2pin PCIe, 6xSATA

DISK2: Seagate Barracuda® 2TB SATA 6Gb/s (SATA 3.0), 64MB Cache, 7200RPM, 3.5"

COOLING: ANTEC KÜHLER H2O 920 LIQUID COOLING S-1155/1156/1366/AM3/AM3+

BOX: Antec Nine Hundred Two V3 Tower No PSU Black ATX

DVD: Sony Optiarc DVD Recorder 24x SATA

Not going for the OC CPU as I plan to use turbo mode with 3.9GHz as default. Also looking for some upgrade kit for my dedicated server. I'm not sure it will be a big difference from my current AMD 6 core but it has served my well for a couple of years and needs to rest.

Jack

Hi Hijack ! i see you found this thread before i get a chance to respond in the other ;)

Well, i think you know everything now. as DCS uses 2 cores, your 3770k will be at 3900Mhz anyway. With a nice reserve for later.

Your GPU should be fine too, maybe loudy :)

MoBo has 12+4+2 phases, which is very good, i hope you the best !

I saw in many tests DDR3 1600+ was useless for games but heh...

I took Ivy bridge for futureproofing experience only...

Okay okay... i confess...

There was no 2700k left in the shop :D :D

Well, i'm still happy anyway !

Edit : i just tried BS2 with 2screens (3840x1200).. fly shukumi, and OMG so beautiful ! Unfortunately, the split screen could be annoying. Anyway, my 3rd screen was already planned. Still 30fps+ with this system.

Edited by Erforce

I saw in many tests DDR3 1600+ was useless for games but heh...

From what i recall though from the days FSX was fresh (besides size) RAM clocks are helping significantly FSX

i7 880 | HD 7870 | 8 Gb DDR3 1600 | ECS P55H-A | OCZ Vertex 2 180 | Intel 330 180 | WD 500 AAKS | 2x WD 2T Green | Enermax Liberty 620 | CH Combatstick & Throttle | TrackIR 3 | HP ZR24W | Windows 7 x64

Squid, that is correct, but at this time the performance gains in all games I've seen benchmarks of show that anything above 1600 is just not worth it. You'll end up paying double for 1 to 2 percent performance increase.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Squid, that is correct, but at this time the performance gains in all games I've seen benchmarks of show that anything above 1600 is just not worth it. You'll end up paying double for 1 to 2 percent performance increase.

I havent been constant at all with developments, is that applying too to sims especially ED titles ?

i7 880 | HD 7870 | 8 Gb DDR3 1600 | ECS P55H-A | OCZ Vertex 2 180 | Intel 330 180 | WD 500 AAKS | 2x WD 2T Green | Enermax Liberty 620 | CH Combatstick & Throttle | TrackIR 3 | HP ZR24W | Windows 7 x64

I don't have up-to-date information there, but I will mention that on my previous computer I did run tests between 800MHz DDR2 RAM and OCing it to 1100MHz. There was no effect.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Great advice and so very true. Throwing large amounts of cash at barely perceptible performance improvements is frivolous and not just where memory is concerned. Few even consider this when purchasing a system. Be well informed and you will get the most performance for the dollar spent. There is a cut off point beyond which a little faster costs a lot more and it simply isn't worth it. Of course it is very subjective for each individual. Just further food for thought.

Out

Edited by PoleCat

For once that EthernalN (almost) agrees with me on a computer perf, i will drink Champagne for our sake !

I took 2400mhz ddr3 because i didn't wanted to discuss more with the seller about RAM.

But it's not faster anyway. And i don't fly M$ sims ;)