Can slave maverick to TGP, cannot lock maverick to target.

DoctorStrop

Hi all,

I'm new to A10c converting from the KA50.

I am trying to launch mavericks from the TGP using the following key combos;

lctrl up to get point

hold lctrl up to get the focus on TGP

hold v to slave maverick seaker head

hold k to make maverick SOI

From what I have read the maverick should lock and I should get a solid cross. My joystick buttons are goosed so I only use keyboard short cuts.

I am presuming I am missing something. Hopefully someone can fill in the blanks.

cheers

Andy

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i7 6700K, 32GB Corsair 2400Mhz, 970 NVMe 500Gb SSD, GeForce 2080 super, HP Reverb, VKB GF PRO, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle, Thrustmaster Pendular rudders, Windows + DCS :thumbup:

My youtube channel

From what I read...once the mav is looking at where the TGP is looking...it looks for a ground target to lock on to. If it doesn't see it...it won't lock. the lock is designated by the flashing cross. I have personally had to set a slow slew rate in mav panel and slightly slew the mav seeker to get it to lock on to the target.

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

IIRC, an old version of the manual indicated that lock was a solid cross but that was an error.

Also, instead of trying to slew the cursor to get a lock try just TMS Forward (don't know the key command off the top of my head) when the cross hair is on the target.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Thanks for the fast reply. I will try that. I had seen about rocking the seaker head, but I could never reacquire the target, probably because I never thought to reduce the slew rate.

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i7 6700K, 32GB Corsair 2400Mhz, 970 NVMe 500Gb SSD, GeForce 2080 super, HP Reverb, VKB GF PRO, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle, Thrustmaster Pendular rudders, Windows + DCS :thumbup:

My youtube channel

You don't get a solid cross when locking, you just get the gap at the centre of the cross kind of... twinkling and getting smaller around the general area of the target lock. Also, I believe the boresight reference cross (that cross that moves around as you slew the Mav) blinks if its an "iffy" lock and goes solid if its a proper lock. No idea if thats true but I read it on these forums that it was representative of realistic Maverick locking behavior but that the quality of the lock is in no way different in the sim.

Solid aiming cross is however indicative of a Force Correlate mode Maverick. Useful for sniping stationary targets at maximum missile flight range while usually well outside of actual lock range.

Warning: Nothing I say is automatically correct, even if I think it is.

• 6 years later...

TMS Forward Short has never worked for me to get a lock. I slew the TGP to the target, designate the target, set it as SPI, select MAV as SOI, slave MAV to SPI, the crosshairs are on the target but not locked, and TMS Forward Short does nothing. I have to slew the seeker around a little at which point it may or may not lock.

What am I doing wrong, and is there a use for TMS Forward Short besides allegedly locking a maverick target after using the TGP?

What am I doing wrong, and is there a use for TMS Forward Short besides allegedly locking a maverick target after using the TGP?

Without a track, it's hard to tell.

This is my procedure (note I have custom keybinds) :

DSMS Select Mavericks
Set Mavericks on RH MFCD
Use UFC to set Mav Slew to 1.0 (UFC 1, then OSB8 )

Set TGP A-G on LH MFCD as SOI (coolie hat left, Delete)
Boat Switch Forward to Switch IR Mode WHot [R-Ctrl+ LH Arrow]
Find target using Slew controls (Arrow keys)
China Hat Forward-Short to change FOV (R-Shift+Up Arrow)
DMS Up/Dn to Zoom In/Out (R-Shift+POV Hat)
TMS Up-Short to cycle Area/Point track (R-Ctrl+POV Hat Up)

TMS Up-Long to set TGP as SPI generator (R-Ctrl+POV Hat Up)
HUD Bottom LH shows TGP as SPI

China Hat Forward-Long to slave all sensors to the SPI
(R-Shift+Up Arrow)

Maverick as SOI (coolie hat right, PgDn)
TMS Up-Short to Lock on Mark Point

Tested using AGM-65D's @ 5 NM in DCS Open Beta 2.5.4.28090

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Yep, same procedure, except TMS Up Short does nothing. No lock, the crosshairs don't change, and if I press the weapons release button it just says Launch Inhibit.

Can I ask which kind of Maverick are you trying to launch? The optical model (Hotel iirc) has crap range lock. Try using the Delta (D) model and you will be able to lock (TMS Up) from 8 miles away.

Remember to look at your HUD. You will see a range caret on a range bar on the left side of it.

Also for the TMS up to work you need to have the Mav as SOI (sensor of Interest)

It is a bit messy the first times, but once you get the whole idea of how the systems work together, it is a very powerful system.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If it's coming up with launch inhibit, you may be too far out of the keyhole to lock. In other words, the target needs to be pretty close to the line of sight of the missile to lock it up. Best line it up in a shallow dive rather than flying straight and level.. TMS up short is the correct button press for locking the missile.

i5-7600K @ 4.8 | 32GB | 1080 | Rift S | TM MFD & WH HOTAS-10mm ext + TFRP

I've tried with both Maverick types and at many different ranges. TMS Up Short never does anything, I always have to slew around to try to get a lock. I even checked that my TMS control was assigned correctly.

Very frustrating.

If you post a track of your flight where you try to do this, chances are one of us will be able to see right away what step you're forgetting. :)

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

TMS Forward Short has never worked for me to get a lock. I slew the TGP to the target, designate the target, set it as SPI, select MAV as SOI, slave MAV to SPI, the crosshairs are on the target but not locked, and TMS Forward Short does nothing. I have to slew the seeker around a little at which point it may or may not lock.

I always just slew the MAVs around a bit to get a solid lock. Also, are you in range?

DCS A10C / DCS Black Shark /DCS F-14/Persian Gulf map/ Nevada/huey/gazelle/f18/f16/ajs37/harrier/A-4

16gb 2400 RAM / Ryzen 5 3600 / ROG Strix RX 570 /750W thermaltake PSU

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes, well within range. If slewing the seeker around is required to get a lock, then what's the purpose of TMS Up Short?

Maybe it's just that the optical Mavs don't really lock anyway. I slew them around on good, high contrast targets at close range and they hardly ever lock. I know I'm doing everything correctly because I've watched dozens of videos and read dozens of posts, they just don't lock very often.

Maybe it's just that the optical Mavs don't really lock anyway.

In the Harrier the optical Maverick's had a range of 3-4 NM, I haven't tested the A-10C but it's most likely similar.

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Yes, well within range. If slewing the seeker around is required to get a lock, then what's the purpose of TMS Up Short?

Maybe it's just that the optical Mavs don't really lock anyway. I slew them around on good, high contrast targets at close range and they hardly ever lock. I know I'm doing everything correctly because I've watched dozens of videos and read dozens of posts, they just don't lock very often.

No problems here trying to get a lock with TMS up short. Just make sure the crosshairs are already on the target (slaved from TGP) when you try to lock. You can go to close FOV (China hat fwd) to zoom in closer to the target, just like you do with the TGP. You’re going to have to be within 6nm typically, sometimes even 2-3nm and taking fire from AAA before you can get a lock. It just depends on the target and the background. The target needs to be in front of you. If it’s off to the side too much, you may still see the target in the MCFD, but won’t be able to lock on to it. If these conditions are met and you still can’t lock, you may have to fudge it a little by slewing and trying to get it to lock automatically when you release the slew.

While it’s not as quick as a visual acquisition, the method that works best for me is to first pick up the target with my TGP and set it to point track (especially if it’s a moving target). I set my left MFCD as the TGP and the right MFCD as my Mav display. Set the TGP as SOI and after “locking” on with the TGP, I set the SPI to my TGP (TMS up long). Next, I switch over to the Mav display and make it SOI and then slave the seeker to my TGP line of sight by pressing China hat forward long. Now your Mav should be right on the target. I then glance up at the HUD and make sure I’m pretty much heading right at the target, then glance back to the Mav display and confirm crosshairs still on the target, then I just keep tapping TMS up short every 1 second until lock is established. After target is destroyed, don’t forget your victory barrel roll :)

My DCS Missions: Band of Buds series | The End of the T-55 Era | Normandy PvP | Host of the Formation Flight Challenge server

Supercarrier Reference Kneeboards

IRL: Private Pilot, UAS Test Pilot, Aircraft Designer, and... eh hem... DCS Enthusiast

I agree zooming in (narrow FOV, china forward short) is the most obvious missing step. I assume its modeled as such, but the tracking is optical so without going narrow fov you are asking the tracking to lock on to a smaller object.

Custom Pit 476 Recruiting

i9-12900KF, 32 GB DDR5, Gigabyte Aorus Z690 Master, Gigabyte RTX 2080 Ti, 1TB Sabrent Roket 4+ 2x750GB RAID-0, TrackIR 5 /w clip, CRG9 49” Curved Ultrawide Flight Display+15" Touchscreen+17" Gauges display, Thrustmaster Warthog+7.5cm, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, Streamdeck, Butt Kicker and pneumatic G-Seat

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20220716.png

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20221002.png

With the Mav H I had to be within < 4 nm to lock the Mav to the target. Apart from the limited locking range, no problem though. I could even lock on to an infanterist and hit him with the Mav H.

However - why bother to use a missile with such a limited effective range? You have to get way too close to the target area and its air defenses. I always use the IR Mavs.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

Once the Maverick MFD is SOI (after slaving lock from TGP), and you have the solid cross in the Maverick MFD, sometimes you need to "SPAM" the TMS short forward a few times. When she starts flashing (cross), let her rip.

Also, I have found that around 3.8 km out seems to be the best range for lock by Mav regardless of model, using just the MAV MFD, and tracking locking with the MAV seeker. Also dependent on background noise like surrounding terrain, can sometimes launch out around 4 or 5 nm. Just mash that TMS forward a couple of times, and it will lock up.

Force Correlate is a different animal and can extend those ranges significantly.

FYI, FWIW.

Edited by SmirkingGerbil
Forgot about Force Correlate.

Pointy end hurt! Fire burn!!
JTF-191 25th Draggins - Hawg Main. Black Shark 2, A10C, A10CII, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Mig-15, Mig-19, Mig-21, P-51, F-15, Su-27, Su-33, Mig-29, FW-190 Dora, Anton, BF 109, Mossie, Normandy, Caucasus, NTTR, Persian Gulf, Channel, Syria, Marianas, WWII Assets, CA. (WWII backer picked aircraft ME-262, P-47D).

...why bother to use a missile with such a limited effective range? You have to get way too close to the target area and its air defenses. I always use the IR Mavs.

Why bother? Because in Force Correlate mode, TV-Mavs have a greater "effective" range than IR Mavs. You can pop SAMs from 10-14 nm out. IR's achieve lock at 7.5 or less.