Panels, consoles creadet by 3D printers?

JaBoG32_Prinzartus

Well, certainly they look intresting and I think could be very useful to cockpit builders, only issue I can see at the mo, is the size of item that can be currently printed at home. I understand that it is still a fairly small printing area. I've got a few ww1 aircraft that I had printed by a firm online for my wings of war game I play. The quality really does differ with every order some are good, some are bloody awful.

Strangely I've never thought of seeing of they could print out panels for me. Mmmmmm I wonder.

Anyway I think it's a technology worth watching closely, if the home printers get a bigger print area and it allows you to print fully moving parts, then it's just a matter of time before we will be able to print out fully working instruments just as easy as printing off an checklist now.

Maybe in a couple of years time this will be a reality, certainly I know myself and my best mate have discussed this scenario at length and have agreed that if the tech turns up and at a affordable price I.E. £1000 or less, to go halfs on a printer.

For now though, I'm just watching the tech with intreast.

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

They might be perfect for printing buttons and knobs, provided the material is solid enough?

System: Asus z270 A Prime, Intel i7-7700K 4.8GHz, 32GB DDR4, RTX2080, Samsung 500GB 850 EVO SSD.

Valve Index VR, TM Warthog Throttle & Grip, Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 base, TM TPDR Rudders.

I've been interested in 3D printing for a long time. The up-front investment is steep, but if you're a tinkerer like me, it'd be useful immediately. I wouldn't think panels would be an effective use for the technology, but certainly knobs, oddly-shaped small parts, and ornamental pieces would be fun to whip out on demand.

I see the latest offering from MakerBot is just over $2000, so it'll be within reach very soon. Ah, wish lists are fun.

Subtractive machining is more cost effective than additive machining. Laser cut or 3-axis CNC cut panels are the way to go. Look at it purely from the cost per 1 inch^3 to manufacture and laser cut/cnc always will come out on top as more cost effective and better suited. As a machinist always use the right tools for the job. Additive machining is not the right tool.

Edited by BHawthorne

3D printing will undoubtably be helpful, but not for making full panels. I can think of a few uses though.

1) printing a knob you don't have access to, usually to cast for a mold.

2) brackets to hold panel components (PCBs, LCD displays, etc)

3) custom gears and ratchet assemblies for unique moving parts (a-10 refuel lever, gearing for a custom joystick gimbal, etc)

can they print with transparent materials yet?

Not that I'm aware of. If you need that do mold of your 3d printed object and then pour one with a clear resin would be what you need to do.

Even with knobs I'm more apt to subtractive CNC a mold to pour resin into. I'm used to that kind of thing with composite knowledge though.

I believe that. For me I'd be more inclined to print than learning to use all the appropriate milling tools. There is a lot more finishing work to make a 3D print be final quality though, but it's work I'm capable of doing.