Impossible to start mission with clients joining the server at once

Kaiza

I have just come out of 2.5 hours of trying to start another MP mission that has been a complete mess. We have tried this multiple times on multiple servers with the same result every time. Are we the only Squad that launch flights after a brief where everyone joins together?

We have tried:

-Keeping the server paused until all clients in pit

-Keeping the server paused until all clients are spectators

-Joining one at a time

-Joining together normally

What we get:

-Most commonly:

as soon as the game is unpaused or the client is in the pit, massive warping to the point where aircraft crash into each other and the tarmac becomes a mess of burning A-10s. People rejoin the slot and warping continues. We try to ride it out to let the server calm down but the piles of wrecked A-10s gets so big no one can join any slots. It is impossible to play.

But also:

-People cant join the server

-People get connection interupted when trying to join

-People get server ping timeout error

-People can get in to the server but can't join any slots

-Server ping spikes from 1000ms back down to normal

The server is 70meg up and similar down. It is set to "LAN". Tonight we restricted players to 6 to try and help the stability, but no change.

What I would like to know is two things:

1- Do any other squads/groups run missions where clients join the server together at a similar time, and if so do you see these problems?

2- Is this a logged issue that is currently being worked on at ED?

Many thanks for any help in advance. I am pretty much at my wits end, so any help is very much appreciated.

[url=http://www.aef-hq.com.au/aef4/forumdisplay.php?262-Digital-Combat-Simulator][SIGPIC]http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/2500/a10161sqnsignitureedite.png[/SIGPIC][/url]

• ED Team

are you running 1.2.1.6288 latest version ?

We used to get warping at mission start but 1.2.1 seemed to solve it for us, also have you opened the mission in the editor in 1.2.1 and saved it ?

also worth mentioning is the mission a large one, how many units at mission start ? or are you having the issue on all missions?

give that a go and see how you get on.

Edited by BIGNEWY
  • Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Make a free flight mission with A-10C for all squad members and fly around the map for a couple of hours. Then add a few enemy units, lets try 50 to start with, then another 50. Keep adding units and test with all the squad onboard.

What server spec?

What DSL line?

What server OS?

Jack

• Like 1

Thanks for all the input guys. I should have added that flights normally consist of a KA50/A-10 mix. Additionally we had none of these issues prior to the arrival of DCS World.

are you running 1.2.1.6288 latest version ?

We used to get warping at mission start but 1.2.1 seemed to solve it for us, also have you opened the mission in the editor in 1.2.1 and saved it ?

also worth mentioning is the mission a large one, how many units at mission start ? or are you having the issue on all missions?

give that a go and see how you get on.

Yep latest version, yep all missions were modded in 1.2.1 prior to use.

The mission we played last night was doooms "Longstraw". I haven't played it before, but doesn't seem like there is a particularly large number of units on start. We have tried on 4 different missions of various complexities with same results.

What happens if you join an empty mission with just the client A-10Cs in it?

Have not tried that one but will give it a go.

Make a free flight mission with A-10C for all squad members and fly around the map for a couple of hours. Then add a few enemy units, lets try 50 to start with, then another 50. Keep adding units and test with all the squad onboard.

What server spec?

What DSL line?

What server OS?

Jack

It is not my server, but this is what I could dig up:

i7 2600K@3.4GHz, 8gig RAM

Windows server 2008 64 bit

attachment.php?attachmentid=169&d=1340010930

In my squadron we have similar problems, if we use only A-10C works great with around 8-10 players, if we put Ka-50 and CA it´s impossible to run with more than 6 players, the clients get disconected from the server.

On a related note- KA50 guys get kicked a lot more often than our other players. I've asked this elsewhere but is there any possible connection with the fact the server isn't running the KA-50 module?

Both interesting points. I have no idea ENO. The server only has A-10C installed as far as I am aware....

I am going to try and get "Megagoths" .lua mod here:http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1594373&postcount=1 a go. I am crossing my fingers this may help!

Thanks again for all the input.

Edited by Kaiza
[url=http://www.aef-hq.com.au/aef4/forumdisplay.php?262-Digital-Combat-Simulator][SIGPIC]http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/2500/a10161sqnsignitureedite.png[/SIGPIC][/url]

I fly in a squad of 10. Those last couple of pilots really seem to put a strain on the server in big missions.

After some testing in 1.2.1 we've established this set of guidelines for our mission builders. It's on the conservative side but we are stable again.

DESIGNERS SHOULD ADHERE TO THESE ESTABLISHED GUIDELINES WHEN DESIGNING MISSIONS IN DCS WORLD 1.2.1, TO AVOID POTENTIAL MULTIPLAYER STABILITY ISSUES

LAST UPDATE: 10/16/2012

##BEST PRACTICES##

Keep the number of MOVING AI units to under 40 ACTIVE at any time during a mission

Static Objects and NON-moving AI units do not impact network stability

Keep the total number of AI units ACTIVE at any given time during a mission to under 100

DO NOT SPAWN any more than 10 MOVING AI units at MISSION START

Refrain from SPAWNING additional MOVING AI units until after squadron takeoffs

Never SPAWN more than 5 MOVING AI units at a time per minute

##UNITS KNOWN TO CAUSE SEVERE FPS HIT##

Refrain from having these units open fire in a mission

M270 MLRS

GRAD

SMERCH

##WEAPONS KNOWN TO CAUSE SEVERE FPS HIT##

Refrain from using these weapons in a mission

CBU-87

CBU-103

There's a little flexability in there. We've had missions that spawned moving AI groups with 7 or 8 units in them.

As you can see there is a major emphasis on keeping the moving AI down as that's what gave the most improvement.

• Like 1

Thanks Paganus. Do you have mix of aircraft types or just A-10s?

I fly in a squad of 10. Those last couple of pilots really seem to put a strain on the server in big missions.

After some testing in 1.2.1 we've established this set of guidelines for our mission builders. It's on the conservative side but we are stable again.

DESIGNERS SHOULD ADHERE TO THESE ESTABLISHED GUIDELINES WHEN DESIGNING MISSIONS IN DCS WORLD 1.2.1, TO AVOID POTENTIAL MULTIPLAYER STABILITY ISSUES

LAST UPDATE: 10/16/2012

##BEST PRACTICES##

Keep the number of MOVING AI units to under 40 ACTIVE at any time during a mission

Static Objects and NON-moving AI units do not impact network stability

Keep the total number of AI units ACTIVE at any given time during a mission to under 100

DO NOT SPAWN any more than 10 MOVING AI units at MISSION START

Refrain from SPAWNING additional MOVING AI units until after squadron takeoffs

Never SPAWN more than 5 MOVING AI units at a time per minute

##UNITS KNOWN TO CAUSE SEVERE FPS HIT##

Refrain from having these units open fire in a mission

M270 MLRS

GRAD

SMERCH

##WEAPONS KNOWN TO CAUSE SEVERE FPS HIT##

Refrain from using these weapons in a mission

CBU-87

CBU-103

There's a little flexability in there. We've had missions that spawned moving AI groups with 7 or 8 units in them.

As you can see there is a major emphasis on keeping the moving AI down as that's what gave the most improvement.

Thanks for the sugestions Paganus. Our saquad editor was doing something similar after many trial and error testing. They come very handy, fowarding them to him right now.

Please note a very possible solution for connection problems:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=96565

AKA TANGO-117. DCS Modules: ALL. I7 6700k @ 4.9 GHz / 32 GB DDR4 @ 3.2 GHz / 950 Pro m.2 + 4xSSDs / Gigabyte 1080TI 11 GB OC / 48" 4K Curved Samsung TV / TM Warthog Hotas / TM TPR rudder pedals / Track IR. Private pilot and sailplane pilot in RL.