EAC takes 5mins!

mr_mojo97

I've never reached a conclusion with this.

When I first began this sim it worked fine. Now it takes ages - literally 5 mins for the light to go out and for autopilot to be enabled. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

4 minutes is minimum alignment time, in "Vipers in the Storm" I read that that the F-16 jockeys usually waited 16minutes (12? not sure, but quite a while, but their step time is usally 30minutes before engine start, so...) for alignment, but may shorten this down to 8minutes, eventough the system is ready after 4 minutes too. They went to the 2nd Gulf War (1991) with updated avionics and already had GPS updates, their procedure said minimum 8 minutes anyway. But they only dropped on coordinates, so this might be more important, than in a CAS mission.

Would be intersting to know, what influence the alginement time has in DCS beyond the 4 minutes. Anybody knows?

Edited by SNAFU

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Unsere Facebook-Seite

The EGI in the A-10 reaches full alignment in 4 minutes, in other aircraft the process takes longer (such as the 8 minutes required in the F-16), and in others it takes less time. Each aircraft is different from the next.

The alignment process has little to do with GPS (the GPS systems in aircraft take no longer to obtain a GPS fix than your car's sat nav), what is aligning are the gyroscopes that actually do all the work.

Unlike you car's sat nav, position data in aircraft is not provided by the GPS as such, it is provided by the inertial navigation system which consists of several gyroscopes which detect movement . These, along with the air data sensors, make up the aircraft's main nav systems. For aircraft equipped with GPS, the GPS is linked into the INS and provides constant position updates to the INS. These position updates eliminate INS drift and remove the need to perform INS position updates throughout the flight, as was needed in the years before GPS. This means that even if the GPS network were to be jammed, or otherwise rendered inoperative, military aircraft would still be able to operate quite happily. Although some of the more modern features may be unavailable or be reduced in capability, at the very worst you'd be flying an aircraft with capabilities similar to the late 80s/early 90s.

As for general start up times, unlike many DCS simmers, real pilots have more to do between getting in the jet and starting the taxi. And even in aircraft that don't take as long to start up it is the norm to be sat on the ramp for several minutes before taxi. Time spent waiting is planned into the flight to allow for potential problems with aircraft or other possible delays to ensure that the flight can comfortably take off and reach its objective at the assigned time.

Edited by Eddie

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

Yes, and the F-16 already had the GPS update available and updates every 2 seconds afaik, the pilots still kept lookout for good INS update opportunities on landmarks. So the extra time Keith Rosenkranz describes in his book is more a safety factor, but doesn´t provide additional accuracy?

@USMC_Trev: First Gulf War was Iran-Iraq from 1980-88, often forgotten, but the main cause for "Desert Shield-/Storm".

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Unsere Facebook-Seite

That "extra time" is not time spent on INS alignment, but either doing other things or just simply sat waiting for the assigned taxi time. Once the INS reaches full alignment, it doesn't get any more aligned.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

OK, nice one, that's some good info there thanks. I tried it and it's spot on. Also about that Vipers in the Storm? Is it any good?

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

The best flight combat book I have read. As a matter of Fact, I have read it about 5 times!!!

Now that I mention it, its nearly time to start it again, once I get Dan Hampton out of the way.

cheers

Sting

Win11 64bit, AMD Ryzen 58003DX, GeForce 3070 8GB, 2TB SSD, 64GB DDR4 RAM at 3200MHz _ full 1:1 FA-18C Cockpit https://www.youtube.com/@TheHornetProject

Is it any good? Hell yeah! Around here it is considered mandatory reading. ;)

And while you´re at it, make sure you also read the following titles:

- Warthog: Flying the A-10 in the Gulf War (by William L. Smallwood)

- Strike Eagle: Flying the F-15E in the Gulf War (also by William L. Smallwood)

- Apache: Inside the Cockpit of the World´s Most Deadly Fighting Machine (by Ed Macy)

- A Nightmare´s Prayer: A Marine Harrier Pilot´s War in Afghanistan (by Michael Franzak)

- Fire Strike 7/9 (by Paul "Bommer" Grahame)

- Apache Dawn: Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned (by Damien Lewis)

- Predator: The Remote-Control Air War over Iraq and Afghanistan: A Pilot´s Story (by Matt J. Martin)

- The Warthog and the Close Air Support Debate (by Douglas N. Campbell)

That should just about cover the basics. ;) I have read every book on this list and can vouch for the quality of every single one.

- Two miles of road lead nowhere, two miles of runway lead everywhere -

Click here for system specs

That "extra time" is not time spent on INS alignment, but either doing other things or just simply sat waiting for the assigned taxi time. Once the INS reaches full alignment, it doesn't get any more aligned.

I remember that Rosenkranz wrote about alignment time for the INS, not about other start-up related procedures. I guess the DCS: Blackshark INU alignment is not simulated or at least I never waited for the Ka-50 INU to aligne?

OT:

While the Smallwood books are more collection of anecdotes and a good summary of the aircrafts A-10A/F-15E operations during Desert Shield/Storm, the other ones in Cookie`s list are more of personal experience. Might be good to start with Smallwood and then move to the more detailed and personal stories, like a "Vipers in the Storm". If you want to know more about what it was like to be a PoW in Iraq 1991 I would recomment "Bravo Two-Zero". For OEF or ISAF accounts "Nightmare`s preyer" is a must. "Apache" from Ed Macy is not that depressing, more entertaining and easy going, but nice to read concerning helicopter anti-insurgency operations.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Unsere Facebook-Seite

I guess the DCS: Blackshark INU alignment is not simulated

IIRC, it is, but the time was drastically shortened as a concession to playing a game. I don't have the exact time in mind, but i remember thinking 'good choice' when i heard how long it actually takes in the real bird.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

Huh, i guess truthful and war doesn´t fit well together... ;)

Whaaaaat? :shocking:

:D

For OEF or ISAF accounts "Nightmare`s preyer" is a must. "Apache" from Ed Macy is not that depressing, more entertaining and easy going, but nice to read concerning helicopter anti-insurgency operations.

Dunno, I found parts of "Apache" seriously depressing. The whole part after they rescued Mathew Ford, when the CO talked to them and all of a sudden it all sank through to them? Holy cow man.... believe me when I say I´ve seen more than my share of crap in this world already, but this? Almost made me cry.

All in all I have to agree though about "A Nightmare´s Prayer". That dude struck me as coming home being a thoroughly messed up person, and I felt bad for him throughout most of the book. It was weird to see him change from being a pilot who loves aviation and everthing that comes with it to a person who downright hated having to go out on a mission in the end. Really makes you think.

The best flight combat book I have read. As a matter of Fact, I have read it about 5 times!!!

Now that I mention it, its nearly time to start it again, once I get Dan Hampton out of the way.

cheers

Sting

I sent Rosey an email and told him about your praises. Even if he doesn't sign up to the Forum I know he will read your praises Sting.

This was a Boutique Builder iBuypower rig. Until I got the tinker bug again i7 920 @3.6Mhz 12Gig Corsair XMS3 ram 1600 Nvidia 760 SLi w/4Gig DDR5 Ram Intel 310 SSD HDD 160 Gb + Western Digital 4Terabyte HDD Creative SB X-Fi HD Audio Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speaker System Dual Acer 32"Monitors. PSU 1200 w Thermaltake Win10 64Bit.

OK, nice one, that's some good info there thanks. I tried it and it's spot on. Also about that Vipers in the Storm? Is it any good?

Yup it is, finished reading it a month or so back, I wouldn't say its a read every page type book because he speaks about his personal and political beliefs (religion) but it's still a great book. If you've ever flown the falcon series, then you'll have no trouble with all the real-world terms he uses.

I sent Rosey an email and told him about your praises. Even if he doesn't sign up to the Forum I know he will read your praises Sting.

Thanks mate.

Hey Cookie, still only half way through it. Its ok, certainly more about him then the jet or any specific event. Which is ok, he was obviously very very good pilot.

Another great book is "Fighter Pilot - Mis-Adventures beyond the sound barrier with an Australian Top Gun" This about an Australian Fighter Pilot. Once again, more about his career then the jet, but still an interesting and funny read.

Edited by Sting57

Win11 64bit, AMD Ryzen 58003DX, GeForce 3070 8GB, 2TB SSD, 64GB DDR4 RAM at 3200MHz _ full 1:1 FA-18C Cockpit https://www.youtube.com/@TheHornetProject

And while you´re at it, make sure you also read the following titles:

- Warthog: Flying the A-10 in the Gulf War (by William L. Smallwood)

- Strike Eagle: Flying the F-15E in the Gulf War (also by William L. Smallwood)

- Apache: Inside the Cockpit of the World´s Most Deadly Fighting Machine (by Ed Macy)

- A Nightmare´s Prayer: A Marine Harrier Pilot´s War in Afghanistan (by Michael Franzak)

- Fire Strike 7/9 (by Paul "Bommer" Grahame)

- Apache Dawn: Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned (by Damien Lewis)

- Predator: The Remote-Control Air War over Iraq and Afghanistan: A Pilot´s Story (by Matt J. Martin)

- The Warthog and the Close Air Support Debate (by Douglas N. Campbell)

After you recommended it in another thread, I just got Fire Strike 7/9 delivered today (along with A-10s over Kosovo and my new Cougar MFDs :thumbup:), looking forward to reading them. Still a few books on that list I don't have yet, so more stuff to look forward to. :)

And two more:

- Low Level Hell - A Scout Pilot in the Big Red One (by Hugh L. Mills, Jr.)

- Hellfire (by Ed Macy. Not quite as outstanding as Apache IMO but still a good read. Plus it's got a very funny part about him crashing a Gazelle and then waiving a copy of Low Level Hell at his superiors to get him a new chopper :joystick:)

After you recommended it in another thread, I just got Fire Strike 7/9 delivered today

A great read, you´ll love it. When I read it, there were several parts where I thought "bullshit, that has got to be made up", only to google it and find out it actually did happen just as he described. Totally mindboggling. Plus it makes you appreciate the A-10 even more.

"Hellfire" lies right here on my yet-to-read stack, guess I should have read it before "Apache", huh?

There are so many books I can recommend (I read A LOT), it´d make this thread even more OT than it already is. What we need is a book review thread in case there isn´t one yet.

Maybe one more if I may: "Once a Fighter Pilot" by Jerry W. Cook. Impossible to put it down; read through it in just two sittings.

Okay, two more... :D These are for the german crowd only I´m afraid, don´t think they have been translated:

- Jahre des Donners - Mein Leben mit dem Starfighter (Hannsdieter Loy)

- Duell unter den Sternen - Tatsachenbericht eines deutschen Nachtjägers (Wilhelm Johnen)

This was a Boutique Builder iBuypower rig. Until I got the tinker bug again i7 920 @3.6Mhz 12Gig Corsair XMS3 ram 1600 Nvidia 760 SLi w/4Gig DDR5 Ram Intel 310 SSD HDD 160 Gb + Western Digital 4Terabyte HDD Creative SB X-Fi HD Audio Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speaker System Dual Acer 32"Monitors. PSU 1200 w Thermaltake Win10 64Bit.