What is DCS World and DCS Combined Arms ?

SnowTiger

Hi everyone.

It has been a very long time since I posted in these forums.

Oddly, I note that the Screen Resolution for these forums seems to be very fine (everything is really small including this text window !!

Anyway, I purchased Ka50 a few years back. Then I got a dog which took up all my time. Before getting back into BS, I purchased A-10 Warthog which I haven't even flown yet.

The other day I purchased P51 and haven't even installed it yet.

YES .. I do plan to get back to ALL of these SIMS very soon (have to do a new System Install first).

In the meantime, I have just heard of DCS World and DCS Combined Arms.

From their description at DCS Site, I can't really determine WHAT they are and/or What is the DIFFERENCE between those 2 AND what do either of these programs give me that any of the 3 Games/Sims I already have, don't have ?

I just don't get it.

With regards to DCS World, it doesn't seem to do anything I can't already do. That is, it appears that I can fly my Birds in that environment OR it has all of them or something.

Can someone please clarify WHY I or anyone would want Either of these 2 newer programs ... what the advantages AND disadvantages are (if any).

Please and Thanks in Advance.

Respectfully,

SnowTiger

SnowTiger:joystick:

DCS World is the core for all modules now. Without it you can not install P-51 at all and you can not install current versions of BS2 or A-10 either.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

DCS World is the "mothership" to which all the other modules (the A-10, the P-51, the Ka50 etc.) connect. DCS World itself is free and brings all the files needed by every single module (the map, weapon systems, basic flightmodels, AI aircraft, the works) plus a flyable SU-25T free of charge.

The modules (A-10C, P-51 etc.) just add their specific content to that world, saving a lot of harddrive space and making things easier in general. Also, DCS World comes with an autoupdater so you won´t ever have to update anything at all anymore, it´s all being done for you.

The modules won´t be able to run by themselves anymore, there MUST be DCS World installed in order for them to work. That is true for every version above 1.2.

In case you have a standalone version installed already, you need to do the following:

- Deinstall everything that has to do with DCS, including saved games

- Download and install DCS World in its newest version (should be 1.2.1)

- Download and install all the aircraft modules you have bought and install them, they will place themselves into DCS World automatically

- Run DCS World and let the autoupdater bring you up to the current level.

The keys that came with your standalone versions can be used with DCS World as well. You do not need to buy anything again.

As for DCS Combined Arms, it is a module as well. However, instead of bringing another aircraft to the table, it actually lets you play the ground war. You can hop into a number of vehicles (tanks, AAA, IFVs etc) and fight the enemy, or you can move entire units around on a map. It´s still in beta though.

Last but not least, if the text in these forums is too small for you, press down the left control key while scrolling your mousewheel. That´ll make the text larger or smaller, depending on what direction you scroll the wheel.

- Two miles of road lead nowhere, two miles of runway lead everywhere -

Click here for system specs

Thank you both for the Excellent Answers.

It is unfortunate that the DCS Site didn't use a similar description to Cookie's description which really nails it (only providing a bit more detail than "cichlidfan's" reply for which I am equally thankful).

SO it sounds like I might as well wait until I get my new HD installed and Win7 64bit BEFORE I reinstall these games again.

I guess even IF I do have to get new Keys, that shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks again for the Detailed Clarification folks.

I really do hope to be Learning and Flying again VERY SOON. I'm sure I'll need lots of help doing it too. Especially with regards to getting my HOTAS set up correctly.

Have a great day.

SnowTiger:joystick:

Hi everyone.

It has been a very long time since I posted in these forums.

Oddly, I note that the Screen Resolution for these forums seems to be very fine (everything is really small including this text window !!

LCTRL + NUM0 to reset Browser Scaling/Zoom

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

The keys you already have will work in DCS World for each module.

Quite so.

If you have a key for BS (1), it won't work for the current module which is BS2.

You may then at your choice:

- purchase BS2 upgrade (cheaper, but you'll need to have BS1 installed/activated on your computer to install/activate BS2, as a proof of purchase)

- purchase BS2 full (simpler to install, but more expensive)

For the other products (A-10C, Combined Arms...) your serial numbers will allow you to activate those as modules in the last DCS World (1.2.2 today)

spacer.png