My new rig - AMD FX8150 Bulldozer :D

FINALLY!!!

I made it! I rolled the dice and fortune was on my side.

Specs:

Black edition Bulldozer AMD FX-8150 3.6GHZ 8 core processor

Hydro 60 Corsair liquid CPU cooler.

RAM G SKill RipJaws 1600 Bus 2 X 4 GB

MOBO ASUS Evo R2 AM3+ edition

GPU Gigabyte GTX 650 @ 2GB OC

2 TB Seagate HDD

No SSD

Installed and tested DCS World 1.2.1.5blah blah blah ( lossless framerates at highest settings)

DCS A-10C 1.1.1.1 @ highest settings and 512 cockpit displays resolution. Again Lossless frames.. Just jawdropping.

Thank you God! I am soo excited that I'll leave you now with my setup , and go kick some russkie ass (GAU-8/A style).

P7300005.jpg

(the desk is rubbish I know, I could use a simpit, but that will come later)

I'll post a vid in the Scrn/Vids section of my nut bustin' tank kickery. Be sure to like, hate, or whatever...

On a side note, I really don't understand the majority of you guys advising against AMD, but you are really dumb... I mean the grafics are just phenomenal... we'll leave it for the video. I'll be in it :D

• Like 1

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

==Why are we against AMD ?

Because of that maybe ?

cinebench1cpu.thumb.jpg.a0cf15ff10708b167927e57d45a5fc41.jpg

Why are you buying nVidia 650 if you love AMD ?

I Like ATi because they're canadians, and they've made GPU for Mac a while ago (Rage 128Pro AGP 4x ftw ! )

If 3Dfx was living today, i would look into them, because they're the guys who invented 3D acceleration.

I'm on intel today, because CoreI architecture is almost RISC, like my beloved (and cursed) PowerPC's CPU

=> The best Ad against Intel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtaKZ-vZhQs

I'm talking Sh**, stopping right now ;)

TL;DR : Do you really need a watercooling for this? (not a joke)

Edited by Erforce

TASK / ROLES acronyms guide

Black Shark A.I. datalink guide illustrated (v1.2.4 Available on Wiki)

DCS World Codex 1.1 : full units list (Speed/Weapons/Armor thickness/Threat zone/Weapon damage...) (Oct 2013)

BlackShark 2 1.2.x Bug and glitches thread (v1.2.7)

On a side note, I really don't understand the majority of you guys advising against AMD, but you are really dumb... I mean the grafics are just phenomenal... we'll leave it for the video. I'll be in it :D

Really dumb?

Going from a Pinto to a Camero, and then calling someone driving a Ferrari dumb, is well.....dumb. Sure the Camero is fast, but it still not in the same league as the Ferrari.

You know, I am glad you are happy about your new system, but why even go insulting people? On top of that, why insult people when the fact that as of right now...Intel > AMD when it comes to CPU's?

i5 3570k @ 4.3

560ti GTX 2gig

8gig RAM

Intel SSD

Win7 64bit

Why didn't you get a SSD, how much did the 2TB drive cost? And why did you get a 650? but glad to hear it's working out for you.

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

On a side note, I really don't understand the majority of you guys advising against AMD, but you are really dumb...

Remember you said that next time you are thinking about asking for advice. :doh:

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

to all those offended, I apologize. Its just, I never expected such CPU to perform so well without you guys mitigating the process that it will not, and that an i5 is way better and stuff like that. I mean apparently, I now run world maxed out, and 1.1.1.1 A-10 also maxed out. So, I guess I've just witnessed a brand loyal opinion as opposed to an unbiased opinion. I mean who fairly described the AMD would work was a moderator (dont remember, etherealN maybe, or MTFDeagle). For that I think him and him only for unbiased opinion.

So buy y'all bears?

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

I'll take a Grizzly

https://magnitude-3.com/

https://www.facebook.com/magnitude3llc

https://www.youtube.com/@magnitude_3

i9 13900K, 128GB RAM, RTX 4090, Win10Pro, 2 x 2TB SSD

i9 10980XE, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090Ti, Win10 Pro, 2 x 256GB SSD, 4 x 512GB SSD RAID 0, 6 x 4TB HDD RAID 6, 9361-8i RAID Controller

i7 4960X, 64GB RAM, GTX Titan X Black, Win10 Pro, 512GB PCIe SSD, 2 x 256GB SSD

I'll take a Grizzly

BEERs DAMMIT!! :lol::megalol:

• Like 1

TL;DR : Do you really need a watercooling for this? (not a joke)

Those watercooling sets (I have a similar one) don't really perfom better than the top-of-the-line air cooling sets, so it's not about "needing watercooling" really. (They're roughly equal in that department.) What they do give that air can't, which I personally value highly, is clean internals. The top-line air cooling sets introduce lots of worries about the size of RAM DIMMs etcetera, and with one of these water coolers that's not a worry at all anymore. And not having to dismount the cooler when/if a RAM DIMM goes bad (or you decide to add more RAM) is pretty nice as well. And finally, if you end up moving the computer, you don't end up with out-of-specification weight on the mobo itself, so you don't have to worry as much about handling when moving it to do some dust cleaning.

Whether those advantages are worth the pricetag... I don't know. I think so, but that's a question of priorities for each person.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Hmmm... After the novelty wears off then please post a review of that chip. Ever since I started building comp, some where in the 90s, this is my first Intel chip. I'd love to go back to AMD and that one you bought is quite affordable in my country.

Edited by leafer

ED have been taking my money since 1995. :P

Ok EtherealN, more understandable. Yes i will encounter trouble if i put a top-air cooling with my OC ram, it's a shame for those engineers who don't think about this.

But, on the other side, stock cooling is quite good if you do moderate OC, and a i think (total guess) that Liquid cooling take more power, and space in total.

For dust in the case, you have a GPU which need major air supply so...

Anyway, i would like to see AMD put a step much closer on intel...

TASK / ROLES acronyms guide

Black Shark A.I. datalink guide illustrated (v1.2.4 Available on Wiki)

DCS World Codex 1.1 : full units list (Speed/Weapons/Armor thickness/Threat zone/Weapon damage...) (Oct 2013)

BlackShark 2 1.2.x Bug and glitches thread (v1.2.7)

Stock cooling is functional, but I would personally not use it even if I'm not overclocking. Currently my computer isn't overclocked at all either. You don't want to only evade overheating, it's generally a good idea to keep things as cool as possible. There's some really cheap air coolers out there (10-20 dollars) that absolutely slaughter the old stock coolers simply through using copper instead of aluminium.

Regarding power consumption:

"Another benefit is obviously their cooling capabilities vs. power consumption and noise levels. Most high end heat sink/Fan combos use two fans running 50% or faster than liquid cooling systems and do not cool as well or stay as stable."

http://blog.apt-computers.com/2012/03/review-corsair-h60-liquid-cooling-system/

Whether that is correct or not I don't know, but the pump doesn't eat much power at all. Mine lives just fine being fed from the same fan header as is used with the stock cooler. This is on the level of worrying about the added power consumption of an HDD.

Not sure what your point about dust/GPU/air supply is in this context. The graphics cards are secured properly in several points that adhere to specifications. Intel specifies 500 grammes as the limit with a center of gravity at 25.4mm above the IHS. Compare this with Scythes and Noctuas etcetera that approach a full kilo with Gc waaaay far from the IHS. (This is why all those backplates are required.) With a solution like the H60 or similar you have the weight secured on the chassis, not on the motherboard. This means far less danger handling accidents. Graphic card air supply doesn't enter into this as far as I can see.

As for space in total taken by the liquid cooling solutions: correct for custom builds. For these... Nope. More than the included little fans, yes, but since these get assembled in the chassis they in part replace things that are already there, like the exhaust fan of a chassis. But comparing total space taken by these with the monstrous heat sink assemblies being sold by Noctua etcetera you'll end up with pretty much a draw, possibly a slight lead for the water coolers even - water is much better at transferring heat, so you don't need as large a radiative area as you do when using vapor as the thermal mediator.

And, finally:

mobo-cooler.jpg

full-setup.jpg

The really top-line products are starting to get there as well, completely replacing the puny standard cooler of old. :)

Edited by EtherealN

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Those watercooling sets (I have a similar one) don't really perfom better than the top-of-the-line air cooling sets, so it's not about "needing watercooling" really. (They're roughly equal in that department.) What they do give that air can't, which I personally value highly, is clean internals. The top-line air cooling sets introduce lots of worries about the size of RAM DIMMs etcetera, and with one of these water coolers that's not a worry at all anymore. And not having to dismount the cooler when/if a RAM DIMM goes bad (or you decide to add more RAM) is pretty nice as well. And finally, if you end up moving the computer, you don't end up with out-of-specification weight on the mobo itself, so you don't have to worry as much about handling when moving it to do some dust cleaning.

Whether those advantages are worth the pricetag... I don't know. I think so, but that's a question of priorities for each person.

All true from my experience and all very astute observations. I have the CORSAIR CWCH70 which seems to keep things nice and cool. I never thought about the cleanliness aspect as I do quarterly cleanings on the internals and the case fans and filters. I guess that is a plus I had not considered. Fitting the Memory under some of the larger air coolers is indeed hit or miss.

Out

Just for the record, I have a similar build... Same processor, SSD, Kuhler water cooling setup with dual SLI 550GTX Ti's and the thing rocks...

As for "Why watercooling"? Because the stock cooler could not keep up with the heat put out by this chip and since I had to buy something anyway I opted for the water solution. Quiet, about the same price as a quality heat sink fan combo and clean install and look. Keeps the system cooler when stressed than the stock cooler at idle. (No I am not kidding)

And for all of you folks that keep saying that the AMD is junk because some magazine qutoes technical specs showing the Intel beats it... Yep, the Intel beats it, no arguments here.. But is that Intel TWICE as good/fast whatever than the AMD? I think not... And if you are careful on where you pick up the AMD you can get the top of the line AMD for HALF the Intel, and that does not take into consideration the fact that AMD MOBOs are cheaper as well...

For my money the new AMD kicks ass for my purposes and it is a great deal for what it is...

And who cares if one is faster than another at this point? In 6 months, no matter what you have, your machine will be slower than everything available.. So buy the BEST option that handles your needs for the BEST price...

But I am NOT going to say anyone is DUMB! LOL

"Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence."

RAMBO

Hmmm... After the novelty wears off then please post a review of that chip. Ever since I started building comp, some where in the 90s, this is my first Intel chip. I'd love to go back to AMD and that one you bought is quite affordable in my country.

tell me what to review cuz I've never done it before. A-10C 1.1.1.1 runs awesome maybe 60 FPS with TGP and mavericks on, 512 cock disp res. I chiefly bought the rig for A-10C.

Two years ago when I finally replaced my AMD Sempron everything seems soo much faster and prettier. Of course after the novelty wore off, I started testing the MAV, etc and noticed the fps hiccups when the usual suspects are on. How does current built DCSW run?

My rig: i3 530, 8GB ram, HD 4670 2GB VRAM, WD Harddrive Black Edition, Corsair 750 psu (which is the most expensive item in this rig) ... this rig runs the standalone BS just fine but that doesn't mean much now. Maybe it's time I learn some overclocking wizardry.

ED have been taking my money since 1995. :P

+1 ......Way more room to work on your system. Less noise is also nice I don't hear my computer anymore. Also you don't have to worry about that 2-3 pound heat sink snapping apart your motherboard or breaking circuit traces when you move your PC.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System Specs

Intel I7-3930K, Asrock EXTREME9, EVGA TITAN, Mushkin Chronos SSD, 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z series 2133, TM Warthog and MFD's, Saitek Proflight Combat pedals, TrackIR 5 + TrackClip PRO, Windows 7 x64, 3-Asus VS2248H-P monitors, Thermaltake Level 10 GT, Obutto cockpit

Two years ago when I finally replaced my AMD Sempron everything seems soo much faster and prettier. Of course after the novelty wore off, I started testing the MAV, etc and noticed the fps hiccups when the usual suspects are on. How does current built DCSW run?

My rig: i3 530, 8GB ram, HD 4670 2GB VRAM, WD Harddrive Black Edition, Corsair 750 psu (which is the most expensive item in this rig) ... this rig runs the standalone BS just fine but that doesn't mean much now. Maybe it's time I learn some overclocking wizardry.

Well I haven't really tested A-10C or BS2.0 on world till now (will never apply any patch post 1.1.1.1, cuz 1.1.1.1 is the most stable and standalone version that I've come across).

However, I'm having alot of crashes to desktop right now, but I know its because of extra units load, so I takeoff, loiter a lot of time, keeping my SA, and once the initial brawls by CAP and SEAD are off, I charge in guns blazing). I just completed an 1hr30min flight without issues, and the performance really is outstanding, HDR enabled. By HDR you mean like ARMA, yeah? that weird blur? or is it the sunshine blinding me over the canopy and shadows? cuz I've got both:thumbup:)

No performance issues with TGP/MAV. Practically had one MFCD as TGP, the other as MAV and picked off after exhausted GAU-8. Then moved on to CBU-87s at 500X500 footprint, then Mk-82 AIR's :mad:

Those things are really useless.. Even with parked HQ/Logistics, I find a single 97 can finish the job nicely over this stuff..

Running win7 home basic 64 bit, software installed :

ASUS mobo shtuff

GTX650 latest drivers

F4AF

ROF (untested, but probably will work fine), need a USB wifi to connect and activate and get the shitload of patches after boxed DVD ver) Later...

Edited by WildBillKelsoe

ROF (untested, but probably will work fine), need a USB wifi to connect and activate and get the shitload of patches after boxed DVD ver) Later...

You should probably plan on that being an overnighter...at least.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

In 6 months, no matter what you have, your machine will be slower than everything available.

My intel is almost 2 years old and faster than anything AMD has released since. Though I did go for the slightly overpriced option - my gaming performance would have been pretty muchthe same if I went 2500K instead of 2600K. (But I wanted the HT action.) The only things that are faster than what I have for games and DCS are other Intel offerings (unfortunately), and in all cases it is only marginally faster. It's 2 years where not much at all has happened for this kind of processor performance. Intel has gone slightly upwards counting a few percents here and there since the SB launch. AMD has gone backwards in FP performance (which is important for simulators).

The AMD FX chips do have one advantage though - they're kickass web/database/file servers due to that rediculous integer throughput. :)

I have trouble with the assertion that AMD chipset motherboards are "cheaper" though. Checking newegg:

Cheapest LGA 1155 mobos are $43-$50 range using H61 chipset.

Cheapest AM3+ mobos are $45-$50 range.

If you want a standard feature set board you are in both cases looking at around $100 to $150.

Finally, on price, if you want something that is cheap and does well in games you are better off (literally) with an i3 than the AMD's - and save money by it. That does of course limit the system quite severely in other applications and is not something I would recommend. But I would love to see some sourcing on those "half-price" you've found. Newegg checks out thusly for me:

i5-3570K - $220

FX-8350 Vishera - $220

FX-8150 Zambesi - $190

That all said, we'll see what happens when and if Microsoft manages to hack windows into compensating for the total weirdness that is the Bulldozer architecture. If threads get prioritized properly good things might happen, but there's still a huge problem in that it has to handle shared FPU's.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

You should probably plan on that being an overnighter...at least.

I don't understand the overnighter.. wont work you mean??

FINALLY!!!

I made it! I rolled the dice and fortune was on my side.

Specs:

Black edition Bulldozer AMD FX-8150 3.6GHZ 8 core processor

Hydro 60 Corsair liquid CPU cooler.

RAM G SKill RipJaws 1600 Bus 2 X 4 GB

MOBO ASUS Evo R2 AM3+ edition

GPU Gigabyte GTX 650 @ 2GB OC

2 TB Seagate HDD

No SSD

Nice rig .. similar to mine.. except I haver a HD7870 GPU and a 256G SSD. I also decided to go with air cooling.. I have no issues whatsdoebver with this rig. I know what the pudits say about AMD vs Intel.. but I am happy.

Finally, on price, if you want something that is cheap and does well in games you are better off (literally) with an i3 than the AMD's - and save money by it. That does of course limit the system quite severely in other applications and is not something I would recommend. But I would love to see some sourcing on those "half-price" you've found. Newegg checks out thusly for me:

i5-3570K - $220

FX-8350 Vishera - $220

FX-8150 Zambesi - $190

That all said, we'll see what happens when and if Microsoft manages to hack windows into compensating for the total weirdness that is the Bulldozer architecture. If threads get prioritized properly good things might happen, but there's still a huge problem in that it has to handle shared FPU's.

I got my 8150 for $180 in September ..the Vishera is $200 @ Microcenter

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

AMD Fx-8350 | ASUS M5A99X EVO | EVGA 1050G PS | Corsair Force 3 240GSSD

Samsung 840 EVO 500G SSD | 32G Corsair Vengance DDR3 | Seagate 1TB 7200RPMHD

WD 2TB 7200 RPMHD XFX DD FX-HD 7870 2GB DDR5 | SB Xi-Fi APU | W7 U | TIR3

MSFFB2 | Saitek X-52|SaitekPro Pedals | Logitech Z-640 5.1 | ASUS VE248 24" LCD