Lets talk Lights Data Blocks

SkateZilla

Yeah, the lights...

Starting with the Strobes

I built the Lights Meshes in Max, Assigned a Texture w/ BANO Material Type.

Assigned Visibility ARGs, PLace Connectors in the same spot, with the same names as Below.

However When I get into the mission ALL the Lights are still positioned at 0,0,0. Omni, Stobes, Everything. The Engine Also doesnt Load the Arguments for the Strobes either.

Leads me to believe it's a Code problem, I'm using the blocks from the wunderluft.lua template.

[1] = { typename = "collection",
					lights = {-- Left Anticollision Light
									          {typename = "natostrobelight",
											   connector = "WHITE_BEACON L",
											   argument_1 = 195,
											   period = 1.2,
											   phase_shift = 0
											  },
											  -- Right Anticollision Light
											   connector = "WHITE_BEACON R",
											   argument_1 = 196,
											   period = 1.2,
											   phase_shift = 0
											  },
											  -- Tail Anticollision Light
											   connector = "BANO_0_BACK",
											   argument_1 = 192,
											   period = 1.2,
											   phase_shift = 0
											  }
											 }
								  },

Any suggestions?

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

For the Gazelle here's how I did.

i.e left nav light

1) In 3dsmax I positionned a rectangle (the size of the rectangle sets the size of the light) where the light must be regarding the chopper 3d external model.

Be careful, it's not the light mesh itself but a simple rectangle where the fake light will appear.

2) I assigned a material with bano-red.tga as diffuse and opacity maps. The material is tagged "fake_omni_lights" with ED's material attribute tool and opacity set to blend.

3) Arg Visiblity arg #190 set to -1/1 at time 1

4) Here's the code I wrote in the lua file

[3] = { typename = "collection",

lights = {

-- NAV LIGHTS

-- Left Position Light (red)

{typename = "omnilight",

connector = "BANO_1",

color = {0.99, 0.11, 0.3},

pos_correction = {0, 0, 0},

argument = 190

},

5) Important things

Regarding the 3D model

I never put a dummy with a tagged name (i.e "BANO_1") in my 3D model as I saw in ED's models, and it works.

Here's what I guess :

Only the arg visibilty number is needed for the light to appear in game, not any connector name, regarding the 3d model.

I use the ka50 dlls. It could be different with other dlls.

Regarding the lua file, it's different :

The lights block defines the lights prototype for your plane according to the game lights prototypes described in the scripts\Aircrafts\_Common\Lights.lua file.

Here the connector names must be the same as in the lights .lua according to the arg number.

Only one light declaration in the lua file is needed to switch on all the lights in the 3D model with the same arg number. i.e the declaration at 4) will switch on all the lights with arg number 190 in the 3D model.

All this is guess and try. I may have missed something, please correct me if it's wrong.

Edited by Pat01

I think connector sets the position if the position isnt defined...

My Problem is every light is still positioned at 0,0,0 and the ARG Animations for visibility isnt loading (as I dont see any mesh/light flashing in the correct spot).

Args play Fine in EDM Viewer.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

As I understood from your first post, you made a mistake in your 3D model.

The light mesh and the fake light are two different things.

The fake light is a rectangle in the 3D model and sets the light position too.

Please read the post #4 carefully.

Edited by Pat01

I have a 3d Mesh w/ texture and a Point that i use for a connector.

im not working with OMNILIGHTs, im working with the STROBES.

I've Built the Light Mesh in Max, Assigned Material with the correct type for Strobes, Set Animation Arg # 192, for Visibility, it turns on and off correctly in EDM Viewer.

now,

{typename = "natostrobelight", connector = "BANO_0_BACK", argument_1 = 192, period= 1.2,

hase_shift = 0}

Arg is Correctly Set,

Connector is Correctly Set,

Yet in the Engine the Flash from the Strobes are Positioned at 0,0,0 of the Aircraft, and the mesh that supposed to flash on the tail using Arg 192 isnt flashing..

I got the wing tip strobes to move to the wingtips, but the Arguments aint working. I'll double check MAX Settings.

Edit:

Wingtip Strobes working, Arg and All, But Tail Strobe doesnt wanna work at all, no light, no Arg Animation.

Edited by SkateZilla

Got most of the Lights working,

Except the Tail Strobe, it just doesnt wanna work....

yeah i spent all day on it,

wingtip formation lights

tail formation light

wingtip strobes

nav lights on top and bottom of fuselage,

Tail Strobe just doesnt wanna work, i've tried re-naming the connector, and everything, maybe it's an underlying issue with something else.

Try this

[1] = { typename = "collection",

lights = {

-- STROBE LIGHTS

connector = "RED_BEACON",

argument_1 = 193,

period = 1.2,

phase_shift = 0

}

}

},

DCS seems to hate same duplicated arg numbers...

Check you didn't use the same arg number for different lights in different main collections i.e [1] strobe [2] nav ...

From your first code sample you can't use arg#192 for nav lights and strobe lights at the same time.

The RED_BEACON connectior name may help too

Hope it helps a bit ...

I'll look into it,

im not using 192 on anything else, Im in office right now,

it's prolly both connector and Arg, because the Arg Doesnt show, nor the actual light effect,

with the wing strobes it was easy to see if they were workign because even without arg and light meshes, I can still see the flashes on the ground/wings.

there is no flash on the tail, so Im assuming my connector isnt working, nor the Arg Ani.

Im Using:

--Tail Anticollision Light

{typename = "natostrobelight", connector = "Tail_Position_Light_01", argument_1 = 192, period = 1.2, phase_shift = 0},

Obviously My strings are all 1 liners instead of indented blocks, but it works better for me.

I also tried copy/pasting my working code for the wingtip and changing ARG/Connector values... didnt work.. so..

You have to set a custom key assignment for the strobes IIRC, in your keyboard and default lua's for the aircraft, they don't turn on with the default "RCTRL+L" key.

i7 7700K | 32GB RAM | GTX 1080Ti | Rift CV1 | TM Warthog | Win 10

"There will always be people with a false sense of entitlement.

You can want it, you can ask for it, but you don't automatically deserve it. "

You have to set a custom key assignment for the strobes IIRC, in your keyboard and default lua's for the aircraft, they don't turn on with the default "RCTRL+L" key.

If I create a mission and set the Aircraft to AI start from Ramp, the AI can control Strobes :p.

all lights are working except the tail strobe at the moment, so I'll tinker more tonite if i get time. :pilotfly:

It's not your problem, it's missing SFM arguments. (again.)

Care to Enlighten Me?

Care to Enlighten Me?

I think I tried to Enlighten You (TM?) in another thread but wasn't able to put it into succinct terms there either... sorry. Basically some of the SFM arguments previously available are no longer controllable by the player. It's a DLL problem. AI aircraft can still activate these arguments, but players cannot... at least so far as I can tell. I have every reason to believe the problem will be fixed in 1.2.2.

Yar, AI can control arguments that the player can't when you take control of a non-flyable slot (i.e. refueling probe & LEF's to name a couple)...at least for my AI F-16 slot at the moment.

i7 7700K | 32GB RAM | GTX 1080Ti | Rift CV1 | TM Warthog | Win 10

"There will always be people with a false sense of entitlement.

You can want it, you can ask for it, but you don't automatically deserve it. "

Yar, AI can control arguments that the player can't when you take control of a non-flyable slot (i.e. refueling probe & LEF's to name a couple)...at least for my AI F-16 slot at the moment.

Tail Hook, Wing Fold...

I think I tried to Enlighten You (TM?) in another thread but wasn't able to put it into succinct terms there either... sorry. Basically some of the SFM arguments previously available are no longer controllable by the player. It's a DLL problem. AI aircraft can still activate these arguments, but players cannot... at least so far as I can tell. I have every reason to believe the problem will be fixed in 1.2.2.

I was assuming that's because the AI has a List of Systems they are allowed to use, where as a Human player can only use the systems defined in the SFM or Cockpit systems.

Tail Hook, Wing Fold...

I was assuming that's because the AI has a List of Systems they are allowed to use, where as a Human player can only use the systems defined in the SFM or Cockpit systems.

Traditionally no, but now that's the case. In FC, for example, every SFM argument that the AI used (and that was available for a particular airplane) was available to the user. Again, this should be rectified in 1.2.2.

[2] = { typename = "collection", -- white strobe upper
   lights = {
               {typename = "natostrobelight",connector = "WHITE_TOP",argument_1 = 512,period = 1.0,color = {0.8, 0.8, 1.0}},
            }
       },

NOTE: strobes are bugged! I can get certain combinations of strobe to work fine, but in other cases they strobe together for no apparent reason. The parameter phase_shift works, but in limited cases and I can't see a good reason for the behavior I'm seeing.

e.g.

{typename = "natostrobelight",connector = "WHITE_BOTTOM",argument_1 = 513,period = 1.0,color = {0.8, 0.8, 1.0},phase_shift = 0.5},

Best regards,

Tango.

Edited by Tango

so the theory is..

if i cant get it to work, to stop wasting my time on it and wait for the 1.2.2 patch? lol.