Elite: Dangerous. Official Elite remake on Kickstarter!

BTTW-DratsaB

Any old Elite/Frontier fans?

Great news as David Braben has a started a Kickstarter project for a modern sequel to the classic Elite/Frontier. He is looking for £1.2 million and expects a release in 2014.

Links:

http://www.frontier.co.uk/news/latest/?artid=280&pageNum=0&blk=12

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20165344

Edited by BTTW-DratsaB

Specs: GA-Z87X-UD3H, i7-4770k, 16GB, RTX2060, SB AE-5, 750watt Corsair PSU, X52, Track IR4, Win10x64.

Sim Settings: Textures: ? | Scenes: ? |Water: ? | Visibility Range: ? | Heat Blur: ? | Shadows: ? | Res: 1680x1050 | Aspect: 16:10 | Monitors: 1 Screen | MSAA: ? | Tree Visibility: ? | Vsync: On | Mirrors: ? | Civ Traffic: High | Res Of Cockpit Disp: 512 | Clutter: ? | Fullscreen: On

Nice. Original Elite can be considered the best selling game ever. The Acorn BBC Micro version sold about 150,000 copies while there were only about 150,000 Acorn BBC Micro systems in the world. Selling almost 1:1 isn't bad.

[sigpic][/sigpic]

PDP, VAX and Alpha fanatic ; HP-Compaq is the Satan! ; Let us pray daily while facing Maynard! ; Life starts at 150 km/h

I'll throw some cash at that. Loved Elite and Frontier :)

The Wing Commander guy (name escapes me, Chris something) has done the same.

Seem to remember he is at $1m plus already :)

J.

Rig: Home Built, water cooled,i5 2500K @ 4.3Ghz, ASUS P8P67Pro Mobo, 8GB Patriot Viper 2 Sector 5 RAM, MSI Nvidia GTX970 4GB Gaming OC, 120GB OCZ Vertex 2e SSD Boot, 120GB OCZ Vertex 2e SSD Games (BS & WH), Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB other,

Samsung UE37D5000 37" LED TV,EloTouch 1600x1200 secondary, Thrustmaster Warthog No.467, Thrustmaster MFD, Saitek Pro Pedals, Track IR4 with Track Clip Pro.

Ex RAF Aircrew, Real Life Pilot, proud Geek and father of one :)

Elite rocked when I used to play it maybe this version could be MP.:thumbup:

Multiplayer: you will be able to control who else you might encounter in your game – perhaps limit it to just your friends? Cooperate on adventures or chase your friends down to get that booty. The game will work in a seamless, lobby-less way, with the ability to rendezvous with friends as you choose. This technology is already working, using a combination of peer-to-peer (to reduce lag) and server connections.

From kickstarter page ;)

Forefathers of X kind of game coming back ?

With X eating almost all market and low budget and cost Evocron and some other project they will have hard work.

HaF 922, Asus rampage extreme 3 gene, I7 950 with Noctua D14, MSI gtx 460 hawk, G skill 1600 8gb, 1.5 giga samsung HD.

Track IR 5, Hall sensed Cougar, Hall sensed TM RCS TM Warthog(2283), TM MFD, Saitek pro combat rudder, Cougar MFD.

Oh sweet, I have been waiting for an Elite successor for a long time. Played the original with my brother on his Atari ST. Now let's hope that David Braben will make the space flight more similar to the original Elite and not like Elite 2, because that totally sucked.

I know Elite from Frontier on the Amiga. I only ever played Elite recently (Oolite), but I found it quite limited. Frontier just seems to have been Elite but way better, with more things like proper physics, planetary bases etc.

The limitations of Oolite made me go looking for some thing else to get my fix, which led me to Pioneer. Which looks great, but when you play it, you can't help but think...Damn! when is that damn Braben gonna release what we all really want.?

Then 2 days after this nostalgia trip and wishful thinking I saw the Kickstarter announcement on BBC.

It almost feels as though I wished it into existence :D

Specs: GA-Z87X-UD3H, i7-4770k, 16GB, RTX2060, SB AE-5, 750watt Corsair PSU, X52, Track IR4, Win10x64.

Sim Settings: Textures: ? | Scenes: ? |Water: ? | Visibility Range: ? | Heat Blur: ? | Shadows: ? | Res: 1680x1050 | Aspect: 16:10 | Monitors: 1 Screen | MSAA: ? | Tree Visibility: ? | Vsync: On | Mirrors: ? | Civ Traffic: High | Res Of Cockpit Disp: 512 | Clutter: ? | Fullscreen: On

This is great news. I'll support it. Played the original on my first homecomputer (as they were called then), an Acorn Electron. Memory was limited so it didn't feature Thargoids (I believe to remember), but I was venturing through all corners of the universe(s) for weeks and weeks...this is a dream come true.

MAC

I know Elite from Frontier on the Amiga. I only ever played Elite recently (Oolite), but I found it quite limited. Frontier just seems to have been Elite but way better, with more things like proper physics, planetary bases etc.

The limitations of Oolite made me go looking for some thing else to get my fix, which led me to Pioneer. Which looks great, but when you play it, you can't help but think...Damn! when is that damn Braben gonna release what we all really want.?

Then 2 days after this nostalgia trip and wishful thinking I saw the Kickstarter announcement on BBC.

It almost feels as though I wished it into existence :D

The original elite was good and the dogfights were awesome but Frontiers physics sucked the fun out of the dogfights. The original Elite was way better to fly around in.:thumbup: Frontier was good because you could land on planets etc. I also like the idea of multiple Galaxys was cool as well.

From kickstarter page ;)

There is alot of potential there for some MP craziness.

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

The original Elite was way better to fly around in.:thumbup:

Ahh yes I see what you mean, I agree frontiers dogfights where a bit labourous at times.

Oh daaaaamn... I'd have to ban myself if I were to describe what just happened when I read this. :P

I still play Frontier occasionally. I so shouldn't have bought that SSD, I could have gotten myself a space station! :D

(I'm normally not one to cash up for those fancy extra perks in kickstarted things, but this is like OMG and PLEASE TAKE MY MONEY! :P )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

New videos and concept art up at the Kickstarter Page.

Here is a nice vid about Procedural generation in the Elite games.

Just awesome, after being an avid Elite gamer back in the day I might just have to pledge methinks.

Can you believe the original ELITE (below) was only 22k !

Edited by Druid_

i7-7700K : 16Gb DDR4 2800 Mhz : Asus Mobo : 2TB HDD : Intel 520 SSD 240gb : RTX 2080ti: Win10 64pro : Dx10 : TrackiR4 : TM Warthog : ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q

I've been playing Elite the first time on a C=64. That was back in 1984...unbelievable. only 28 years later, I converted Elite into a boardgame. you can take a sneak peek at www.elite.universe-3d.com .

I already backed for Star Citizen from Chris Roberts. I'll wait until David Braben releases more Dev diaries to see where the trip goes.

Elite never the less rocks!!! :thumbup:

Cheers

Demon

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Founder of the -=VDS=-

:pilotfly: