Russian Air Force Photos and Video (NO DISCUSSION)

Flаnker

Every time I visit this thread, I'm leaving with persistent urge to have either DCS: Ka-52 or DCS: Su-35 installed on my computer.

Same here! :)

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

:surprise: @ 3:00 and 4:50! What kind of sorcery is that?

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

:surprise: @ 3:00 and 4:50! What kind of sorcery is that?

IMHO the display was much better at 100 years of VVS. There he did that trick and went into high AoA. Besides, imho, editing in that video is horrible.

Anyway, watch this to see proper sorcery:

• Like 2

Anyway, watch this to see proper sorcery:

Frakin' Hell! Wow.....just.....Wow :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yep, it's enough to watch this video to understand that when somebody says thrust vectoring is not a dogfighting game-changer he's talking bull...t :D

What happens if someone just climbs when all that energy bleeding is going on? Impressive to watch though.

What happens if someone just climbs when all that energy bleeding is going on?

He's not going to out-climb the RVV-MD that's sure to follow :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

He's not going to out-climb the RVV-MD that's sure to follow :D

And at what point does that have a enough time to lock while the aircraft is spinning, assuming it's ever even pointing in the right direction? Surely you'd be best using an IR missile in a dogfight anyway. They're more manoeuvrable and the Pk of radar missiles is worse than bad. This assumes that you don't get nailed on cannon or by someone else while you're flopping about. SEP is still the most important principle of dog-fighting.

Ah okay, the MD version is IR but the point still stands, missiles don't insta-lock and as you can see, during the spin, you'll very quickly lose sight of the opponent. Not a great g limit. Don't they have an AAM capable of more than 30g? An IRIS-T is capable of 60g.

TV is for cruise efficiency and supersonic BVR manoeuvring where you can't already pull 9g STRs and even then it isn't going to sway the odds if your wings are half the area of the opposing fighters. A 60-70,000lf powerplant can't overcome a wing loading deficit equal 20 or 30% of the aircraft's weight during a 9g turn. During a supersonic turn at 3g, then it becomes more important since the pilot is not at their limit, the vectored thrust is a more significant portion of overall loading and a useful improvment in STR can be seen by reducing drag.

Edited by UCAS

If slow speed manouverability is of any use in a combat aircraft (and don't get sidetracked by arguing it's not useful at the expense of manouverabilty at higher speeds, that's not the question), this is an mprovement in slow speed manouverability, and so will from time to time save the pilot's life.

Cheers.

If slow speed manouverability is of any use in a combat aircraft (and don't get sidetracked by arguing it's not useful at the expense of manouverabilty at higher speeds, that's not the question), this is an mprovement in slow speed manouverability, and so will from time to time save the pilot's life.

It can save his life but only temporarily, in the same way that any energy bleeding manoeuvre can. (Unless the adversary is stupid enough to bleed their own energy to try stay on their tail.)

It can save his life but only temporarily, in the same way that any energy bleeding manoeuvre can. (Unless the adversary is stupid enough to bleed their own energy to try stay on their tail.)

1/ I feel a bit like you've exactly gone to the 'you use that instead of fighting well' argument. That's a red herring.

You do that if it gets you anadvantage, or where if you don't do it you're dead. If that's the case, Temporarily alive is not dead now, it's alive to continue the fight, which is an infinitely better outcome than dead now.

and

2/ If it goes slow, and he can manouver like that, he can ALWAYS point his nose, and therefore his weapons at you. You may have better airspeed, but his weapons are pointing at you. You can use that airspeed to separate and re-engage, but while you do that, he can regain airspeed too and the fight's back on an even level.

Cheers.

1/ I feel a bit like you've exactly gone to the 'you use that instead of fighting well' argument. That's a red herring.

You do that if it gets you anadvantage, or where if you don't do it you're dead. If that's the case, Temporarily alive is not dead now, it's alive to continue the fight, which is an infinitely better outcome than dead now.

and

My point was that any rapid energy bleeding manoeuvre can save you temporarily (TV or not) but it's not a great idea.

2/ If it goes slow, and he can manouver like that, he can ALWAYS point his nose, and therefore his weapons at you. You may have better airspeed, but his weapons are pointing at you.

Simply false. It's the commonly touted ability of TV yet we saw in the F-22 vs Rafale video that it isn't the case.

You can use that airspeed to separate and re-engage, but while you do that, he can regain airspeed too and the fight's back on an even level.

That's just plain wrong-minded thinking. If he climbs he's maintaining his SEP, his KE is turned to PE. You have thrown both KE and likely some PE. You can accelerate again but so can he. He'll always have more energy than you after that point. The next meet will be him descending on you from altitude whilst you're still recouping lost energy.

My point was that any rapid energy bleeding manoeuvre can save you temporarily (TV or not) but it's not a great idea.

Simply false. It's the commonly touted ability of TV yet we saw in the F-22 vs Rafale video that it isn't the case.

That's just plain wrong-minded thinking. If he climbs he's maintaining his SEP, his KE is turned to PE. You have thrown both KE and likely some PE. You can accelerate again but so can he. He'll always have more energy than you after that point. The next meet will be him descending on you from altitude whilst you're still recouping lost energy.

Think outside the box. You dont have to use that crazy 180° alpha maneuver every time just because you have TV. What happens in the Video posted is just for show-offs, while the real use of it might be less obvious. Think about the situations, where youre on the bandits tail, but the aerodynamic limitations of your plane just dont allow you to get that angle on him. Use that TV and that missile is surely going to cause him troubles. Or take for example defensive maneuvers that can be enhanced with TV in a way that makes it impossible for the opponent to follow you through them. Its not about the big maneuvers that will leave you standing around in the air if you dont get the kill, its about the small things TV can do to mess up your opponents day quickly.

The F-22 is only 2D vectored thrust isnt it ?

Makes no difference. By vectoring with one nozzle only, he can roll and then pitch as normal to achieve the effect of 3D vectoring. The fly-by-wire will do that automatically.

Edited by UCAS