Setting Mark Point using ATC Distance

bunraku

Hi.

If ATC give me directions to land and i have to fly a certain course for a set distance, is there a way for me to mark that point i have to fly to? I am not sure of the best way to mark the distance or count it down if that makes sense.

Thanx

Hi.

If ATC give me directions to land and i have to fly a certain course for a set distance, is there a way for me to mark that point i have to fly to? I am not sure of the best way to mark the distance or count it down if that makes sense.

Thanx

You can do it as follows:

1- Before contact ATC, set TAD as SOI.

2- Change Hook Own to Own Hook (the arrow goes out from you)

3- Contact ATC

4- ATC: Fly heading XXX for YY, QFE29decimal89, runway 13, to pattern altitude (which is 2000 feet)

5- Slew TAD cursor to said distance YY and bearing XXX then hit TMS right short to pop a markpoint. That should be your final approach position.

If you want a tutorial let me know.

But I don't like to do it like above.

Instead, I set ILS and heading to runway heading and when the runway walks towards center, I turn towards it. 10 mikes out usually sufficient to descend from 2000 feet to touchdown.

Edited by WildBillKelsoe

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

or if you want to insert it as steerpoint :

- take an overfly markpoint the moment he gives you bearing distance,

- Insert that markpoint as cdu Offset bullsye

- Insert bearing distance ATC notes you to CDU Offset and create a waypoint

- follow that steering point and then turn to the ranway bearing ATC notes you @ 2000 Ft

Edited by sungsam

DCS F16C 52+ w JHMCS ! DCS AH64D Longbow !

Instead, I set ILS and heading to runway heading and when the runway walks towards center, I turn towards it. 10 mikes out usually sufficient to descend from 2000 feet to touchdown.

Its good to know though since I've noticed intermittent ILS failures in missions. My suspicion is that missions made in older versions or for the pre-World module is the cause.

Warning: Nothing I say is automatically correct, even if I think it is.

Its good to know though since I've noticed intermittent ILS failures in missions. My suspicion is that missions made in older versions or for the pre-World module is the cause.

I don't have A-10 on world ;)

I play 1.1.1.1. (the KING)

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

you can just use the TTG numeric and do simple distance over speed to get the time.

For example:

Current speed 250 KIAs

Current course 190°

Contact ATC (Batumi)

Hog 1-1, Batumi, Fly 180°, for 25, runway 90, to pattern altitude.

In this case, it will take 6 mins to cover 25 nm @ 250 kts. You just need to turn to course 180.

As a general rule, it takes 6 mins to cover the declared mileage at a speed of mileage X10.

10 miles = 100 kts = 6mins

20 miles = 200 kts = 6mins

30 miles = 300 kts = 6mins

and so on..

What if you're flying slower or faster? slower means more than 6 mins, faster, less.