Contrails - still a huge FPS hit in mass scenarios (with tracks)

Megagoth1702

Hey guys,

I put a load of F-15s in the sky and at 30.000 feet they get contrails which screw up performance A LOT.

If they fly at 20.000 there are no issues, FPS is fine.

I understand having so many airplanes in the air with contrails is not gonna happen in missions that often but still...

I remember a patch making contrails a big FPS hog, the only "fix" that came was reducing the contrail's life while the real fix should have been killing whatever made the contrails eat so many FPS in the first place.

Tracks included. Just watch them, I do everything for you, camera switching, speeding up time etc. Takes 2 min max to watch each track.

poorPerformance.trk

goodPerformance.trk

Edited by Megagoth1702
Better Title

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System specs:

2500k @ 4.6 GHz

8GB RAM

HD7950 OC'd

Win7 x64

Posting tracks to make your DCS better - attention bump incoming!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Flying Hideout yesterday on 1.2.3, and the f15 contrails are killing my framerate. I'm running really smooth, but everytime they come into my field of vision - slideshow.

I usually get the fps drop from firing rockets or looking at CBU87s, but never this one before.

I'm running a quadcore96650, 560ti topend, 6gb ram.

Yeah I noticed that too in my mission where I have some orbitting just out of range to give fighters something to chase.

Any way we can change the temperature up there to something that won't result in contrails?

Cuts my FPS in half whether there is 1 set or 4...

"ENO"

Type in anger and you will make the greatest post you will ever regret.

"Sweetest's" Military Aviation Art

remove the contrail effects files or edit them,I'm in office, but will post files/edits when i get home.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

i know there's a file (I think it's CFG), that has smoke high, smoke med, smoke low for contrail effects. in the Bazar/effects/ folder or sub folder.

Notepad++ and search all CFG files for "Contrail" and it should find it. just change the Contrail Line to an Effect name so it doesnt load it.

(CTRL+SHIFT+F Search the /Effects/ Folder, Filters *.CFG, *LUA. for "Contrail").

I think it's the same JSmokeMaterial that the Chimneys in the Cities and buildings use (those in abundance cause a FPS hit too).

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

Contrails are now handled differently from earlier versions of DCS since they now use shader particle effects, maybe looking into the Bazar/shaders folder may help (there is also the outside chance that these effects are handled from hardcoded binaries, if so no go)

i think the Terrain/Environment control the contrails,

As I've searched the /Effects/ folder many times for a controlling parameter (ie Altitude).

I've disabled them before, but I think you have to disable a few things. (The Effect and the Material.?)

Will give a Look when I get home. (4 or 5 hours from now mind you).

I'll also check Alt they turn on on Georgia and the Alt they turn on in Nevada.

contrails are off above ~38K, i couldnt get any FPS hit on my setup.

Edit: seems the effect was changed to use something else, as changing the texture tga path and stuff no longer disables it.

Edited by SkateZilla

i think the contrail has 2 emitters now or at least 2 stages, the original, and the one you still see when you disable it, i can see distinct patters in the controls that would resemble the on/off of yours if the main emitter was disabled. (ie. when I fly at ALT I can see the contrail pulsating as it comes out of the plane.)

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...