Explain Ripple Quantity to me (Su-25)

maturin

Nothing is more embarrassing than diving in on a target with with two 500kg bombs and hitting release than to have only one bomb leave its rail. Then you've got the other one hanging on there, almost rolling you over as you sashay stupidly away from the target.

This bird only wants to drop one bomb at a time, even in Salvo Mode and no matter what the Ripple Quantity settings is at. I can't even find an explanation of the settings, ranging from default to 1 to 4 to something else.

If I choose a loadout in which every weapon pylon holds the same kind of bomb, then the system drops them two at a time, symmetrically. This happens with default ripple quantity, without salvo mode, and works perfectly. If I try to set the salvo mode to two (the correct value, right?!?) or anything else, then it goes all wonky again, dropping one by one.

When I have multiple types of bombs, even in salvo mode, they drop one at a time regardless of ripple quantity. Or maybe both drop, but at an irritating delay that spaces out the impacts too much. Especially with cluster dispensers.

Edited by maturin

...I can't even find an explanation of the settings, ranging from default to 1 to 4 to something else.

You mean other than pages 17-18 in the Su-25T manual? What bombs in particular are you having trouble with? And don't forget that you need to hold down the release button until all the munitions release. Otherwise the cycle is aborted wherever you are in the cycle.

EDIT: Here's a track (Ripples.trk). FAB-500s and FAB-250s set to simultaneous release on the left switch and ripple quantity "2' for the FAB-250s and "ALL" for the FAB-500s using the right switch. I was flying the keyboard, so I used a CCRP delivery to make my life easier but it works the same for CCIP. Keep in mind when you practice, though, that weapons on the outermost stations will drop in pairs even if you have "single" selected "to avoid excessively unbalancing the aircraft".

And a 2nd track (Ripples2.trk) with the ripple interval set to ".2".

You might also want to upload a mission with the aircraft carrying the weapon load you are having trouble with and describe what you are trying to do.

Rich

Edited by Ironhand

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

If I try to set the salvo mode to two (the correct value, right?!?) or anything else, then it goes all wonky again, dropping one by one...

Ummm....I'm reading this again this morning and wondering...which switch are you referring to? If you mean the one on the left, then that's the ripple interval and, yes, they would be dropping one at a time (assuming your specified value of "2"-[.2??]) with you holding the release key until the number selected on the right-hand switch have all left their pylons. The left-hand switch controls the spacing of each bomb's release in time, the right-hand switch controls the number of bombs to be released. The default setting for the left-hand switch is "ALL (at once)", while the default setting for the right-hand switch is "1".

Rich

Edited by Ironhand

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.