Gear State External Flight Model Source Problem Identified

CptSmiley

Hey All, so Skatezilla and I were discussing the problem with the gear state when using an external flight model we decided to go with the assumption that the problem was with the 3D model and not with the code/EFM or what not...

This is exactly the case! There are special connectors defined for the gear for EFM only aircraft (A-10, KA-50, P-51, etc..) if I use those shapes in place of my F-16 then the gear reaction works perfectly!

My problem now is that I need a F-16 3D model that has the connectors properly defined for the gear. I am not a 3D modeler or anything so not sure how hard/easy it would be for someone to do.

Hopefully Skatezilla can provide further details on the 3D modeling side, but at least we know what the issue is :)

"Witness mere F-14s taking off from adjacent flight decks, gracefully canting left and right, afterburners flaming, and there’s something that sweeps you away—or at least it does me. And no amount of knowledge of the potential abuses of carrier task forces can affect the depth of that feeling. It simply speaks to another part of me. It doesn’t want recriminations or politics. It just wants to fly.”

― Carl Sagan

If we were able to place the Connecters via the EDMViewer Dialog, then that might solve the issue,

However, I havent been able to do so, on our EDMs for Our Meshes (I place them in MAX), or on ED's EDMs (click create connector, nothing happens.)

but I can/EDMViewer Lets me place Connectors on LOM Files. but that's worthless as the game doesnt see them.

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Hopefully SkateZilla can provide some input on those details...I think by looking at the A-10C model in the viewer he was able to see what it needs to be defined as and can't tell us here.

Worst case scenario. I'll have to get a 3dmax version of the F-16 that he can get into DCS or I can learn a new skillset and start learning it myself! oh noes

"Witness mere F-14s taking off from adjacent flight decks, gracefully canting left and right, afterburners flaming, and there’s something that sweeps you away—or at least it does me. And no amount of knowledge of the potential abuses of carrier task forces can affect the depth of that feeling. It simply speaks to another part of me. It doesn’t want recriminations or politics. It just wants to fly.”

― Carl Sagan

AFAIK with the EDMs we experimented with, the Connector name doesn't matter, it just has to be in the area it's supposed to,

as my EDM is name "NoseGearContactPont", and "Maingear Contact Point

\while the A-10A/C's is:

Point 1 = Nose Gear Extended, Suspension w/ no Weight

Point 2 = Nose Gear Fully Compressed

Point 3 = Right Gear Extended, Suspension w/ no Weight

Point 4 = Right Gear Fully Compressed

Point 5 = Left Gear Extended, Suspension w/ no Weight

Point 6 = Left Gear Fully Compressed

Point 7 = Nose Gear 50% Compressed

Point 8 = Left Gear 50% Compressed

If EDMViewer allowed me to place connectors on EDMs, I would be able to do it easily.

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

Yes,

That and/or you define a user definition in the tire mesh, as the P-51D EDM doesnt have Connectors for tires.

Edited by SkateZilla

SFM Uses the LUA Coords, So Far, EFM needs 2 or 3 Connectors per gear, Min/Max then on ground/ weight on gear.

Edited by SkateZilla

It would be a great deal of help and fantastic if someone from ed would chime in with a answer.

Like:

"yeah guys, EFM uses point connectors for gear interaction coordinates"

or

"yeah guys, efm uses user definitions on the gear tire mesh to interact with the ground"

just so Im not barking up the wrong tree here.

im pretty sure it's a connector/point interaction, as our mesh for our module from Max only has NoseGearContact Point and MainGearContactPoint, which are both placed on the Centerline because i just placed them in side view to get the Y,Z coordinates for the gear and as such, our ext. model rightly tilts left or right.

that plus, when i swapped the F-16 Shape with the A-10A shape, while gear wouldnt deploy for me because I dont have the latest EFm build i was able to skid fast enough to use stabs to lift nose, from that point on i was rolling on the 2 main gear wheels, lol, skid marks also appear in the correct position of the A-10 Wheels and not the coordinates for the F-16 Gears.

Edited by SkateZilla

I don't think it's so much as connectors as it is contact points in the collision model that tell the sim where the gear are. Back when I was doing tests of our L-39 in DCS A-10C Beta 1.x.x.x I realized the model would fall through the ground over the A-10 FM when I replaced the collision shell with my own custom one, but when I replaced the A-10's the model would sit on the ground just fine.

i7 7700K | 32GB RAM | GTX 1080Ti | Rift CV1 | TM Warthog | Win 10

"There will always be people with a false sense of entitlement.

You can want it, you can ask for it, but you don't automatically deserve it. "

Well our module mesh for our in development airframe has no collision mesh, except a simple box, that covers the fuselage, vert stab, and wings, gear goes outside of that box.

just 2 points for the Y,Z coordinates of the Gears. one for the nose gear, one for the main gear both at 0.0 X Coordinates. so when we use our EDM the plane wobbles like it's only on 2 tires. I'll add more Points tonite and send the EDM to Capt. Smiley to see if it fixes that, and that will pretty much confirm it's points. as I have no user Def. definitions for the tire meshes.

Edited by SkateZilla

I think I've decided to delve into the 3D world and grab my own F-16 model to work with that is much prettier and I can work with it to get it exactly how I like.

The control mixing in the base model is also not correct so I'd like to fix that too...

...I have no idea what I'm doing :)

― Carl Sagan

Sounds like contact points for sure, if it is falling over like a stationary bicycle! :D

Best regards,

Tango.

what i need to determine is if retracting the gear removes those contact points and allows belly scraping. or if setting those points is simply mounting the airframe on an invisible tripid of connectors, LAnding and seeing if the gears spin, shock reaction, and touch smoke will confirm.

It could still very well be a User Defined Property on the gear tires.

Edited by SkateZilla

I think I've decided to delve into the 3D world and grab my own F-16 model to work with that is much prettier and I can work with it to get it exactly how I like.

The control mixing in the base model is also not correct so I'd like to fix that too...

...I have no idea what I'm doing :)

Control mixing of Flaps and Roll?

Maybe I should Hierarchy Link them? lol...

the A-10A/C Points dont move with the gears deploy/Retract Args, nor the F-15 EDMs. P-51D being the wierd EDM, as it doesnt have any points/connectors,

Does P-51D use EFM or SFM? This is the one thing that keeps the "User Defined" Property theory from being thrown away.

Just to be clear on my previous post... no, LUA contact points no longer work for custom SFM either, in 1.2.2. I imagine it's going to the same method as the EFM.

i haven't tested any SFM 3rd party module's gear yet, so I'll do that when i get home.

might also explain why wingtip trails are gone too.

Edited by SkateZilla

I noticed that as well with my Viper, no wingtip trails in the public 1.2.2, but my testers build still has them. I do have the wingtip vapor helper points set up on the model but they were never needed before... Beats me.

TYPE = "omg";

TYPE = "wtf";

TYPE = "halp";

TYPE = "areyoukiddingme";

:D