New to this and need info

Hi everyone I hope I am posting in the correct forum.

I am recently retired and have the time to devote to playing around. I used to do some flight simulation several years ago but never had the time to get into it.

I want to build up a simulation setup. I have the X52 PRO, Cobra MFD on order as well as Lock On Platinum to start with. I own Falcon AF also and just today downloaded DSC World.

I also have been reading about MFD Extractor and Helios. Seems that the SC Simulations site is down so finding out a lot of info on Helios is difficult. I have watched some Youtube videos and it looks interesting. I have a couple of extra monitors around (two of which are 15" ELO Touchsreens) and would like to try getting the MFD onto a second monitor which is hooked up via USB.

A few questions to start

1) What is the difference between MFDE and Helios?

2) What flight simulators are supported by each application?

3) Is there any other applications I should be looking at to do this?

4) Which app uses less CPU power to avoid as much loss in FPS?

5) Which is faster (less CPU and higher FPS) a USB monitor or the second port on a graphics card (like the 8800GT) and which way is recommended?

Thanks for any help to get an older guy started.

OverDhill

http://www.gadrocsworkshop.com/helios/latest

here you can find alot of information including downloads for helios and helios profiles

Helios is based on a touchscreen showing the full pit which have the clickable pit infront of you

MFD's can be exported to a second screen or can be used with the

Thrustmaster Cougar MFD's

DCS World holds these modules:

A-10c

Ka-50

Mustang P-51

Combined arms

Flaming cliffs 3 including F15c ( new module since yesterday )

The other questions i am gonna leave open for others here cause im using both USB and DVI and HDMI ports

and im having a FPS of 40 with a gtx-560 overclocked

[sIGPIC]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic90574_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

Australasian Gaming Community

Specs: Intel Quad 2.4GHz -- Geforce GTX 560 Duo -- SSD HDD -- 8Gb Mem -- 23" led -- 17"touch -- Logitech G940 Flight System --JoyLocs-- TIR 5 -- Cougar MFD'S -- Helios -

Welcome to the retired roll. Helios is a program made by Gadroc that allows to use a profile on a touchscreen that allows you to use the switches, knobs, etc. It is an more realistic than using mouse to click switches. There are several prople that have made layouts that interface between the flightsim and Helios and these layouts allow for button pushes for the mfd's and also download the video seen on the mfd's. The Thrustmaster mfd's are hardware that allows you to push the mfd buttons, but do not have the video are the center screens are not there. Lighting made a program MFDE (a program designed for the Falcon series) that allows one to capture the mfd video on a video device mounted behind the TM mfd's. DCS allows you to get the video thru a lua configration file again displayed on a video device mounted behind the TM mfd's. All of this is done to provide added realism to a sim. If you are just getting started into modern jet combat sims I would first become proficent in flying, as you become more at home flying, then start getting items that will help you become better. The first item of equipment is a good stick, followed by a hotas system. Because this transition comes fairly fast, you might get this item at the start. From here you can think of other items that make things easier and improve your flying, rudder pedals, track ir, mfd's, more monitors, etc.

Lumper

-------------------------------------------

When the going gets tough, the smart cutout.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

2 days ago Flaming Cliffs 3 came out

you can download dcs world for free including the free SU-25T

flaming cliffs 3 works in dcs world

the X52pro is a good choice!

Specs: Intel Quad 2.4GHz -- Geforce GTX 560 Duo -- SSD HDD -- 8Gb Mem -- 23" led -- 17"touch -- Logitech G940 Flight System --JoyLocs-- TIR 5 -- Cougar MFD'S -- Helios -

Well one thing I want to do is to play around getting a 15" Touchscreen monitor I have sitting here going as a second monitor. For one it is a fun project but also for me I think it would help me to learn to fly by having the most used things in front on me in easy reach. Really looking at Falcon BMS right now as it runs well on my system and the updates look pretty nice. It has its own extractor but if I want more I will have to look at Helios or MDF Extractor. Still reading a bunch of forums to see what would the best way to proceed.

I suggest at least 17" for helios 15" is pretty small cause your buttons get smaller as well

I have 17" my self for helios and still think its to small but my space on the desk aint bigger lol