Help with Navigation and Landing?

hachiman

Hi

Sorry for my newbie questions.

I have some questions about Navigation and Landing. I’d be grateful for any answers as I’m a bit confused. So far I seem to be using TACAN to get me within visual range of an Airfield and just landing visually when I see it. I seem to pick up the ILS practically a couple hundred yards from the runway, so obviously I am not picking up the ILS Glideslope far enough out. So altogether it’s messy.

1) Does ILS operate from both directions of an Airfield or just some? I notice some Airfields like Tblisi seem to have the 2 White things coming out of both directions with ILS Frequencies while others don’t?

2) If I get a direction and range from ATC for a landing approach for an Airfield do I get the ILS at the point in space as they don’t give a height or what else am I supposed to do?

3) And lastly are you meant to use ATC+TACAN+ ILS. Or is it whatever combination you prefer such as ATC+ILS or TACAN+ILS or ATC+VFR etc etc?

Thanks for your help.

1) You can go into the Mission Editor and each airfield should display the ILS for each runway direction. Some use both, some are the same.

2) The Mission Editor map can display the maximum range and lateral coverage of the ILS transmitter (usually about 10nm).

3) You should always contact ATC regardless. The controller will always advise you when it's safe to land. You never want to land while another aircraft is taking off, or taxiing off the runway.

ILS is best used in low-visibility landings, where precise approaches are absolutely necessary, however you can use it during clear skies to practice good approaches.

TACAN is used as a secondary navigation system, should primary systems become inoperable. The main thing to remember about airfield TACAN frequencies is that the signal usually originates from broadcast stations, not the actual airfield. TACAN can be used to navigate to an area near the desired airfield, which then the pilot can visually acquire it.

In my experience, it's not very common to require more than two methods (ATC + TACAN or ILS).

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

Only a few Airports in this region have ILS and often they only have on runway equipped with it. If an airport has ILS on both runways, it might use the same frequency for both or seperate ones. If you're tuned to the correct frequency and approaching the correct runway, you shouldn't have any issues picking up the glidescope early.

Same with TACAN, only a few Airports are equipped with it.

Usually if visibility is good enough, I fly the heading provided by ATC, get a visual on the runway and turn for a straight in.

If visibility is too low to get a visual on the runway and there is no TACAN or ILS, I turn my heading knob for the runway heading, switch the steerpoint to the airfield I want to land on and fly the ATC's heading. Then, once the steerpoint needle on the HSI lines up with the heading indicator, it's time to turn.

There are no general rules of how you have to approach the airfield in this game. If you are member of a squadron, they might have rules that can range from allowed approaches and required procedures up to the strict use of printed out approach plates. Aside from that, in public games, I'd just say don't do anything stupid and try to work with ATC as good as possible.

aka: Baron

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Following the vector ATC provides will get you to a point sufficiently away from the airport to execute an approach into the wind either visually or on instruments. On your way to the approach fix descend to "pattern altitude", or about 2000-2500 feet AGL (above ground level). If you turn toward the air field and fly straight and level you will intercept the glideslope from below (you should pick up the signal about 10 NM out), which is similar to real life general aviation procedure.

If you have not already done so, I also suggest searching YouTube for one of the many excellent landing tutorials.

Zenra

Intel i7 930 2.8GHz; ATI HD5850 1GB; 1TB Serial ATA-II; 12GB DDR3-1333; 24 x DL DVD+/-RW Drive; 800W PSU; Win7-64; TM Warthog HOTAS

I seem to pick up the ILS practically a couple hundred yards from the runway, so obviously I am not picking up the ILS Glideslope far enough out. So altogether it’s messy.

One tip. If you are going to land and want to maintain an optimal glideslope, just remember this rule: 300 feet per nautical mile.

So, if you are 10 miles away from the airport make sure your altimeter shows about 3000 feet (300ft x 10(nm) = 3000ft) AGL. And when you are within 5 miles from the airport, 1500 AGL (300ft x 5(nm) = 1500).

10nm - 3000ft

9nm - 2700ft

8nm - 2400ft

7nm - 2100ft

6nm - 1800ft

5nm - 1500ft

4nm - 1200ft

3nm - 900ft

2nm - 600ft

1nm - 300ft

0nm - 0ft

:joystick::D

• Like 1

One tip. If you are going to land and want to maintain an optimal glideslope, just remember this rule: 300 feet per nautical mile.

So, if you are 10 miles away from the airport make sure your altimeter shows about 3000 feet (300ft x 10(nm) = 3000ft) AGL. And when you are within 5 miles from the airport, 1500 AGL (300ft x 5(nm) = 1500).

10nm - 3000ft

9nm - 2700ft

8nm - 2400ft

7nm - 2100ft

6nm - 1800ft

5nm - 1500ft

4nm - 1200ft

3nm - 900ft

2nm - 600ft

1nm - 300ft

0nm - 0ft

Thanx you freefall

Actually practicing this in zero visability makes this much more second nature. For me, the first few times were very disorienting because of information overload. Altitude, speed, bearing, flaps, gear, etc. The key is giving your self enough time to read your instrument, figure out where you are in relation to where you need to be and flying to the point on the radial that you need to fly to.

Alternatively, in the 476th we practice a standard procedure turn for landing. It takes alot of guessing out because the process is always the same no matter where you are landing as long as you know the runway number.

1. Fly to the TACAN. Make sure you are at 3000 AGL when you get there.

2. Turn outbound on the approach fix (heading outbound on the inbound runway radial i.e. for runway 09 you'll be flying away from the TACAN on heading 270.

3. Fly outbound for 1 min. Try 3 or min 4 the first few times just to give yourself a few more minutes to process.

4. Turn 45 degrees left or right and count to 30 (assuming standard 30 degrees of bank).

5. Turn back towards approach fix and line up with final approach heading.

6. Use your ILS instrument to fine tune your approach. Abort if you reach the inner marker and you aren't lined up.

This is almost actually the same as a TACAN approach except you don't have to wait until you line up with approach fix, you just fly straight to it with the added benefit of scouting the runway before hand.

Edited by Meatwod
  • Like 1

Thanx Meatwood. I'll try that myself as very informative. By the way on a landing issue why don't all towers appear when i press ATC on the radio options. I never see Senaki which is where i want to land etc.

I think the tower responds to Kholki actually. :P

Its weird, but thats how it is. Field in game is called Senaki-Kholki.

Warning: Nothing I say is automatically correct, even if I think it is.

10nm - 3000ft

9nm - 2700ft

8nm - 2400ft

7nm - 2100ft

6nm - 1800ft

5nm - 1500ft

4nm - 1200ft

3nm - 900ft

2nm - 600ft

1nm - 300ft

0nm - 0ft