DCS FC3 Questions & Answers Thread

Milene

So I was starting to doubt my F-15 knowledge (I am currently an F-15 crew chief with 12+ yrs on F-15C/D/E's) so I did some fact checking with one of the most experienced f-15C pilots I know with almost 20 years of flying F-15's and when I explained the AFM limits in game his response was "bullsh*t!" The F-15's unique ability to accelerate vertically is one the of the key attributes that the pilots use to gain the advantage in a dogfight and I simply can't come close to duplicating that aspect in the game. I realize that a video game will never be the same as the real thing but I figured I would would atleast bring it up in the hopes that the devs might fix it in a future update

Rather than simply asking him "does it accelerate in the vertical", ask him under what *conditions* does it accelerate in the vertical. The PFM does. It simply does not do it at all times, because the actual F-15 doesn't do so at all times, otherwise, we'd be talking about using it as an orbital platform.

We have contact with many F-15 SMEs. And we know how to read and replicate the TO's.

The in-game F-15 performance matches the TOs.

Hey man, we're all here to make the game better, no? And I think the best way to do that is to foster conversation about the issues that the game has, like the climbing abilities of the F-15. I get that there are a lot of people that claim to have knowledge that they indeed do not, but how about picking this Not_G guys' brain and see if he knows what he's talking about? You clearly seem to have plenty of access to F-15 SME's (not quite sure what they are). So that way if this Not_G guy is in fact a bullshitter, you can disregard his false claims of knowledge. And if he DOES know what he's talking about, maybe you can listen to this rare source of community knowledge, and fix a false aspect of the F-15. Either way, I don't think you should be shutting down active members like that.

Lunatic, yeah man I really wanted to see if anyone would hear me out . But yes I agree with you and have access to all that information. Just want to see if It's even worth my time to dig through all the data and get a no sh*t "heres exactly what it's supposed to do" answer (thats alot of extra hours at work).

But see Not_G, here lies the rub:

Somebody sez "oh, Boeing says the F-15 accelerates in the vertical, thus the model is wrong", quoting a piece of advertising literature, which gives no breakdown as to the specific point at which it will do so, causing an argument. Meanwhile, folks with the charts can point to them and show where in the envelope it performs this acceleration.

Thus my contention towards yours- if you go to the pilot and simply ask if she'll do so, sure, he's going to say yes. It's important to know specifically where. This way, not only can you bring forward information that may or may not already be had, but you can confirm that you yourself are driving the aircraft within parameters that justify the contention that it's not doing as it should. You may find that is the case, you also may not. Point being, that it has to come from honest test and evaluation based on data, versus conjecture or opinion.

Just ask your crew for a baseline situation, and then replicate it as a start. Then start pressuring the charts and the info.

And if he DOES know what he's talking about, maybe you can listen to this rare source of community knowledge, and fix a false aspect of the F-15. Either way, I don't think you should be shutting down active members like that.

See above. There's enough conjecture coming out of every Tom, Dick, and Harry who have never seen an F-15 live and in person, let alone sat in the seat, without actionable information, that dismissal is the appropriate response until actually valid data is available.

This project was not constructed by Belsimtek in a void. Aircrew have validated it a number of regimes as better than the multi-million dollar distributed simulators employed by the USAF. Such resolution requires those experienced in actually handling a jet. So acting as though Not_G is the first person who might have had a concern, or have access to data that they don't have, isn't a useful exercise.

Thanks for the input lunatic, guess I didn't really look at it that way... anyways theres obviously alot of charts to reference in order to PROVE what I'm saying which will take a lot of work on my part. I didn't want to put in all the leg work just to have a moderator tell me to f off in the end.

Yes, it will take a lot of work. We have people who have put that work in. If you do the work and find discrepancies and it's beyond 10% difference, then we have to figure out who did the test procedure incorrectly. It's very easy to mess that part up, and there can sometimes be issues of interpretation, which is where real pilot input is required.

Finally, weights and drag indexes are important. If I recall correctly, some FCF checks are performed usually with a clean, no-pylon aircraft, which isn't something you can get in this game.

Thanks for the input lunatic, guess I didn't really look at it that way... anyways theres obviously alot of charts to reference in order to PROVE what I'm saying which will take a lot of work on my part. I didn't want to put in all the leg work just to have a moderator tell me to f off in the end.

Edited by GGTharos

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Yes, it will take a lot of work. We have people who have put that work in. If you do the work and find discrepancies and it's beyond 10% difference, then we have to figure out who did the test procedure incorrectly. It's very easy to mess that part up, and there can sometimes be issues of interpretation, which is where real pilot input is required.

Finally, weights and drag indexes are important. If I recall correctly, some FCF checks are performed usually with a clean, no-pylon aircraft, which isn't something you can get in this game.

Ok, so I did a lot more testing and it turns out I wasn't doing it right... The results Im getting now are much more like what I was hoping for. I still haven't gotten the black and white answer Im looking for but I did find that the in game time to climb is about 15 sec off @ 30,000ft for me (I know... nitpicky). If you're interested I can upload a video of the tests just PM me.All in all the more I fly this thing the more impressed I am with the work you guys did, hands down most accurate f-15 I've seen in a game by far. And yes the FCF is done without pylons but the drag index on those are pretty small, they mainly affect the jet in a sideslip

Sure, you can post the video. Are you consistently off by 15sec? Sometimes pilot technique is a problem, I know I can kill energy easily if I'm not really, really mindful of my flying habits - a little porpoising is all it takes :P

Can you tell me which TO chart you were trying to match? This way the test can be flown independently as well. Also, 15sec may fit within the 10% margin (of course the devs would probably like the margin to be smaller, and that may happen).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

I'm having trouble posting the one chart by itself so I don't post the whole thing but It's the 1F-15A-1-1 fig B4-1. I used 43,000lbs, 30,000ft and 9.9 drag index (3.3 per pylon) I started the timer at brake release and factored in 30 sec for climb speed to be reached. I tested it about 10-15 times and they were all within a second or two of each other. I also tried at different pitch attitudes with pretty similar results.

damnit! Yeah I was but I just noticed that the chart I have in my email and the print out sitting in front of me are different.... the one I had in front of me is -100 TTC and its exactly .2 min less than the -220 (surprised that its less). So that means your guy's model is consistently spot on! sorry about that

can we expect the MiG-29 to be getting an upgrade (3D modelling wise) in the coming months?

RTX 2070 8GB | 32GB DDR4 2666 RAM | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 4.2Ghz | Asrock X570 | CH Fighterstick/Pro Throttle | TM MFDs | TrackIR 5

can we expect the MiG-29 to be getting an upgrade (3D modelling wise) in the coming months?

Anything just to give us a little hope.:noexpression:

Intel i5 7600K @ 4.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4 @ 3200MHz | MSI RTX 4060 Gaming X 8G | WD Black NVMe 2TB | Sound Blaster Audigy RX | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | Corsair H80i v2 | Corsair RM750x | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS Flight Pack | TrackIR 5 | Windows 10 Home 64-bit |

Sig1.png

• 3 weeks later...

besides some input for the Mig29 3d modell upgrade, can we get any info on the announced Su24 Fencer 3d model (the preview pics looked very promising :thumbup:) as well on the recently shown pics of Su34 :thumbup:??

the Su24 initallly was planned to get released for 1.2.8 IIRC?

thanks in advance

Intel I7 - 10700 K @ 3,80GHz / 64 GB DDR3 / RTX 3090 / Win 10 Home 64 bit / Logitech X56 HOTAS / HP Reverb G2  

Running DCS on latest OB version 

no one able to give a comment here? new Su24 to be seen in one of the next 1.2.8 updates ?

Intel I7 - 10700 K @ 3,80GHz / 64 GB DDR3 / RTX 3090 / Win 10 Home 64 bit / Logitech X56 HOTAS / HP Reverb G2  

Running DCS on latest OB version 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I've just bought FC3 from the DCS store but it needs DCS World.

My DCS World is in my steam folder. Can I combine these or do I have to install another DCS World outside of steam?

I'm not very PC savy so any advice would be very wecome

Hi I've just bought FC3 from the DCS store but it needs DCS World.

My DCS World is in my steam folder. Can I combine these or do I have to install another DCS World outside of steam?

I'm not very PC savy so any advice would be very wecome

Install FC3 via Steam

games->add game from outside library or something like that ;)

Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X | i7 9700K@5.0GHz | Asus TUF OC RTX 4090 | 32GB DDR4@3200MHz | HP Reverb G2 | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Croswinds

Tell them that they can not do much without your air support and they will call you for help very often ;)

Немој ништа силом, узми већи чекић!

MSI Tomahawk MAX | Ryzen 7 3700x | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | RX 5700 XT OC Red Dragon 8GB | VPC Throttle CM3 + VPC Constellation ALPHA on VPC WarBRD Base | HP Reverb G2

Youtube Follow Me on TWITCH! 

Do the FC3 aircraft have clickable cockpits at all?

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen

no....all keyboard mapping...that is the main difference between "DCS" airframes and FC3...

i dont believe any more none clickable stuff is being made....they simply added the old FC2 aircraft to DCS to give new players a lower learning curve and old players some airframes to fly till better stuff is built....

...DCS is "High Fidelity" stuff (clickable cockpits and accurate system models)

...FC3 is for ppl that want to learn to fly and shoot stuff without the hours of studying needed in DCS airframes

It only takes two things to fly, Airspeed and Money.

OK, thanks. I'm a bit of a click-addict, so I'm not sure I'd like FC3 then but I guess if I build myself some panels I can still map them to the internal FC3 commands like with the DCS aircraft can't I, or doesn't it even have those, just keyboard commands?

EDIT: To be clear, I'm asking if there's commands like this available for the FC3 aircraft, to allow me to control all the systems with an DIY control panel and Arduino:

{down = device_commands.Button_10, up = device_commands.Button_10, cockpit_device_id = devices.ELEC_INTERFACE, value_down = -1.0, value_up = 0.0, name = 'Main generator ON/OFF Switch', category = 'Ins Overhead panel'},

Edited by doveman

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen

Do the FC3 aircraft have clickable cockpits at all?

We are all wainting for F-15C clickable available in near future ;)

Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X | i7 9700K@5.0GHz | Asus TUF OC RTX 4090 | 32GB DDR4@3200MHz | HP Reverb G2 | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Croswinds