FPS hits take away the fun... completely

Lange_666

I'm not really happy with DCS World 1.2.2 performance wise.

Own settings 1900x1200, as good as everything on medium, shadows low, cockpit shadows off, tree shadows off, civ traffic off. FPS capped to 30 through nVidia's adaptive VSync at half the refreshrate.

Entered a multiplayer server half an hour ago, nothing special, free flight, only armament are guns.

When i enter, there is only 1 person in game, i take an A-10C on the flightline, start it up and while doing so, other people join (or leave) and they all select various aicraft from A-10C's over P-51D's, F-15's to Ka-50. FPS stays on a constant 30, everything smooth.

I get clearance to taxi to RWY 24, i pass another A-10C which is on his start-up sequence and a bit futher i pass a hovering Ka-50. Doing so i switch a bit between cockpit and flyby (or driveby at this point) view. FPS stays at a constant 30, everything smooth.

Then a P-51D takes off on my right and the FPS drops to anything between 10 and 16 turning the sim into a slideshow until he flies by where after the FPS shoots back up to the capped 30 and everyting is smooth again.

I keep hearing the P-51D so i turn my head just to see him make a turn and the FPS again takes a dive to anything in between 10 and 15. Then the P-51D dude squeezes his trigger and i see a few tracers fly straight and level across the runway. This action makes the FPS even dive deeper into the single digits with 3 (yes three !!) as a minimum. When the tracers and the P-51D are gone the FPS shoots back up to 30.

I head towards the sea because a bit offshore, the Carl Vinson is floating around and i want to take a peak there. When i get close i spot a Ka-50 flying towards it and a bit later it lands on the CV's deck. All this time the FPS stayes at the capped 30 FPS and the sim runs smooth.

But the moment i decide to fly towards the airfield again the FPS starts to jump up and down again, again going to the lower single digits. And again it's a complete sildeshow.

I don't have to tell anyone that a game, running at 3 FPS is not much fun to play.

In fact, it made me quit without even bothering to land my airplane. The fun was gone, the immersion was gone and it ruined my game experience for tonight also.

Something is wrong with this sim performance wise because on some versions in runs very smooth only to be broken again after the next update. I don't know what causes this and i'm not really interrested anymore in trying to find out what causes it either (or what module causes it). Up to version 1.2.3 with hopefully a FINAL FIX for this kinda problems. Up until then i shelve this version.

Edited by Lange_666

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

the P-51D dude squeezes his trigger and i see a few tracers fly straight and level across the runway. This action makes the FPS even dive deeper into the single digits with 3 (yes three !!) as a minimum. When the tracers and the P-51D are gone the FPS shoots back up to 30.

I have the same problem with the P-51D.. Impossible to engage in a dogfight at low level :joystick:. High up the fps only drops to 13-16 when firing the 50 cals, but at ground level fps goes down to 3-4. Otherwise I get a steady 30-40fps. I hope this will be fixed soon, I want to get back in the air with the mustang. Meanwhile I'll have to fly the A-10C and FC3

i-7 2637M

6,00 GB

GeForce GT640M

128GB SSD

27" Display @ 1920x1080

i7-2637M

6,00 GB

GeForce GT640M

128GB SSD

27" Display @ 1920x1080

Logitech G940 (modded)

Windows 7 64bit

Observing one or two tanks fire absolutely kills FPS in my game where the they were orders of magnitude better before. The dust effect from the tanks works just fine on the other hand. I haven´t tried 1.2.2 again since then and cannot say anything about your problem, Lange. AI-tanks now also shoot through their allied teammates when engaging the enemy.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Deedle, deedle!

I'm not really happy with DCS World 1.2.2 performance wise.

I don't have to tell anyone that a game, running at 3 FPS is not much fun to play.

In fact, it made me quit without even bothering to land my airplane. The fun was gone, the immersion was gone and it ruined my game experience for tonight also.

Something is wrong with this sim performance wise because on some versions in runs very smooth only to be broken again after the next update. I don't know what causes this and i'm not really interrested anymore in trying to find out what causes it either (or what module causes it). Up to version 1.2.3 with hopefully a FINAL FIX for this kinda problems. Up until then i shelve this version.

Unfortunately I am of the same opinion, I get more fun looking at missions in the mission editor than actually flying them (Sad but that is how the sim is now, I might as well watch AI do my flying and watch the movie of the action from different vantage points whilst watching all of the frame rate drops). Also the mission editor has just as many problems, the better I get at using it, the more I find wrong with it.

Personally, I am more into choppers and am looking to reverse all missions made for DCSW and make them run under Black shark 1 (1.02 runs like butter on my computer) or maybe stick with BS2 1.1.1.1.

Mostly likely will not be buying anymore modules either, I don't buy beta versions, as I don't what to be a beta tester and spend countless hours finding and reporting bugs (but this seems to be what I am doing now), I want to play a game to relax or to be challenged by the real life aspect of the vehicle.

But alas the released versions in my opinion are still very much beta, I have spend way to many days and months trying to get DCSW BS2 running in an acceptable manner but with each update, those gains have been wiped out.

I watch with a glimmer of hope that one day these terrific sims will be all that they can be: fluid, polished, reliable, challenging and fun (only challenging at the moment and for all the wrong reasons).

Regards, Ian.

• Like 1

Asus p877v-pro, Intel I7 3770k 4.2ghz, 32gb Ripjaw X ram, Nvidia RTX-2070 Super, Samsung 32" TV, Saitek x52 pro Joystick and Combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Win8.1 x64 with SSD and SSHD protected by (Avast AV).

DCS Tech Support.