v1.2.2 - 1st impressions

msalama

Hiya -

Haven't really had the time so far to check the bugga out in depth, but as far as prelim tests go, this may be the best of them yet (YMMV of course). FPS very smooth - had to make some adjustments to my config though - and what's more important it feeking looks GORGEOUS! Now I ofc don't know what you ED wizards did, but seems to me at least that the graphical quality went up a notch and performance was bettered too...

As far as the FMs go, well, the flyables seem to behave themselves better now. And I _don't_ mean they're EASIER per se, but maybe somehow more predictable - cannot really put my finger on it just now, but seems like they're kind of more well rounded or something.

All in all I really REALLY like this patch, so don't you DARE and f**k it up now :D S!

PS / EDIT: as a negative the MRLS salvos still totally kill the framerate, so how about looking into that next?

PS2. The AI, even, seems to have grown some brains. Placebo, or true? At least the SAMs are more lively now - and react to the situation at hand it seems. As do the AI choppers too, BTW...

Edited by msalama

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

Yeah....as I showed in a screenshot...AI choppers were fantastic...gave me a chuckle...the Aim 9x did not kill them completely...and they made a nice field landing and the pilots walked away. (well...they left the chopper). That is what I call an awsome detail. This is what makes it fun...to notice these little things. :) Shows the attention to detail.

In other news...I tried a fresh 1.2.1 install and tried integrating the amazing new water into current DCS. I tried copying the whole bazar folder...did nothing. I guess it was somehting in the dll or exe. I tried replacing dlls from the bin and the game doesn't start.

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

As far as the FMs go, well, the flyables seem to behave themselves better now. And I _don't_ mean they're EASIER per se, but maybe somehow more predictable - cannot really put my finger on it just now, but seems like they're kind of more well rounded or something.
Yo-Yo said that the F.M.s haven't been touched in this patch. You're feeling placebo effect--I've felt it myself, once. I'd not flown in a week or so, due to patching issues, so I crashed the first time I landed in the new version. I thought it was due to an F.M. change, but it turned out it was merely me being out of practice.

My first impressions?

Uhhm, well... mixed. The performance really seems to be better a little, also particle effects appear to cause not so big FPS problems than before (but still much bigger than I'd like). The rotor downwash effect still causes huge FPS drop (although it has also improved a little), and some minor bugs are still present (or newly introduced).

But in the first place, there are two game breaking bugs: 1. Broken FFB => sim is unplayable :mad:, and 2. huge freeze on Ka-50 mission start.

I really hope that ED will adress these issues as soon as possible.

But at least they fixed the trains, they don't drive around with automobiles coupled between wagons anymore. :D

You're feeling placebo effect--I've felt it myself, once.

Could be the flyables feel more well-rounded to me now because the sim itself runs more fluidly overall, so yeah, it's probably all placebo :P But what still puzzles me is how folks continue to have massive performance problems, when to me it has honestly gotten better with every iteration - although not without heavy tweaking it has to be said. But doesn't all that just show how difficult it is to design and/or code for such a heterogeneous platform as the PC?

But anyway, regardless of the praise I've uttered here I still _do_ hope they fix the FPS-murdering MRLS salvos some day :mad:

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

Maybe it's another placebo effect, but I could swear that it's much easier spotting other aircraft from the cockpit now.

Seems like you can see them from a little further away, and they look just a bit 'fuller' to me.

I love it, even been switching off my custom little dot "." labels sometimes.

Maybe that's just how it's been all along in DCS world, but I just haven't done any air-to-air so haven't noticed it? Or maybe I'm crazy? (got FC3 so I've been in the F-15)

Also, watching the burners kick on from other aircraft, even if they're pretty far away looks awesome. Although I guess this could be another thing that was always there but just didn't notice flying a-10 (got FC3 so I've been in the F-15).

Best people to ask would be eno and wrecking crew. Their server has probably had the worst luck with listing.

Asus Sabertooth P67 Motherboard 2600k CPU, 16 gig DDR3, 1600. Samsung 830, 256 gig hard drive,

GTX780 Video Card, Warthog Hotas, Razer Mamba mouse. Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals. Trackir 5, Verizon FIOS 25Meg Up/Down

Maybe it's another placebo effect, but I could swear that it's much easier spotting other aircraft from the cockpit now.

Seems like you can see them from a little further away, and they look just a bit 'fuller' to me.

I noticed this too, but it only seems to be the case in FC3.

All seems to be very stable. None of the crashing/ conflict issues I initially had with 1.2.1.

Frame rates seem a bit higher generally too.

I haven't flown a fast jet since BS1 first came out. I had a quick blat in the F15C and nearly flew off the map before I turned around ;). I had forgotten what a slow poke the Hog is, but i still love it.

While it was fun to fly a fast mover again and great to see some new flyable aircraft in the game, personally I don't feel I would enjoy going back to a non-clickable cockpit or FC3 level of systems detail long term - just personal preference. Guess I'll just have to wait for DCS ??, or one of the third party devs to give me something new.

I've only flown a couple of short missions, but already have noticed some of the fixes, like AAR. Excellent work ED, and thanks for all the hard work in getting 1.2.1 and FC3 out for the community. :thumbup:

I have the A-10 and Mustang modules and so far I'm seeing a great improvement in FPS on my old rig. The biggest difference is the Mustang which is much smoother now and I can actually do air to air engagements, prior it was like a slide show. I particularly like the new bullet effects, I can see the hits on the a/c. The best thing is the auto-updater, it only touched the files that were required, all of my controller profiles were untouched as well as skins. Excellent job, ED!

Controls are pain in the *** to remap but for now FC3 runs flawlessly for me. (At least the f-15)

Oh, just one thing I don't understand: why the radar breaks lock by itself every 5-10 seconds. I have to re-lock my target constantly... I have to investigate about that.

DCS Wish: Turbulences affecting surrounding aircraft...

[sIGPIC] [/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P - Intel Core i5 6600K - 16Gb RAM DDR4-2133 - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 Gaming - 8 Go - 2 x SSD Crucial MX300 - 750 Go RAID0 - Screens: HP OMEN 32'' 2560x1440 + Oculus Rift CV1 - Win 10 - 64bits - TM WARTHOG #889 - Saitek Pro Rudder.