Sound modding

c0ff

• ED Team
C:\Users\herky\P3dv4\Saved Games\DCS\Sounds\Speech\Sound\ENG\Common\Player

and

C:\Users\herky\P3dv4\Saved Games\DCS\Sounds\Speech\Sound\ENG\Common\Wingman

Unfortunately, this doesn't work. Is there something else I need to do apart from add the sound file folder structure to Saved Games?

The proper paths will be

C:\Users\herky\P3dv4\Saved Games\DCS\Sounds\Speech\ENG\Common\Player

and

C:\Users\herky\P3dv4\Saved Games\DCS\Sounds\Speech\ENG\Common\Wingman

This will be enough if you only replaced the existing sounds.

If you added new ones, at the moment, the only way is to add new entries to Scripts\Speech\_index.lua

The support for user-mods which add new languages/phrases is in the TODO list.

Dmitry S. Baikov @ Eagle Dynamics

LockOn FC2 Soundtrack Remastered out NOW everywhere - https://band.link/LockOnFC2.

The proper paths will be

and

This will be enough if you only replaced the existing sounds.

If you added new ones, at the moment, the only way is to add new entries to Scripts\Speech\_index.lua

The support for user-mods which add new languages/phrases is in the TODO list.

Many thanks. I will have another go.

Before 2.5.6, if I wanted to have German speaking wingmen, I just replaced the English wingman folder with my re recorded German speech folder. They all had the same titles, I just replaced the recordings with my German radio sounds. So if the above file structure works then I should be able to substitute the wingman sounds.

I will try again tomorrow.

Pity about the non standard phrases. I had quite a few extra mission recordings that I could trigger from the mission editor "sound to all/coalition" etc. Looks like I'll have to do without them?

I am useless at lua scripts so I don't think I can manage that!

Regards.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]i7 Haswell @ 4.6Ghz, Z97p, GTX1080, 32GB DDR3, x3SSD, Win7/64, professional. 32" BenQ, TIR 5, Saitek x55 HOTAS.

Search User Files for "herky" for my uploaded missions. My flight sim videos on You Tube. https://www.youtube.com/user/David Herky

• ED Team
I had quite a few extra mission recordings that I could trigger from the mission editor "sound to all/coalition" etc.

That's completely different from changing game files, this is mission triggers - it continues to work as usual.

LockOn FC2 Soundtrack Remastered out NOW everywhere - https://band.link/LockOnFC2.

Hello Dmitry, I can not get my sound files to play as in 2.5.5. I only get the standard DCS American voices?

My paths are;

and

C:\Users\herky\P3dv4\Saved Games\DCS\Sounds\Speech\Sound\ENG\Common\Wingman\1

There must be something I'm not doing?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]i7 Haswell @ 4.6Ghz, Z97p, GTX1080, 32GB DDR3, x3SSD, Win7/64, professional. 32" BenQ, TIR 5, Saitek x55 HOTAS.

Search User Files for "herky" for my uploaded missions. My flight sim videos on You Tube. https://www.youtube.com/user/David Herky

• ED Team

My paths are;

and

C:\Users\herky\P3dv4\Saved Games\DCS\Sounds\Speech\Sound\ENG\Common\Wingman\1

I've already answered this. Your paths are wrong.

The proper paths will be

and

As one example for paths: [note, I tried with 10 other sound files as well]

In saved games I have created folder structures according to the sdef_and_wave_list.txt file for both added sdef and wav files.

Aircrafts/Cockpits/GearLockUp_In.sdef

wave:

Effects/Aircrafts/Cockpits/GearLockUp_In

G:\Users\user name\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Sounds\sdef\Aircrafts\Cockpits/GearLockUp_In.sdef

G:\Users\user name\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Sounds\Effects\Aircrafts\Cockpits/GearLockUp_In.wav

I get no change in the sound.

The confusing thing is I have had success with other sound mods such as, Snare, Flare, Afterburner_In, copying the folder paths as described above.

Edited by fitness88

Thanks I see what's changed. The extra "sound" folder was not needed in 2.5.6. I removed it and have the recorded pilot and wingman waves back.

Cheers.

Thanks I see what's changed. The extra "sound" folder was not needed in 2.5.6. I removed it and have the recorded pilot and wingman waves back.

Cheers.

Are you saying the path is now without \Sounds\ folder:

G:\Users\user name\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Sounds\sdef\Aircrafts\Cockpits/GearLockUp_In.sdef

Now eliminate \Sounds\

G:\Users\user name\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\sdef\Aircrafts\Cockpits/GearLockUp_In.sdef

Could you please include a sample if I now have it wrong.

Additionally: If I am wrong how is it other modded files work with the sounds folder path still in place?

Edited by fitness88

Before the 256 update I had my aircraft music theme replaced by one I liked better.-

After 256, that custom music dissapeared an now I cannot fix it. I tried replacing the "....DCS World\Mods\aircraft\SpitfireLFMkIX\Sounds\EditorMusic\MainMenuLoop.ogg" with my own music, which worked before, but it doesnt work now.

Advices welcome

Thanks

• 5 weeks later...
Expect to see Doc/Sounds/sdef_and_wave_list.txt file in the coming OpenBetas (can't promise it will be in the nearest one).

DCS World:

You get the idea. It lists all the sdefs and waves referenced in the DCS World and its modules.

You can create your own sdef files with the listed names - they will be used by the DCS instead of the stock ones. You can also reference (or replace in your mod) the listed wave files (yes, the names are w/o extensions).

This is great thanks, Just another question, with the latest OB, are the aircraft mod using FC3 disabled to used FC3 avionics, and u can still fly with 25t, but why? i mean its still accessible a mod afterall. But wrong question i guess, should i revert back bcoz i really love some mods along with my MiG-21s, 18/Cs, and 16.

Dav-Pak-BlackSpider

• 1 month later...

How can that be used exactly? What are those "2 buttons"? They are not just "1" and "2" on the keyboard are they? Or are there new entries in control manager for mapping? If so I can't find any.. Could that be explained bit more please?

starting with 2.5.6.49314 you have some tools.

Saved Games/DCS.openbeta/Config/autoexec.cfg:

sound.editor = true

will provide you with 2 buttons:

1) to reload SDEFs. NOTE: existing game objects won't be affected. You need either to respawn (if modding your aircraft) or restart the mission (if modding AI units).

2) to purge wave files (both ogg and wav) - this will flush unused samples from the memory so when they are needed the engine will pick the fresh ones.

Not ideal, but still helps.

Ok now I understand but the problem is I don't have it what you just shown.. I have Open Beta 2.5.6.53756, created autoexec with "sound.editor = true" in saved games but nothing new appears in the main UI screen. What could be causing this?

Just try. You will see this:

• 2 weeks later...

I've created autoexec with sound.editor = true to help with the sound modding.

I still don't get the new locations for the sound mods.

In the past I created new .sdef and .wav files using the exact name of the existing files, I used my mod app to replace the originals in the DCS/Sounds directory all worked fine till the new Sounds.edc directory became encoded. So where exactly do I put the modded file replacement for .sdef and .wav files and what directory structure do I now use?

I've read the sdef_and_wave_list.txt, readme.txt it gives file .sdef and .wav path but not the location and directory structure of the root folder.

What structure are you using?

/Saved Games/DCS.openbeta/Sounds/

Seems to work fine for me.

For example

/Saved Games/DCS.openbeta/Sounds/Speech/ENG/Common/Player/Callsign/Dodge.wav

Will replace that corresponding wav file in core DCS Sounds.

Referring to the new Sounds.edc folder?

[/left]

Referring to the new Sounds.edc folder?

No. You don't replace anything in Sounds.edc folder.

The Sounds directory is still in the DCS core. it's just encoded into Sounds.edc. So putting wav files in Saved Games with correct structure will replace the corresponding sound in "CORE" DCS Sounds.

No. You don't replace anything in Sounds.edc folder.

The Sounds directory is still in the DCS core. it's just encoded into Sounds.edc. So putting wav files in Saved Games with correct structure will replace the corresponding sound in "CORE" DCS Sounds.

I see...thanks I'll give it a try.