Joysticks?

I just bought the dcs a-10. I have a MS Sidewinder joystick. Will that be sufficient to use with this product, or do I need the Thrustmaster Hotas A-10 joystick to use all of this air rafts features? Anyone have the Sidewinder, and does it work well with this product? Really don't have $450 to spend.

I have a MS FF Sidewinder as well as the CH Throttle and Flight stick. With the MS stick you will not have all the buttons that the A-10C stick has, and you will be forced to use the keyboard. You will be doing this anyway if you don't have a throttle with extra buttons as well.

It is up to you if this is worth it. The CH gear is a bit cheaper than the Thrustmaster.

I used to use that exact stick until I got an X52 for about 90 bucks, which isn't as elegant as the Thrustmaster Warthog and requires a little bit of fudging with the layout, but is ultimately not that big a departure.

A basic joystick like the Sidewinder works alright as long as you customize the keyboard layout so that it's easy to manipulate with one hand. I had something based around the standard "W,A,S,D," as the China Hat, and then all the other controls radiating out from that, and it was almost like a de facto HOTAS.

For when it goes wrong: Win10x64, GTX1080, Intel i7 @3.5 GHz, 32GB DDR3, Warthog HOTAS, Saitek combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5 / Vive Pro, a case of Pabst, The Funk

X52 for low budget

TM Hotas A10 for the pro version....it's truely a question on how much you want to spend...so each can make their decision their own.

Cheers

PC: Asus P8Z77-M Mainboard; Intel i5-3570K (4x3,4Ghz) mit Scythe Mugen 3 CPU Kühler; 16Gb Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz; Nvidia GTX570 1280mb; Samsung 830 SSD; Samsung HDD

Flight Sim Gear: TM Warthog; Saitek Pro Pedals; TM Cougars on an 19" screen; TrackIR 5 w/ trackclip pro; Logitech G35 headset

I highly recommend the CH line. Top shelf liquor here. Indestructible. Priced very well. Much less than the warthog, only a little higher than many of the lesser offerings out there. If you have to replace cheap stuff once- you exceed the money for CH easily.

Advantages of the Warthog off top of head:

The throttle is way ahead of CH for realism (obviously), Split control. Every switch present and in it's proper place. (The CH can accommodate virtually everything, but requires some programming) Warthog has a mic switch, FLAPS, APU, ignition, back lit I think. Nice metallic feel, pit builder friendly. LASTE panel. (Very nice to have)

The TM cougar had lots of baggage. There will be those who will defend it to the death- so be it. The warthog has had but a tiny fraction of the complaints the cougar suffered from. Like 2 different worlds. Preprogrammed in DCS A10, so my understanding is that you don;t need Foxy at all for use there. I have not heard a lot of positives about Foxy profiling software. It has to be better than it was by now. I'm not qualified to judge it.

So there's value here- it's not expensive without reason.

CH is all about quality. The components are not going to break shy of you literally abusing the hell out of them. For A10 purposes- the stick is dead on. The throttle is more of a universal design. Not split. Programmable to infinity- it can be used for any aircraft. I'm sure the warthog can as well- but let's face it- it's made for the Hog. This is where Foxy has hopefully been improved- programming other platforms onto the hardware. CH control manager is simply second to none. So on one hand- the CH throttle is lacking a few items, but it's universal design makes it terrific for just about anything.

CH pedals. Indestructible. That's about it. Pedals are a bit too close together, (this issue is slightly more aggravating when you have size 14 feet) and look like the footrests on wheelchairs. Re-defines butt ugly. That said- they are indestructible. I do love mine. Keep in mind that there was nothing even CLOSE to them when I got them in 2005. That's right. 2005. Operate like brand new to this day- just like my Fighterstick and throttle.

1554686780_chprice.jpg.1f524eb5f1924cb3b543258ea3842178.jpg

Edited by S77th-konkussion
  • Like 2

i suggest getting the pedals with it cause you will be needing every button on the joystick it self

unless your gonna use a bunch of modifier keys on it

[sIGPIC]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic90574_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

Australasian Gaming Community

Specs: Intel Quad 2.4GHz -- Geforce GTX 560 Duo -- SSD HDD -- 8Gb Mem -- 23" led -- 17"touch -- Logitech G940 Flight System --JoyLocs-- TIR 5 -- Cougar MFD'S -- Helios -

to me there really is just no substitute for the rudder pedals. not only did they control the nose wheel steering on the ground, but they also accommodate the differential axis toe braking. it adds a whole new dimension of realism and immersion to your experience. the best I can tell you is that when you don't have rudder pedals it's easy to blow them off- but once you have them you'll kick yourself for every day you flew without them. CH does not have rudders built on to the stick or throttle

Coming from a Sidewinder myself i must admit that a twister stick, although unreal, is a very good substitute for pedals. I really liked it (and i still have it but on shelve somewhere) and i still find today that i could fly more precise with the twister as rudder then with actual rudder pedals.

But i gave up the moment M$ decided to not support it anymore (software wise) in WinXP which directly cut the use of the buttons by 50%. Got myself a TM Cougar and after making my own gimbal mod decided to go for something more professional and installed one of IJ's first U2 mods. Been a superb piece of hardware since. Only want to trade for a Warthog if it would die.

As rudder i'm using CH pedals and i can only second the quote below:

CH pedals. Indestructible. That's about it. Pedals are a bit too close together, (this issue is slightly more aggravating when you have size 14 feet) and look like the footrests on wheelchairs. Re-defines butt ugly. That said- they are indestructible.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

One final question, guys. I may have found a bargain on the Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog, but it will still eat up my budget. Therefore, I would not be able to afford rudder pedals at this time. Can you use the default Z and X keys for rudder and steering on the groung, until I can afford rudder pedals? Otherwise, I may have to get the Saitek X52 Pro, as it has the twist feature for rudder control.

One final question, guys. I may have found a bargain on the Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog, but it will still eat up my budget. Therefore, I would not be able to afford rudder pedals at this time. Can you use the default Z and X keys for rudder and steering on the groung, until I can afford rudder pedals? Otherwise, I may have to get the Saitek X52 Pro, as it has the twist feature for rudder control.

If you can float the warthog now...you won't regret it... you could get by using the keyboard with the X & Z for rudder until you get pedals... Go for the warthog and then get the Saitek Combat Pro pedals next!

:thumbup:

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

Sure you can. The keys work just fine. You won't regret the WH :)