Shadows trouble @ nVidia ForceWare 6x.xx - 8x.xx

HUQ

At first, see the two screenshots.

Radeon 9600@Catalyst 5.10:

http://simhuq.sytes.net/LOFC/Shadow_Full/Radeon9600_ScreenShot_001.jpg

Geforce 7800GTX@ForceWare80.40

http://simhuq.sytes.net/LOFC/Shadow_Full/GeForce7800GTX_ScreenShot_001.jpg

On both environments, Options-Graphics-shadow setting is "Full".

In the screenshot with Radeon, the shadow of bridge is drawn on deck, but there is no shadow of bridge in the shot with Geforce.

This difference only occer in the "Full" shadow setting. Radeon draw shadows correctly, but Geforce cannot draw full shadows.

I tried many nVidia cards - GeforceFX5900Ultra, FX5950Ultra, 6800, 6800Ultra, 7800GTX, 7800GTX-SLI, and ATi cards - Radeon 9600, 9800XTPE, X850XTPE.

I found this probrem occer only Geforce cards using the driver ForceWare 6x.xx-8x.xx(I tried many many version between 61.77 and 81.94). No Radeon cards and Catalyst drivers occer this problem.

And ForceWare 5x.xx does not occer this problem, but this driver does not recognise new nVidia Videocard - ex. Geforce 7800GTX, and the SLI of them.

I wish to hear ED's opinion about this problem. Do you think this is LockOn's drawing bug? or the bug of ForceWare 6x.xx-over?

If you can solve this problem on newer ForceWare drivers, I wish to do it.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest ruggbutt

Devs, is there anything that can be done with this? The 7800 series of cards is becoming hugely popular because of dual SLI. Can you get nVidia to fix this?

Guest ruggbutt

Ok, I installed some different drivers. What I'm seeing on a 7800GT with the newest drivers are that with full shadows enabled that they don't work right. In some instances it looks like your plane is always dark, while other a/c look fine. Same with the carrier deck. It seems like an invisible box is around you that makes a shadow. I reverted back to 78.01's and now the full shadows look fine. This is a problem with drivers, no doubt. Additionally, the superstructure on the carrier doesn't like to cast it's own shadow with nVidia cards. It never did. This is also a driver issue as my 9800XT and Cat 5.6's worked great in this manner. Since I fly predominantly LOMAC, I wish now that I'd have bought an ATI card instead of this 7800GT.

Guest ruggbutt

Another bump, I hope the devs get with nVidia to fix this issue. I installed every single 81 series driver last nite. None of them work with full shadows enabled. In some instances they removed the shadows of the airplane on the carrier deck or the tarmac.

I'm not convinced this is only a Nvidia-driver issue.

It could well be a game-bug.

Here's what I posted at the SimHQ forum:

Look at these two screens.

Screen3, Screen4.

Both are taken at the same time while the game is paused. When I look from the player-plane's view (F2) the structure has no shadow, but when I look from the carrier's viewpoint (F9) it does indeed have a shadow.

I discovered this by accident because I crashed into the deck on my previous attempt and the viewpoint changed to the carrier :D

This is with Forceware 81.95 and 6800gt and FC1.11.

I changed from an ATI Radeon 9600 to an Nvidian 6600GT & although I'm happy enough with the frame rates, there are way more graphical errors with the Nvidia card - odd shadows across the landscape, self-cast shadows that are there sometimes & not others at the same settings, heat blur sometimes works & sometimes suddenly starts taking 1100 of whaever units they are on the frame rate analysis display - & since putting in the Nvidai card I also get occasional lockups & freezes in the display (game rendering stops, but action continues. After a few seconds the visuals start, but the keyboard/joystick take a few seconds more than all is well again).

Cheers.