476th vFG, 76th vFS "Battle Book"

Eddie

We at the 476th have decided to release another of our documents to the community, this time it's the 76th vFS Battle Book.

The Battle Book is a quick reference of common weapon deliveries used in the Hog, showing the exact parameters for each delivery on and altitude sled format. Currently common deliveries for MK-82 LDGP and MK-82AIR HDGP are included and other weapon types will be added in time as they are implemented in our attack planning system.

A quick aide memoir describing what each field on the sleds mean is included in the preface.

This may well only be of use to the more advanced amongst you, hopefully it'll give those wanting to improve their combat skills and knowledge a boost.

Any questions and comments are welcome.

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=211

Edited by Eddie
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

Nice one!

How about adding an index of acronyms (the delivery-titles are not really always self-explaining ;) )?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asus ROG STRIX Z390-F Gaming, Intel Core i7 9700k , 32gb Corsair DDR4-3200

Asus RTX 2070 super, Samsung 970 EVO Plus M2, Win10 64bit, Acer XZ321QU (WQHD)

TM HOTAS Warthog, SAITEK Rudder Pedals, TIR 5

Thanks, but I get error when trying to open the file.

Thermaltake View 91, Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra, i9 9900K, Corsair H150i Pro, 32Gb Trident Z 3200, Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 2080ti, Corsair AX1200i, Warthog A-10 Hotas, MFG Crosswind pedals, TiR5 Pro, HP Reverb Pro

Very immediate and clear to me, just one question: all the profile names are referred to DSMS pre-build profiles, isn't it?

I think that those profiles, coupled with the Battle-book in the download, could improve the mean of the book itself for those who want to use it (I'm a Kamov pilot, I won't use it, even if it's really interesting).

(happy new year ;) )

ChromiumDis.png

Author of DSMC, mod to enable scenario persistency and save updated miz file

Stable version & site: https://dsmcfordcs.wordpress.com/

Openbeta: https://github.com/Chromium18/DSMC

The thing is, helicopters are different from planes. An airplane by it's nature wants to fly, and if not interfered with too strongly by unusual events or by a deliberately incompetent pilot, it will fly. A helicopter does not want to fly. It is maintained in the air by a variety of forces in opposition to each other, and if there is any disturbance in this delicate balance the helicopter stops flying; immediately and disastrously.

Very immediate and clear to me, just one question: all the profile names are referred to DSMS pre-build profiles, isn't it?

I think that those profiles, coupled with the Battle-book in the download, could improve the mean of the book itself for those who want to use it (I'm a Kamov pilot, I won't use it, even if it's really interesting).

(happy new year ;) )

The DSMS profiles are built using the parameters from the sled. The name given at the top of the sled is the desired DSMS profile name (using the standard naming convention).

"They've got us surrounded again - those poor bastards!" - Lt. Col. Creighton Abrams

Oh my God, Oh MY GOD!!!!! I've been waiting for something like this for a long time now.... Thank you very much Eddie. Thanks to BlueRidgeX for the work too (if you know what I mean).

God bless and Happy New Year!

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Nice one!

How about adding an index of acronyms (the delivery-titles are not really always self-explaining ;) )?

Check his post:

HADB is High Altitude Dive Bomb, exactly the same as DB just with higher base, track, release and min altitudes. Min Alt for HADB is 4500ft AGL or above, whereas min alt for DB is 1000ft AGL/the ground.

You then have LAHD (low angle high drag), LALD (low angle low drag), HARB (high altitude release bomb) with a 10000ft min alt. Each one of those delivery methods could be called "dive bombing".

A level delivery would be either a Low Altitude Toss (LAT) or a Medium Altitude Toss (MAT). But a LAT/MAT is not necessarily a level delivery.

8230DB6 = 82 slick 30 degrees dive bomb ripple of 6.

LD = Low Level delivery?

HA = High Angle delivery?

HB = High Altitude delivery?

HD = High Drag (AIR)?

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

:thumbup:

TY!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

LD = Low Level delivery?

HA = High Angle delivery?

HB = High Altitude delivery?

HD = High Drag (AIR)?

LD = LALD (Low Angle Low Drag)

HD = LAHD (Low Angle High Drag)

HA = HADB (High Altitude Dive Bomb)

HB = HARB (High Altitude Release Bomb)

And as you stated DB = Dive Bomb.

The DSMS profile naming convention is pretty simple, and the most intuitive way to name your profiles once you become familiar with the terms.

All profile names are 8 characters in length. The first 2 characters are the weapon type, the 3rd is used to denote special parameters such as airburst fusing or a delivery authorised for night use. The 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th characters denote the delivery type (with character 4 & 5 being the dive angle and 6 & 7 the delivery type) and the 8th is the number of weapons to be released.

Weapon names are as follows:

B2 - BDU-33 Sim MK-82LD

BA - BDU-33 Sim MK-82AIR HD

B7 - BDU-33 Sim CBU-87

A_ - MK-82AIR Pilot Option

A1 - MK-82AIR Pilot Option 1

A2 - MK-82AIR Pilot Option 2

AL - MK-82AIR Fixed Low

AH - MK-82AIR Fixed High

82 - MK-82 LDGP

84 - MK-84 LDGP

10 - GBU-10

12 - GBU-12

31 - GBU-31

38 - GBU-38

03 - CBU-103

04 - CBU-104

05 - CBU-105

50 - BDU-50LD

50A - BDU-50HD

50L - BDU-50LGB

65 - AGM-65

WP - M-156 Rocket

HE - M-151 Rocket

TP - WTU-1 Rocket

257 - M-257 Illum Rocket

LU2 - LUU-2 Flares

Delivery Types

VLD - Visual Level Delivery (only characters 4 - 6, no dive angle)

--HD - LAHD

--LD - LALD

--DB - DB

--HA - HADB

--HB - HARB

-05K - LEVEL LAT – 5K FLOOR

-10K - LEVEL MAT – 10K FLOOR

-15K - LEVEL MAT – 15K FLOOR

-20K - LEVEL MAT – 20K FLOOR

• Like 1

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

Great!! TY!!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

LD = LALD (Low Angle Low Drag)

HD = LAHD (Low Angle High Drag)

HA = HADB (High Altitude Dive Bomb)

HB = HARB (High Altitude Release Bomb)

And as you stated DB = Dive Bomb.

The DSMS profile naming convention is pretty simple, and the most intuitive way to name your profiles once you become familiar with the terms.

All profile names are 8 characters in length. The first 2 characters are the weapon type, the 3rd is used to denote special parameters such as airburst fusing or a delivery authorised for night use. The 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th characters denote the delivery type (with character 4 & 5 being the dive angle and 6 & 7 the delivery type) and the 8th is the number of weapons to be released.

Weapon names are as follows:

B2 - BDU-33 Sim MK-82LD

BA - BDU-33 Sim MK-82AIR HD

B7 - BDU-33 Sim CBU-87

A_ - MK-82AIR Pilot Option

A1 - MK-82AIR Pilot Option 1

A2 - MK-82AIR Pilot Option 2

AL - MK-82AIR Fixed Low

AH - MK-82AIR Fixed High

82 - MK-82 LDGP

84 - MK-84 LDGP

10 - GBU-10

12 - GBU-12

31 - GBU-31

38 - GBU-38

03 - CBU-103

04 - CBU-104

05 - CBU-105

50 - BDU-50LD

50A - BDU-50HD

50L - BDU-50LGB

65 - AGM-65

WP - M-156 Rocket

HE - M-151 Rocket

TP - WTU-1 Rocket

257 - M-257 Illum Rocket

LU2 - LUU-2 Flares

Delivery Types

VLD - Visual Level Delivery (only characters 4 - 6, no dive angle)

--HD - LAHD

--LD - LALD

--DB - DB

--HA - HADB

--HB - HARB

-05K - LEVEL LAT – 5K FLOOR

-10K - LEVEL MAT – 10K FLOOR

-15K - LEVEL MAT – 15K FLOOR

-20K - LEVEL MAT – 20K FLOOR

AWESOME!!! Thank you again!!! :thumbup:

Thanks mate. What were your references if you don't mind me asking?

Cheers

[url=http://www.aef-hq.com.au/aef4/forumdisplay.php?262-Digital-Combat-Simulator][SIGPIC]http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/2500/a10161sqnsignitureedite.png[/SIGPIC][/url]

Thanks mate. What were your references if you don't mind me asking?

Cheers

The sleds were produced using DAPS (DCS Attack Planning System), a weapon delivery planner being made for use in the 476th by Noodle (BlueRidgeDX). DAPS calculates delivery parameters using real world weapon data, performing the same calculations to produce the various parameters as the USAF planning tool CWDS.

The other stuff comes either from various real world A-10C & other USAF documentation, and/or the knowledge of those in the 476th who are or have been involved with military aviation. And all of this is done using unclassified information, much of which is out there on the net somewhere if you know where to look/have good Google skills.

Spoiler

I have a question, I'll do my best for you to undestand, (english is not my native languaje):smilewink:

When you plan a mission like pre-planned CAS, you have a lot of time without preparing it in the editor, placing the necessary waypoints to have them like reference for the profile of attack that you want to realize, But when in the mission CAS performs on a JTAC/AFAC, can not plan accurately these profiles or putting waypoints, since you have to obey the information that the JTAC give you.

My question is : How can I plan these profiles in the airplane once you are flying, with the data that the JTAC gives you?, Perhaps using the TAD +markpoints. I mean the base point, the rollin point with the right heading, alt, etc.

Thanks in advance.

You don't need any waypoints in order to perform a weapon delivery. The point of the Battle Book is that it gives a variety of deliveries you can choose from depending on the kind of target(s) and the threat environment in which you operate.

You would configure one or more profiles for the weapons you are carrying and choose the appropriate one for the delivery type you wish to use for the target(s) in question.

The delivery itself is not performed by following waypoints, but by reading the altimeter to ensure you're at the correct base altitude and then by using visual reference points for the roll in etc.

Spoiler

You don't need any waypoints in order to perform a weapon delivery. The point of the Battle Book is that it gives a variety of deliveries you can choose from depending on the kind of target(s) and the threat environment in which you operate.

You would configure one or more profiles for the weapons you are carrying and choose the appropriate one for the delivery type you wish to use for the target(s) in question.

The delivery itself is not performed by following waypoints, but by reading the altimeter to ensure you're at the correct base altitude and then by using visual reference points for the roll in etc.

Thanks eddie, do you mean for reference points, cockpit references ? . I think the most difficult part is know the base pup for the roll in without a reference, How to know you are at 2.1 nm (for example) to begin the roll in if you don't have a markpoint from the target. What is more if you have a TOT for destroy this target(s)

Thanks eddie, do you mean for reference points, cockpit references ? . I think the most difficult part is know the base pup for the roll in without a reference, How to know you are at 2.1 nm (for example) to begin the roll in if you don't have a markpoint from the target. What is more if you have a TOT for destroy this target(s)

You're approaching the point where you start to realize the reasons why being a real fighter pilot isn't as easy as the movies make it seem. It takes a long time, and lots of practice for a pilot to establish and validate the cockpit/canopy references used to determine the proper base position.

Keep in mind that although the sleds in the battle book say "base/pup" distance, the deliveries included are NOT pop-ups, and the number depicted is NOT a pull-up point; it is the base distance for a diving delivery from a box pattern.

To directly answer your question, determining the proper base distance is accomplished by flying at the proper base altitude and noting the vertical position of the target. When sitting at the "design eye" position, various points in the cockpit are located at known angles with respect to the horizon. Comparing the location of the target against these cockpit references provides the feedback necessary to determine whether you are at the proper base distance.

If you're trying to determine the PUP, you would typically use a Steerpoint and the HUD EGI distance.

Visually detecting a target, talking to the FAC/JTAC, managing a wingman, flying the correct delivery, and doing it "on time" is something that takes an actual Air Force officer more than two years to become proficient at.

We have a lot of hurdles to overcome because we only spend an hour or two - without the proper references - and we do it on a tiny monitor with no physiological feedback.

• Like 1

"They've got us surrounded again - those poor bastards!" - Lt. Col. Creighton Abrams