Go on fighting Viggen!

No, because the F-15 that is modeled in lockon is of an older standard than whats flying today. And a lot of that info is classified in how it works.
So how long ago did F-15 get this capability?

i7-2600k@4GHz, 8GB, R9 280X 3GB, SSD, HOTAS WH, Pro Flight Combat Pedals, TIR5

No, because the F-15 that is modeled in lockon is of an older standard than whats flying today. And a lot of that info is classified in how it works.

The F-15 modelled right now is of 'no standard' ;)

I'm pretty certain that ED would like to model this, and if you look at the F-15 avionics thread, you'll see a wonderful pic of the Sperry system posted by SwingKid.

I think it doesn't take a lot imagination or playing too much JF18 to understand how MSI works ...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

So how long ago did F-15 get this capability?

It isn't an F-15 capability per se. It's an AMRAAM capability.

The AMRAAM has a feature called wingman buddy number - if you have F4, you can in fact see this on your SMS page wen you select the 120.

Each wingman selects a different number, to deconflict missile datalink frequencies so that each aircraft can fire its missile without the rest of the aircraft in its flight interfering with the datalink and passing incorrect guidance signals ...

Now, on the other hand, you can receive the datalink info from another fighter, switch your AMRAAM's buddy number to be the same as his, designate the DL target and fire. At this point, the datalink infthat is now received from the AMRAAM comes from the emitting fighter.

I'm /certain/ there are many more interesting modes that this can be used in, but that's the only one I'm aware of.

On the F-15 side, what is required:

AMRAAM compatible radar (ie. capable of multi-channel datalink operation for guiding multiple missiles)

Fighter/AWACS/Datalink (Probably not completely necessary)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

I have seen that pic posted by SwingKid. But you know how ED are GG. They want more info and manuals before they model anything, or so they say. I would not mind if they used a little imagination. Just take your example of JF18. And the NCTR feature is highly classified in how that works aswell so ED took some imagination there aswell I see. Something to do with the radar picking up the signature of the turbine blades and what have you.

Actually, I have some publically available research on NCTR :)

With math and theory and all.

(Disclaimer: I didn't understand most of it)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have seen that pic posted by SwingKid. But you know how ED are GG. They want more info and manuals before they model anything, or so they say. I would not mind if they used a little imagination. Just take your example of JF18. And the NCTR feature is highly classified in how that works aswell so ED took some imagination there aswell I see. Something to do with the radar picking up the signature of the turbine blades and what have you.

I think ED have a good idea how it works.

Why we are NOT getting it right now is:

A) They didn't know before

B) They don't have time to transition the F-15C intot he new 'pit tech

C) Since they have new pit tech they won't be making any big changes to the old stuff.

And, in case you're wondering, Flanker and F-15 will be likely getting updated at the same time when they do get around to it, not separately.

ie. there won't be 'one first, other second'.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

But doesn't the F-15 have FDL (fighter data link) as well. I believe the F-14 have a similar data link aswell that will also allow to to recieve information silently from an E-2 or E-3 like the F-15. It only get modeled for the Su-27/33 on lockon though even though it's the same principle of modeling for both sides independant of how it actually works.

But doesn't the F-15 have FDL (fighter data link) as well. I believe the F-14 have a similar data link aswell that will also allow to to recieve information silently from an E-2 or E-3 like the F-15. It only get modeled for the Su-27/33 on lockon though even though it's the same principle of modeling for both sides independant of how it actually works.

It's more complicated, and I think it's important to model it as faithfully as possible ... the Russian datalink isn't modelled quite right, either, in many ways.

I wouldn't worry about it for the moment, especially since AWACS can now be evaded.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Oh yes the Viggen, I'm sorry. I seemed to have hijacked the thread slightly.

We get that a lot likely, seems like we have a terrorist movement on these threads :p

Why is Sweden the only country that removes the rollerons from their dummy aim-9s, I mean, a couple of ball bearings aren't that expensive to replace once every 150 flight hours?

Creedence Clearwater Revival:worthy:

It´s because alcohol is so expensive in Sweden that you have to shift priorities and find alternative money saving procedures to be able to afford your afterwork-beer.

Sorry for OT!

Cheers:icon_jook

"For aviators like us, the sky is not the limit - it's our home!"

That's because we had laws against exportion of military materiel, still do but not as strict.

Are you sure? They exported older Saab combat aircraft ... from memory to Austria and Switzerland.

I remember seeing the Viggen at Mildenhall years ago ... GREAT display, taxied at really high speed from/to the stand ... I assume they would paint over those big dayglow numbers in war time?

It isn't an F-15 capability per se. It's an AMRAAM capability.

The AMRAAM has a feature called wingman buddy number - if you have F4, you can in fact see this on your SMS page wen you select the 120.

Each wingman selects a different number, to deconflict missile datalink frequencies so that each aircraft can fire its missile without the rest of the aircraft in its flight interfering with the datalink and passing incorrect guidance signals ...

Now, on the other hand, you can receive the datalink info from another fighter, switch your AMRAAM's buddy number to be the same as his, designate the DL target and fire. At this point, the datalink infthat is now received from the AMRAAM comes from the emitting fighter.

I'm /certain/ there are many more interesting modes that this can be used in, but that's the only one I'm aware of.

On the F-15 side, what is required:

AMRAAM compatible radar (ie. capable of multi-channel datalink operation for guiding multiple missiles)

Fighter/AWACS/Datalink (Probably not completely necessary)

Aha, but what I was talking about was that the Gripen aircrafts can share their radar views, what one can see the others can see.

Are you sure? They exported older Saab combat aircraft ... from memory to Austria and Switzerland.
I don't have the complete picture but there was always fuzz about exporting weapons and so on, but I think that the laws only say that we cannont export to countries that are fighting, but obviously the industry don't care about that (US and India to name two fighting contries that have imported swedish weapons).

I remember seeing the Viggen at Mildenhall years ago ... GREAT display, taxied at really high speed from/to the stand ... I assume they would paint over those big dayglow numbers in war time?
Don't know, but I'm not sure that those numbers are very visable at longer ranges anyway.

Crappy quality, but a cool clip showing Viggens STOL capability,

http://membres.lycos.fr/elfiria/video/viggen-landing.wmv

It's one of two aircrafts that carries borth a thrust-reverser and an afterburner. (the other is the Tornado)

I think Aurstria retired their last Draken planes this year.

http://tinyurl.com/anlrk

The link doesn't work :(

I guess everything was wrong with that post ;)

Referer problem with the link, here it is

http://membres.lycos.fr/elfiria/video/

It's probably the only single engine aircraft that carries both thrust reverser and afterburner, and one of two fighters that does.

Thanks... really cool, and the takeoff was even shorer than I'd expected.

What i have read, they modded the Viggen so it could land on short strips as usual roads etc. The JAS 39 Gripen was made from begining with that feature. It uses it's roder infront to make the front wheels get more friction against the ground.

I personaly like the Gripen more, its shape and manuvers aaaaa :icon_supe

And here is one more info thing about the Gripen.

The joystick in the cockpit is very very very sensetiv. You only use ur wrist, not like some other A/C where you can move the joystick 20 cm up 20 down...you get it...This has been proved really good under high G's.

sry for OT (if i was) and my speeling

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

What i have read, they modded the Viggen so it could land on short strips as usual roads etc. The JAS 39 Gripen was made from begining with that feature. It uses it's roder infront to make the front wheels get more friction against the ground.

I personaly like the Gripen more, its shape and manuvers aaaaa :icon_supe

And here is one more info thing about the Gripen.

The joystick in the cockpit is very very very sensetiv. You only use ur wrist, not like some other A/C where you can move the joystick 20 cm up 20 down...you get it...This has been proved really good under high G's.

sry for OT (if i was) and my speeling

Now that i see this, i don't have a clue why i wrote it O_o

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]