F-18 ejection and crash...

Raven68

I got this interesting email from a coworker today...

This actually happened in July 2010

Incredible photos from an accident in Canada ( Lethbridge ). Check out the sequence of the canopy leaving the scene, the pilot in his rocket-powered seat coming out, the parachute opening sequence, and the separated seat falling away. Modern technology at its best. All of this happened in about two seconds from canopy off to the fireball.

attachment.php?attachmentid=75475&d=1357241068

Check out all the smoke from the canopy rocket motors.

attachment.php?attachmentid=75476&d=1357241068

There he goes ! So that's what the striped handle does !

The left engine has the nozzle fully open, showing that #1 engine was developing no power.

attachment.php?attachmentid=75477&d=1357241068

The white thing is the seat-stabilazing drogue chute. Notice the pilot's head pinned to his chest from the severe 'G' forces produced by the solid rocket motors in the ACES II seat. They burn for about 2/10ths of a second . .

enough time to propel him at least 60 feet clear of the aircraft. Hellova ride.

attachment.php?attachmentid=75478&d=1357241068

One millesecond from eternity for a beautiful FA-18.

Check out the now-unoccupied ejection seat following the aircraft to glory.attachment.php?attachmentid=75479&d=1357241068

The moment-of-impact photo shows flame shooting out of the left engine . . its 'last gasp'.

There goes the seat above the fireball.

The pilot will be downing his first of several shots within the hour, soon as his hands stop shaking.

attachment.php?attachmentid=75480&d=1357241068

And the pilot lived happily ever after . . .

f-18crash1.jpg.557c242c0e960b784a1efab6041a450d.jpg

f-18crash2.jpg.2378e188543381711dc4731bac111348.jpg

f-18crash3.jpg.97f15e80ff26d61ead088a1d354d1790.jpg

f-18crash4.jpg.044d30a710f4788ee39f8bb577459a12.jpg

f-18crash5.jpg.cd0deca5b37d1e1486797850cdf2fd69.jpg

f-18crash6.jpg.1e5a17ca521c75a77e7b9b94867f975b.jpg

• Like 1

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

The left engine has the nozzle fully open, showing that #1 engine was developing no power.

It was a fuel control problem (sticky piston) on the right engine, isn't #1 the left? The open nozzle of the left engine indicates that it's either a) at idle or b) at full power/burner which it was in this case as the pilot was executing a high alpha pass at the time.

It was a fuel control problem (sticky piston) on the right engine, isn't #1 the left? The open nozzle of the left engine indicates that it's either a) at idle or b) at full power/burner which it was in this case as the pilot was executing a high alpha pass at the time.

I'm not sure Kaiserb, but I would like to know what that flame coming out of the left engine is indicative of. Is that the result of the raw fuel that was leftover from the shutdown and then igniting from the flames of the crash? Just a thought...

Edited by Raven68

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

Windows 10 Professional

Wow!! Intense shots,Thanks for posting these

I'm glad you enjoyed them!! They are pretty intense. :)

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

Windows 10 Professional

The white thing is the seat-stabilazing drogue chute. Notice the pilot's head pinned to his chest from the severe 'G' forces produced by the solid rocket motors in the ACES II seat....

Hornets do not have the ACES II seat - either SJU-5(early) or SJU-17a "NACES".

I believe the seat in the footage is the latter.

• Like 1

JJ

The pilot was not really at "full power/burner" as a result of flying at high alpha. It was a result of uh... losing half his thrust at about 100 knots. Tends to result in a need for higher power settings than would normally be required for the maneuver being flown.

I would really love to be handed that scenario in a military Hornet simulator. I wonder if a prompt bunt and left rudder input would be enough to accelerate above Vmc. Not worth staying on board at ~300 feet in real life, anyway.

I'm not sure Kaiserb, but I would like to know what that flame coming out of the left engine is indicative of. Is that the result of the raw fuel that was leftover from the shutdown and then igniting from the flames of the crash? Just a thought...

Basically, a non recovering engine stall ( A.K.A. stagnation) as the engine starts swallowing debrief and coming apart.

• Like 1

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

I would really love to be handed that scenario in a military Hornet simulator. I wonder if a prompt bunt and left rudder input would be enough to accelerate above Vmc. Not worth staying on board at ~300 feet in real life, anyway.

I agree it would be nice to try that scenario in the simulator. (ED where is my F-18?! J/K) The pilots reaction time was awesome!

Basically, a non recovering engine stall ( A.K.A. stagnation) as the engine starts swallowing debrief and coming apart.

Thanks for educating me on this. It does make sense now. :thumbup:

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

Windows 10 Professional

"If the aircraft is operating below Vmca when a thrust imbalance occurs, the pilot must either reduce power on the operative engine(s) or increase airspeed by lowering the nose of the aircraft in order to regain directional control. Both of these options will result in a loss of altitude."

and

"The large thrust imbalance between the left and the right engines caused the aircraft to depart controlled flight and the aircraft was unrecoverable within the altitude available."

There was no saving this one. (unless the failure had occurred at a higher altitude.)

Flight safety investigation report for this accident link below:

http://www.rcaf-arc.forces.gc.ca/dfs-dsv/nr-sp/index-eng.asp?id=11159

Lobo's DCS A-10C Normal Checklist & Quick Reference Handbook current version 8D available here:

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/172905/

• 4 weeks later...

I doubt very much a bunt and a stab of rudder would have made any difference at 300 feet and 100 knots. Ultimately you'd just decrease the chances of a safe ejection with less decision time, a downward vector and wings still probably not level.

The time would be better spent making sure your head is erect and against the headrest :doh:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]