NVG Mod

There's only screenshots attached to your post, did you forget to attach the mod itself or is it available elsewhere?

I only posted preview screenshots its not finished yet.

Heres a video of a moonless night... The noise still needs work but should give a decent idea of the changes.

• 2 weeks later...

I worked on NVG systems for a number of years in the USAF, prior to my flying career.

Your mod is close, but as has been mentioned, the color needs more green. And the sides should have a vignette. Binocular night optics still cant give a full like the panoramic NVGs do.

The condition you mentioned (no moonlight/low light) causes noise or scintillation. Also, we often saw a honeycomb like pattern during higher light levels.

Light blooms from cities or non-NVG light sources are another problem.

Looking forward to your future progress.

• Like 1

He's back.

Looks great. I will reiterate what the others have said a bit more green and it will be fantastic.

Great work.

Is it going to be editable as a monocle version too? Like your earlier version (which I still use BTW)

SD

Edited by the_soupdragon

[sIGPIC]sigpic55726_5.gif[/sIGPIC]

The color of the NVGs in the new test images is a place holder while I work on the real major change(s) to the mod.

The two main features of the updated mod are color corrections specific to brightness and the use of LUTs (look up tables).

Being able to sample a photograph and mimic its color palette has long been my goal since I started the mod.

I've to built a system that allows me to sample an image and generate a 2d LUT of which is then used by the NVG system for coloring the image. That way I don't have to fight back room colorists and directors about what green looks correct. I deal with that enough at work :).

The attached image shows the sample on the left, sample generated LUT in the middle, and finally a rough (none of the brightness specific color correction enabled) sample of DCS.

Creating your own personalized NVGs would only require you to generate a LUT image and place it in the NVG mod.

nvg_lut_test_001.thumb.png.cf0dc23f089ae1048b2ead41764242f3.png

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 years later...