NVG Mod

//First things First:

//Before editing these following values for the NVG make sure you have modified your "grafics.cfg" to let this Mod work:

// open (with a proper editor = Notepad++ < make a web-search for it ) this file :

// ...\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Config\graphics.cfg

// edit in line #73 >>> //mode = "USE_PRECOMPILED_EFFECTS_FOR_UNCHANGED_FILES";

// to >>> //mode = "USE_PRECOMPILED_EFFECTS_FOR_UNCHANGED_FILES";

// and in the next line change>>> mode = "USE_PRECOMPILED_EFFECTS_ONLY";

// add the two missing slashes so it looks like this:

// //mode = "USE_PRECOMPILED_EFFECTS_ONLY"

// save it in the same place and overwrite.

And again for clarity sake:

Before:

//mode = "USE_PRECOMPILED_EFFECTS_FOR_UNCHANGED_FILES";

mode = "USE_PRECOMPILED_EFFECTS_ONLY";

After:

mode = "USE_PRECOMPILED_EFFECTS_FOR_UNCHANGED_FILES";

//mode = "USE_PRECOMPILED_EFFECTS_ONLY";

Nrgized nvgmod_1.0v3 with Ka-50.zip

Now the Ka-50 works also with Nrgized NVG Mod.

Sorry I couldn't carry over the periodic static, but I tried hard to be so close as I could to the original OVN-1 Skosok NVG (..and its limitations).

Please read the README - there are some changes and new options.

attachment.php?attachmentid=76295&stc=1&d=1358809183

1680392976_nrgizedNVGMod.thumb.gif.cca8918fc17d5a2aea07fc2c3c047ffc.gif

Edited by PeterP

"Download the attached zip from this post and install files to DCS World."

link points to invalid attachment

Amazing mod. Took a while to get use to the zoom and flipping wrong switches but overall a great improvement.

Edited by almonds

"The art of simulation design is about understanding limited fidelity...

...compromises must be made. Designers have to consider cost vs. fidelity and processor time vs. fidelity. Additional trade-offs must be made between graphics, AI, flight models, number of units and more...

...never ask the pilot what he wants to learn because he too will end up building an airplane. Instead, ask the pilot what he needs to learn."

-Gilman "Chopstick" Louie

I download it yesterday and just want to give you a big applause:thumbup:

Thank you for your work and, for release it for us to enjoy a new level of immersion.

Now I´m able to, at least, imagine the feelings of a warthog driver during night operations.

And I want to ask why ED did not implement such a thing from the first moment?

I don´t know nothing about software coding, but, if one or two persons can give us this mod, why the devs team did not research a little more instead of giving us just a green screen?

Again thanks for your work¡¡¡¡

// The NVG size - "EYE_SIZE"

// In percent of screen size.

//

// Since most monitors are not 1:1 aspect ratio most often you will choose your height was the percent value

// then you take the pixel value of that percentage and divide that by your screen width.

//

// Example: Resolution in DCS World > Options > System > RESOLUTION = 1920x1080

// You want the NVG to be a perfect circle and to be 85% the Height of your Total in-game Resolution.

// To have a perfect circle we need first your aspect-ration by dividing Width with Height.

// It is 1,777777777777778 (= 16/9) for 1920x1080

// now do this calculation: 1,777777777777778 / 0.85% = 0,4781249999999999

// shorten it to four numbers behind the point and you will get your wished value for the round NVG.

// Now your circle will be the same width and height.

// First value is for width second for height:

// const float2 EYE_SIZE = float2(0.>width<f, 0.>height<f)

Thanks PeterP but I think you've made this overly confusing and I can't get your sums to add up.

1.77 / 0.85 = 2.08, not 0.478

or for my 1920*1200 monitor

1.6 / 0.85 = 1.88

nrgized's original calculation makes more sense to me:

// Example: Resolution = 1920x1080
// You want the eye to be 85% the size of 1080. You take 1080*.85=918, now to figure
// out same size width take 918/1920=0.4781.
//
const float2 EYE_SIZE = float2(0.4781f, 0.85f);

So for my 1920*1200 monitor:

1200*.85=1020

1020/1920=0.5312

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen

damn ! See - This happens when you stare all day long at numbers on the screen! :)

It has to be like this to make sense:

0.85% / 1,777777777777778 = 0,4781249999999999

Thanks for the reply - will change it asap.

Thanks PeterP but I think you've made this overly confusing and I can't get your sums to add up.

(...)

nrgized's original calculation makes more sense to me:

// Example: Resolution = 1920x1080
// You want the eye to be 85% the size of 1080. You take 1080*.85=918, now to figure
// out same size width take 918/1920=0.4781.
//
const float2 EYE_SIZE = float2(0.4781f, 0.85f);

So for my 1920*1200 monitor:

1200*.85=1020

1020/1920=0.5312

Yes, Doveman you are maybe right.

But I wrote this instruction exactly like this - so it is fail-save for people that run two or more monitors and maybe have portions of the DCS-render not visible...

I wanted to prevent right from the beginning that people start to think about "monitors" - It's all about the in-game res.

Regardless which view-ports you are running.

When you only concentrate on you in-game res and not starting to count monitors together...

You can't have a wrong calculation in the end. (...well , unless the instruction writer doesn't mess it up ;))

Edited by PeterP

Cool, I was worried I was just being dumb but I just couldn't get it to add up after several tries and checking my calculations.

I expect you're right about making it easy for people with multiple monitors. I have two but only run DCSW on one, with the other used for manuals at the moment and sometimes for Helios. So will I need to use the res of the combined monitors (3840x1200) or is that only necessary when actually running the cockpit across multiple monitors?

I'd still say this bit is confusing though:

const float2 EYE_SIZE = float2(0.>width<f, 0.>height<f)

as our calculation gives us 0.4781 but we don't then enter 0.>width<f as that would give 0.0.4781f which is obviously wrong. For height using 85% and 0.>height<f could be misunderstood to mean 0.85%f but perhaps it would be easier to say "to get the height value, take the height percentage and divide by 100, so 85% = 0.85" and then give the template as

const float2 EYE_SIZE = float2(>width<f, >height<f)

even then it's not ideal as it could be taken to mean we should use (>0.4781<f, >0.85<f) but hopefully the example will make it obvious that this is wrong (and I can't think of a way to change it to eliminate this risk at the moment!)

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen

Doveman,

I know this sounds harsh now , sorry , I can't help it how to tell it in another way.

(means: please read folowing while you have a smile on your face).

This instruction is made for people that can hold in a sec and think what they have learned in the 5th grade.

I hope you can this too. and re-think what I have wrote .

I wrote:

Example: Resolution in DCS World > Options > System > RESOLUTION = 1920x1080

// You want the NVG to be a perfect circle and to be 85% the Height of your Total in-game Resolution.

And total in game res is not saying something about "Oh! - and when you have some other screens lying/standing around - just count them in by your liking.. "- or something like this.

:)

Please see this post as reverence: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=1655019#post1655019

the brackets ">put something in<" are place-holder. and I want you to put a decimal in --- does this look like a decimal > = 0.0.1111 ? ...no - this looks strange! ...a decimal has only one zero before the point.

UN-serious:

Should I really put a Amazon link to a book about algebra fundamentals in it?!

;)

Edited by PeterP

Doveman,

I know this sounds harsh now , sorry , I can't help it how to tell it in another way.

This instruction is made for people that can hold in a sec and think what they have learned in the 5th grade.

I hope you can this too. and re-think what I have wrote .

I wrote:

And total in game res is not saying something about "Oh! - and when you have some other screens lying/standing around - just count them in by your liking.. "- or something like this.

:)

Nothing to do with maths, just was confused about which resolution to use for my calculations but I get it now.

the brackets ">put something in<" are place-holder. and I want you to put a decimal in --- does this look like a decimal > = 0.0.1111 ? ...no - this looks strange! ...a decimal has only one zero before the point.

Nonetheless the template is inconsistent for the two values and shouldn't show "0.>width<" when what needs to be entered is just ">width<"

UN-serious:

Should I really put a Amazon link to a book about algebra fundamentals in it?!

;)

Don't bother, I wouldn't understand it anyway :) :P

Im finally satisfied after a few more tweaks :thumbup: This is by far one of the best mods made for DCS

I believe I nailed the "correct" colour for the NVG, also I made the circle a little bit bigger and the frame a little bit more narrow. Dont like looking through a straw :D

attachment.php?attachmentid=76303&stc=1&d=1358823240

nvd.rar

Screen_130122_031628.thumb.jpg.bd6262992dde1f144f1fc32019cafd71.jpg

Edited by Chazz_BMF

:pilotfly:Wolfpack Production:pilotfly:

-=<[WiN 10, I7 3770K @ 4,5 Ghz, Corsair H100i, Sabertooth Z77, 16 GB Dominator, Sapphire 7970 VaporX 6GB, C70 Vengance, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro rudder, Track IR, Beyerdynamics MMX 300 ]>=-

DCS/FC2/FC3/Arma videos on my channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/WolfpackproductionDK

"Fortes Furtuna Juvat"

I like it chazz!

So I've merged the color changes from chazz now on to the the 50.

Can someone give me a photo/video of the real thing, doing the moving random static band is possible and once I have that I'll merge the 50 in for a final publish.

Try this:

technique FinalPass{

pass P0

{

VertexShader = compile vs_3_0 vsMain();

PixelShader = compile ps_3_0 psNVG(); // Changed for custom NVGs, revert to psMain() for default.

}

To:

technique FinalPass{

pass P0

{

VertexShader = compile vs_3_0 vsMain();

PixelShader = compile ps_3_0 psMain_alternative();

}

}

And the Ka-50 NVG is also active in the A-10C - I hope this works, I can't test now.

Well, changing the colours seems to be broken now in 1.2.2 for the shark and I have great doubt if this Gray-scale image representing RL behaviour.

This looks to me that a Dev tried something out and they let it slip in in to the 1.2.2 update. - because the original OVN-1 has a whitish-green image, similar to my edit.

EDIT:

OVN-1 (?) NVG after 1.2.2 update Ka -50 NVG

OVN-1 NVG pre-1.2.2 of the Ka-50:

Edited by PeterP

Hi Peter,

Thanks I had seen how to enable it, I was refering to any real life images of the NVGs for the Ka-50 though :)

BTW I've also setup the code so you guys and tweak it with suggetions easier and you dont have to go defining your own stuff.

Should post an update later today.

And again for clarity sake:

Before:

//mode = "USE_PRECOMPILED_EFFECTS_FOR_UNCHANGED_FILES";

mode = "USE_PRECOMPILED_EFFECTS_ONLY";

After:

mode = "USE_PRECOMPILED_EFFECTS_FOR_UNCHANGED_FILES";

//mode = "USE_PRECOMPILED_EFFECTS_ONLY";

THANK YOU VERY MUCH BUDDY

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]W10(64bit)Asus Rog Strix Z370-F - i7 8700K - Dark Rock Pro 4 - 16 giga ram Corsair vengeance 3000 - MSI RTX 2070 Super - Asus Rog Phobeus soundcard - Z906 Surround speaker - Track ir5 - HOTAS Warthog

:pilotfly:Wolfpack Production:pilotfly:

-=<[WiN 10, I7 3770K @ 4,5 Ghz, Corsair H100i, Sabertooth Z77, 16 GB Dominator, Sapphire 7970 VaporX 6GB, C70 Vengance, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro rudder, Track IR, Beyerdynamics MMX 300 ]>=-

DCS/FC2/FC3/Arma videos on my channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/WolfpackproductionDK

"Fortes Furtuna Juvat"

Here is what will come in the next beta later today.

Color tweaks and size suggestions from this thread.

The next version has an added color correction that adds a slight lift to the image as you increase sensitivity. This will lesson the crunch and contrast of the image. Its artistic license in that on no moon lit nights you have crunch and on them you don't. Since the mod doesn't know the state of the moon it makes a half way compromise. It is an option and you can turn it off if you so desire.

(code) A-10 and Ka-50 are built into the same functions so others can edit the settings without having to hack the thing apart.

Blur is reduced on super brights so they dont look all up in your face.

Attached are some images of what the output for the A-10 will look like in the build.

Suggestions comments if you have any pls.

Cheers

nvg_mod_beta_test_high.thumb.jpg.03a7b6d3cb3414d0226021ad82d6f2f6.jpg

nvg_mod_beta_test_med.thumb.jpg.ece35cd2a45cdc99b02ae1858bd742b2.jpg

nvg_mod_beta_test_low.thumb.jpg.cbf2f6783ff09633f0bf7c63e01de155.jpg

nvg_mod_beta_test_high_b.thumb.jpg.64aa999ffc655ccaa782ecdc68896200.jpg

nvg_mod_beta_test_med_b.thumb.jpg.e024eebae1b4f6209b63de59e03aa5b4.jpg

Edited by nrgized
  • Like 1

Attached to this post is the first pass at 1.0v4 beta 1. It includes all my previously mentioned items in the post above. It also includes the Ka-50 supplied by others in this thread but be aware its likely to change as I just got the supplied mods in and didn't touch them other then to make them work.

If you do not like the color lifting that is applied as you gain your NVGs up, set the var NVG_COLOR_LIFT to 0 for the appropriate aircraft. I left the Ka-50 at 0 for the time being. The effect is subtle as its only a 0.175 life and is weighted. None the less you know where to go to turn it off.

Editing the Ka-50 for those that plan to... It should be pretty straight forward where you go to do your business when you look at the file. Vars that are shared between aircraft are in ordered arrays with the A-10 as index 0 and the Ka-50 at index 1. Any questions please ask.

Screenshots in the post above this one are pretty accurate to this release as I didn't make many visual changes since those were taken.

Cheers

*edit*

Thanks Chazz!

nvg_mod_1.0v4b1.zip

• Like 1

Thanks a lot nrgized and PeterP. This mod is fantastic. The best I've tried so far.

Yesterday night I tried a canyon flight and aerial refueling and both went smooth and gave me a very high sense of immersion. It is a bit claustrophobic, but I guess that's how it is in reality with 38° field of view.

Thanks Chazz, this information allows for the calculation of the correct EYE_SIZE for the OVN-1. Take the 38° and divide by your normal field of view (zoom neutral) and multiply by the aspect ratio of your main view port. This will be the correct value for the height in EYE_SIZE.

Now we just need these field of view values for the main view port. Who knows which .lua file contains them?

EDIT: I think I have found the answer in this thread: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=68026

c:\......\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Config\view\view.lua contains the line

CameraViewAngleLimits[A_10C] = {20.0, 120.0}

The average of this (70° in this case) is the value with your zoom slider centered.

Snapviews.lua contains

Snap[11][13]["viewAngle"] = 83.0

which is the value the sim zooms out to after mission start.

So I will take the average view angle for my EYE_SIZE calculation and set the Snapviews.lua value equal to the average to finally get rid of the zooming at mission start :thumbup:

Edited by PhoenixBvo

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• CPU i7 4970k @ 4.7 GHz
  • RAM 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1600
  • ATX ASUS Z97-PRO
  • DSU Samsung 850 PRO 256GB SSD for Win10, Plextor M6e 128GB SSD for DCS exclusively, RAID-1 HDDs
  • GFX Aorus GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Xtreme Edition, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q, 27" with G-Sync, Oculus Rift CV1

• HID TM HOTAS Warthog + 10 cm extension, MFG Crosswind pedals, TrackIR 5, Obutto oZone

My TM Warthog Profile + Chart, F-15C EM Diagram Generator

Hi people,

Is it possible to run this mod in 21:9 display resolution 2560x1080?

If so could you possibly post a how to setup guide?

Cheers

AUSSIEM8_SIG.jpg

Windows 7 x64, i7-3770k OC 4.4GHz with Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler ,ASRock Z68 Fatal1ty Pro Gen 3

G.Skill Ripjaws 16gig DDR3,, Gigabyte HD7970 GHz Egition 3GB, HOTAS

Warthog,Saitek Combat Pedals and TrackIr 5

Using Deadman's Covers and Metalnwood's extension.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi people,

Is it possible to run this mod in 21:9 display resolution 2560x1080?

If so could you possibly post a how to setup guide?

Cheers

Have you read post #12?

PeterP did his best to explain how to adapt the mod to your resolution. He also clarified parts in later posts. All the info you require should actually be in this thread.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• CPU i7 4970k @ 4.7 GHz
  • RAM 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1600
  • ATX ASUS Z97-PRO
  • DSU Samsung 850 PRO 256GB SSD for Win10, Plextor M6e 128GB SSD for DCS exclusively, RAID-1 HDDs
  • GFX Aorus GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Xtreme Edition, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q, 27" with G-Sync, Oculus Rift CV1

• HID TM HOTAS Warthog + 10 cm extension, MFG Crosswind pedals, TrackIR 5, Obutto oZone

My TM Warthog Profile + Chart, F-15C EM Diagram Generator

Have you read post #12?

PeterP did his best to explain how to adapt the mod to your resolution. He also clarified parts in later posts. All the info you require should actually be in this thread.

Cheers PhoenixBvo

I'll check it out.

AUSSIEM8_SIG.jpg

Windows 7 x64, i7-3770k OC 4.4GHz with Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler ,ASRock Z68 Fatal1ty Pro Gen 3

G.Skill Ripjaws 16gig DDR3,, Gigabyte HD7970 GHz Egition 3GB, HOTAS

Warthog,Saitek Combat Pedals and TrackIr 5

Using Deadman's Covers and Metalnwood's extension.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

nrgized,

I edited the OVN-1 Ka-50 Nvg of your new version, so it will be like the pre-DCS-world 1.2.2 state.

And I also found a good ration of 1.3 - so users have to change the grain only once and it's affecting both nvgs.

I highly recommend this values for the Ka-50 in for your 'final' version.

Have a look at it .

I orientated mainly on the old OVN-1 NVG appearance that was used in BS2- I couldn't relay on RL pictures as as there is nearly none/zero usable documentation about the OVN-1 found in the web.

// Color to use for NVGs.

const float2x3 COLORIZE_COLOR =

{

{0.65f, 1.00f, 0.35f}, // A-10C

{0.2f, 0.46f, 0.22f} // KA-50

(...)

//***********

// The KA-50 effect here.

//***********

float L = pow(dot(rgb, LUM), 1.0);

float L2 = (0.08 * (L * magn + (blur.a * blurM) * 0.2));

float3 temp = tex2D(sDiffuseMap, uv).rgb;

float3 result = colorize(

float3(L2, (0.05 * (L * magn + (blur.a * blurM) * 0.6)), L2),

float3(COLORIZE_COLOR[NVG_KA50])

);

float3 lens_noise_uv = float3(uv * float2(widthTX / 135.0, heightTX / 110.0), frac((time * 10.0) / 64.0));

float lens_noise = lerp((NOISE_MIN[NVG_A10] * 1.3) * (1 - pow(magn / 198.22f, 1.1f)), (NOISE_MAX[NVG_A10] * 1.3), tex3D(sNoise, lens_noise_uv).r);

lens_noise = lerp(lens_noise, 1.0f, L2); //(0.5 * (L * magn + (blur.a * blurM))));

result *= lens_noise;

return result;

}

BTW: I'm very happy with the Anvis-9 appearance !
Edited by PeterP