NVG Mod

as there is nearly none/zero usable documentation about the OVN-1 found in the web.

PeterP, have you seen Chazz_BMF's post? I thought it does contain some quite useful info on the OVN-1.

The field of view value e.g. may be used with the main viewport view angle (at normal zoom) to calculate the correct EYE_SIZE values to simulate the OVN-1.

I have also created a little guide to calculate the correct values using the goggle field of view:

dcsmonitorsetup.png

DCS_monitor_setup.pdf

Edited by PhoenixBvo

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• CPU i7 4970k @ 4.7 GHz
  • RAM 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1600
  • ATX ASUS Z97-PRO
  • DSU Samsung 850 PRO 256GB SSD for Win10, Plextor M6e 128GB SSD for DCS exclusively, RAID-1 HDDs
  • GFX Aorus GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Xtreme Edition, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q, 27" with G-Sync, Oculus Rift CV1

• HID TM HOTAS Warthog + 10 cm extension, MFG Crosswind pedals, TrackIR 5, Obutto oZone

My TM Warthog Profile + Chart, F-15C EM Diagram Generator

Great mod :)

I've encountered a little issue, the RENDER_MODE = 1 will not work if the middle of your main viewpoirt is not the middle of your diplay area.

I use a 1920x1080 (main viewport) + 1680x1050(MFDs) monitors, with total resolution of 3600x1080. In my case the NVG render was shifted to the right (the ring was drawn at correct position/size, but the content of the ring was not taken from the area the ring occupies)

I rooted the problem to lines 454 and 503, in which the scale area is defined. Changing the 0.5f in width portion to actual center of my viewport (0.27f) fixed the problem.

Hey winz,

Could you please do me a favor and post me 2 images?

IMG A: Just a screenshot from DCS of the problem.

IMG B: Same image as A but with an overlay defining which parts are from each monitor.

Which monitor is which shouldn't matter when its all 0-1 based so I'm a bit confused.

Thanks

Hi boys

i'm very impressive to see the SUPER EVOLUTION of my basic modification of DCS NVG, i'm very happy. Now I try the new mod as soon as possible and say you my impression for optimize and make the mod more real as possible.

Thank you man, thx a lots for your hard works

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi,

Nice to hear from you!

Please also try this version that is attached - it has my changes to the OVN-1 in it.

I read somewhere that you used them too.

I will pm you my skype ID - so we can maybe short-cut long-winded written explanations what has to be changed.

Edit: Sorry - loaded up the wrong file ! The OVN-1 was too dark.

Now the right one is attached.

Edited by PeterP

Hey winz,

Could you please do me a favor and post me 2 images?

IMG A: Just a screenshot from DCS of the problem.

IMG B: Same image as A but with an overlay defining which parts are from each monitor.

Which monitor is which shouldn't matter when its all 0-1 based so I'm a bit confused.

Thanks

Ofc

Here is the problem. 1920 is main monitor and main viewport, 1680 is second monitor.

attachment.php?attachmentid=76366&stc=1&d=1358971173

(the second arrow is wrong, should be 1680, hastly editing :) )

As you can see, the content of the NVG is shifted to the right, this occurs only in RENDER_MODE 1.

EYE_CENTER = float2(0.27f, 0.63f); - which should be 920px on the X axis.

EYE_SIZE = float2(0.255f, 0.85f);

Screen_130123_204945.thumb.jpg.4c58cc4c390ed321a5a250533fce16fe.jpg

Does this mod work in fullscreen mode or is it Windowed mode as before?

And is it posssible to make a binocular mod for daytime?

138th.Jack

Are you speaking of another version of this mod or another mod entirely? Since I first started this mod its always been fullscreen/windowed supported. Sorry I don't really understand what you are referring to.

@Winz

Thanks for the pic!

Are you speaking of another version of this mod or another mod entirely? Since I first started this mod its always been fullscreen/windowed supported. Sorry I don't really understand what you are referring to.

@Winz

Thanks for the pic!

PeterP's MOD: http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1312229&postcount=84

But I see he refers to this mod now.

138th.Jack

Small bug detected when you turn the brightness all the way down, the NVG goes blank!!!

attachment.php?attachmentid=76369&d=1358981537

Screen_130123_233715.thumb.jpg.5243e71aaab5983f726719c28b15adb1.jpg

Edited by Chazz_BMF

:pilotfly:Wolfpack Production:pilotfly:

-=<[WiN 10, I7 3770K @ 4,5 Ghz, Corsair H100i, Sabertooth Z77, 16 GB Dominator, Sapphire 7970 VaporX 6GB, C70 Vengance, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro rudder, Track IR, Beyerdynamics MMX 300 ]>=-

DCS/FC2/FC3/Arma videos on my channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/WolfpackproductionDK

"Fortes Furtuna Juvat"

You can still see the IR pointer from the TGP and from ground units outside the border of the sight, and even when it's set to OFF like in the image Chazz posted. IIRC the beam shows up red.

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

I took the liberty and did that as a creative license... Sorta like turning them off.

If enough dont like it I can remove the feature.

Cheers!

Please remove it.

Reducing the gain will make them go black.

An there is already a key-command to turn them off/moving them up.

The question should be: Is it realistic ? - and not: Is it nice nice to have ?

Hi everybody.

Yesterday night i tested a little bit your great nvg mod. i edit the file and i try to make the nvg more real as possible.

just for information (only for get real, i kwon that it's possible disable this features):

the nvg tube dont have any distortion at border

the anvs-9 dont "zoom" the vision of the pilot

and dont have any kind of noise. When you fly in a moon night or a place where are a lots of artificial light, you dont see noise, you see a perfect and sharpen image. The noise of the anvs-9 is visible when you fly in a place very very dark and without the moon light, like over the sea or in the desert. In this case the NVG push at the limits the ANVS-9 Tube to have the max gain, and the pilot see inside the tube a lots of stars (white "active" grain). In the MOD the grain in the tube is like an old photo grain, and this feature is not correct; i think that is more real if possible to disable via editing the NVD file.

For information, the real anvs-9 dont have the manual gain like DCS A-10, but it's an autogain device.

Watch this ARMA2 video at 1:30, it's exactly like the real NVG.

Thx everybody that work to this excellent mod.

PS: tonight i perform an NVG flight. I hope to catch a photo for explane you what kind of noise i see you when i fly in extreme low light condition.

Bye bye

Edited by giaco1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I must agree regarding the noise. The more light, the sharper the image. However I really like the zoom feature. Even though it isnt how you percept it in RL, it gives a virtual sence of wearing something in front of your eyes. And could be a way of giving a better sence of a narrow FOV. I know a RL Viper pilot and he said they never use nvg's during refuel because of the limited FOV (even when all external lights on the tanker is off).

Anyways here are some specs and price for the ANVIS-9

http://www.nightvisionweb.com/clearance/anvis-9-dual-tube-nvgs.html

Edited by Chazz_BMF

:pilotfly:Wolfpack Production:pilotfly:

-=<[WiN 10, I7 3770K @ 4,5 Ghz, Corsair H100i, Sabertooth Z77, 16 GB Dominator, Sapphire 7970 VaporX 6GB, C70 Vengance, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro rudder, Track IR, Beyerdynamics MMX 300 ]>=-

DCS/FC2/FC3/Arma videos on my channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/WolfpackproductionDK

"Fortes Furtuna Juvat"

Hi everybody.

Yesterday night i tested a little bit your great nvg mod. i edit the file and i try to make the nvg more real as possible.

just for information (only for get real, i kwon that it's possible disable this features):

the nvg tube dont have any distortion at border

the anvs-9 dont "zoom" the vision of the pilot

and dont have any kind of noise. When you fly in a moon night or a place where are a lots of artificial light, you dont see noise, you see a perfect and sharpen image. The noise of the anvs-9 is visible when you fly in a place very very dark and without the moon light, like over the sea or in the desert. In this case the NVG push at the limits the ANVS-9 Tube to have the max gain, and the pilot see inside the tube a lots of stars (white "active" grain). In the MOD the grain in the tube is like an old photo grain, and this feature is not correct; i think that is more real if possible to disable via editing the NVD file.

For information, the real anvs-9 dont have the manual gain like DCS A-10, but it's an autogain device.

Watch this ARMA2 video at 1:30, it's exactly like the real NVG.

Thx everybody that work to this excellent mod.

PS: tonight i perform an NVG flight. I hope to catch a photo for explane you what kind of noise i see you when i fly in extreme low light condition.

Bye bye

I thought the zoom is used (in-sim) to replicate the difference of eye and NVG posit.

That said, I have no idea how does it look like IRL so would you give us an extra input on that too?

And the focus range that has been mentioned by PeterP if you dont mind?

(Does HUD or cockpit get blur when the focus is on the outside of the cockpit?)

*add

For those having issue with IR laser, mask area of IR laser is defined by focus.png

Edited by verana_ss

I thought the zoom is used (in-sim) to replicate the difference of eye and NVG posit.

That said, I have no idea how does it look like IRL so would you give us an extra input on that too?

And the focus range that has been mentioned by PeterP if you dont mind?

(Does HUD or cockpit get blur when the focus is on the outside of the cockpit?)

*add

For those having issue with IR laser, mask area of IR laser is defined by focus.png

Ciao,

tonight i cancelled the NVG flight for Bad Weather, but i cacht my NVG at home for some test and well:

- the tube have a little little little ZOOM (oh dam! it's the first time that i see this effect after 8 years of NVG flights).

- the NOISE in high light condition is impercettibile

- for the FOCUS: the cockpit is slight blurry and the hud is on focus because the HUD is Fix to infinity.

Very soon i update a photo of my anvs-9 inside the cockpit for showyou the blur of instrument.

Bye Bye

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

New version added to the first post of this thread.

One notable new thing in the mod is all user modifiable vars are located in a new file nvg_mod.hlsl. Please update your values their for custom modifications.

verison 1.0v4b2:

* Fixed a bug that use incorrect translations coords in RENDER_MODE=1 for users of multi-display

setups.

* Fixed a bug that rendered the IR laser outside the NVG area. Also made it so that the IR laser no

longer uses a texture file to define the NVG area mask. Just like the NVG area the IR laser uses

a on the fly generated mask.

* Reverted the feature that when the NVG gain was set to 0 the NVG area would render like binoculars

instead of drawing black.

Responding to the last couple of posts in this thread...

Noise:

First to do a proper no noise mod would require access to DCS source. This is because I'm only able to modify the shaders that are called. I cant add new ones or even multiple passes (which is a bummer because if the game code followed the general idea of how you read a hlsl fx file it should support it :/).

A mod that had lots of noise in low light and no noise in high ambient light would require a simple find the average lum of the scene and apply noise filter accordingly. Because of the issue just stated not possible. Well its possible but I'd have to do the calculation for each and every pixel rendered over and over again and that would just kill the fps of the mod.

Zooming and Distortion:

Dealing with lens distortion is an every day fact in my line of work. Is the lens distorting correct? No. Is it even close. No. Its not even really lens distortion as its only happening on the edges. Merely more of a creative license in this mod and since its an option I don't see much of an issue with it. Although adding correct lens distortion could be made into an option provided someone game me a lens grid chart.

Zooming is real but the issue is how much should it do. Again its current value is guess and used as creative license. If others would like to provide a more realistic zoom level I'd be happy to incorporate its value as the default.

New version added to the first post of this thread.

One notable new thing in the mod is all user modifiable vars are located in a new file nvg_mod.hlsl. Please update your values their for custom modifications.

Responding to the last couple of posts in this thread...

Noise:

First to do a proper no noise mod would require access to DCS source. This is because I'm only able to modify the shaders that are called. I cant add new ones or even multiple passes (which is a bummer because if the game code followed the general idea of how you read a hlsl fx file it should support it :/).

A mod that had lots of noise in low light and no noise in high ambient light would require a simple find the average lum of the scene and apply noise filter accordingly. Because of the issue just stated not possible. Well its possible but I'd have to do the calculation for each and every pixel rendered over and over again and that would just kill the fps of the mod.

Zooming and Distortion:

Dealing with lens distortion is an every day fact in my line of work. Is the lens distorting correct? No. Is it even close. No. Its not even really lens distortion as its only happening on the edges. Merely more of a creative license in this mod and since its an option I don't see much of an issue with it. Although adding correct lens distortion could be made into an option provided someone game me a lens grid chart.

Zooming is real but the issue is how much should it do. Again its current value is guess and used as creative license. If others would like to provide a more realistic zoom level I'd be happy to incorporate its value as the default.

hi nrgized can i contact you via skype for some fix!?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 weeks later...
* Fixed a bug that rendered the IR laser outside the NVG area. Also made it so that the IR laser no

longer uses a texture file to define the NVG area mask. Just like the NVG area the IR laser uses

a on the fly generated mask.

With my setup this new mask has the wrong shape.

I'm using the latest version (1.0v4b2) of the NVG mod with the following monitor setup:

in-game resolution: 4480x1080

main viewport: 1920x1080

I'm also using SoftTH and full screen in DCS.

The mask for the IR pointer cuts the beam within the NVG goggle:

softthdcsexe20130212092.jpg

I also blended some screenshots with photoshop to find the mask shape:

irmask.png

My NVG mod files are attached to this post.

EDIT:

I have also tried going back to the focus.png mask by setting line 60 in laserbeam.hlsl to

pixelshader ps_lb_0 = compile ps_3_0 psStandart_LB(); // Changed for custom NVGs, revert to psStandart_LB() for default.

and of course creating the correct mask for my setup, but this didn't change anything to the rendering of the beam.

nvg_mod_1.0v4b2_PhoenixBvo.zip

Edited by PhoenixBvo

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• CPU i7 4970k @ 4.7 GHz
  • ATX ASUS Z97-PRO
  • DSU Samsung 850 PRO 256GB SSD for Win10, Plextor M6e 128GB SSD for DCS exclusively, RAID-1 HDDs
  • GFX Aorus GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Xtreme Edition, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q, 27" with G-Sync, Oculus Rift CV1

• HID TM HOTAS Warthog + 10 cm extension, MFG Crosswind pedals, TrackIR 5, Obutto oZone

I have found the solution to this problem. It should be similar for everyone using a multimonitor setup.

The mask for the laserbeam needs the main viewport size instead of the game resolution.

For example, I use 4480x1080 as my game resolution. Part of it contains the viewport for my main monitor and part is used for the MFCDs. The viewport has 1920x1080.

My EYE_SIZE has the value float2(0.24107f, 1.0f). This derives from the game resolution and my NVG radius of 1 x the screen height. For the mask we need 1080/1920 * 1, because it relates to the viewport resolution. So I defined a variable MASK_SIZE with the value float2(0.5625f, 1.0f) in nvg_mod.hlsl. In the laserbeam.hlsl I changed line 37 to:

float mask = maskNVGEye(UV, EYE_CENTER, MASK_SIZE, float2(1.0f, 1.0f)).g;

The files are attached to this post.

EDIT: Just for your reference, here is my explanation for EYE_SIZE calculation once more. In terms of those variables: MASK_SIZE = float2({Gh/Av}f, {Gh}f)...

dcsmonitorsetup.png

nvg_mod_1.0v4b3_PhoenixBvo_fixed_mask.zip

Edited by PhoenixBvo

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• CPU i7 4970k @ 4.7 GHz
  • ATX ASUS Z97-PRO