Changing from MIg29 to flying F15c, some questions

• I cannot get my 9M or 120B missiles to fire when I have a lock, my cannon fires all the time and I've trying toggling the cannon off 'C'. What is the correct procedure to get the missiles to fire?

• I'm a bit confused with regards to the NAV in the F15. With regards to the cycling of Wp and airfields, is there a glitch in it or does it work properly?

Thank you

1- I think the key is alt+space ,I'm not sure.But you have to press the key for more than a second to launch a missile.

2-WP cycling works well to me(The HSI steeers correctly towards the next waypoint and gives you distance indication), airfields cycling I cannot tell as I have not checked it properly.

• I cannot get my 9M or 120B missiles to fire when I have a lock, my cannon fires all the time and I've trying toggling the cannon off 'C'. What is the correct procedure to get the missiles to fire?

For mig-29 or F-15C(I don't fly F-15C but am sure it works same for Mig-29), you have to hold down spacebar for few seconds or if you are using a joystick, then hold down the fire trigger for couple seconds and the missile should launch.

• Like 1

|Windows 8 64bit|I7-950| |X58Mobo| |1T HDD| |18gigs PC3-16000 TC 2000mhz||Nvidia GTX 660 Ti Graphics||Cougar HOTAS-CHPedals/TIR5ProClip|

Thank you all. Yes the R-alt+Space fires missiles and the Space fires the cannon. The 'C' key enables the cannon but I cannot disable the cannon by pressing 'C' again and so it will always fire the moment I press the trigger until I'm out of cannon shells. Shouldn't toggling the 'C' key a second time dis-able the ability to fire the cannon? If not how do I put the cannon on weapons safe?

Thank you again.

C will bring the hud into cannon mode, but you have to use the appropriate number key if you want to go back into aiming missile mode.

It seems as mentioned, that once in any combat mode the cannon and missiles will be active to fire with seperate keys, unless you switch back to flying in NAV mode.

Also, in the F-15 is it possible to toggle on and off the mirrors as in the Russian planes. Even with the mirror option disabled, mirrors still appear.

Thank you

Edited by fitness88

NAV difficult in F15

How do you co-ordinate [knowing what is where] the list of airfields in the screen pop-up menu with the NAV info you see on the HUD. In the Russian planes there is the graphic waypoint lines on the HDD so you don't need to use the HSI. I guess the HSI is the only instrument to use in the US planes...any tips?

Thank you.

Edited by fitness88

How do you co-ordinate [knowing what is where] the list of airfields in the screen pop-up menu with the NAV info you see on the HUD. In the Russian planes there is the graphic waypoint lines on the HDD so you don't need to use the HSI. I guess the HSI is the only instrument to use in the US planes...any tips?

Thank you.

Look at the mission briefing and see what the waypoints/steerpoints are. You may need to write this info down somewhere or if you can remember it, that is better. Most mission briefings are pretty easy to remember stuff, as there isn't too many wp's. If wp 4 and 7 are airfields, just select them in NAV mode to see what direction they are and how far away you re from them. The NAV mod in NATO aircraft is pretty simple.

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

Look at the mission briefing and see what the waypoints/steerpoints are. You may need to write this info down somewhere or if you can remember it, that is better. Most mission briefings are pretty easy to remember stuff, as there isn't too many wp's. If wp 4 and 7 are airfields, just select them in NAV mode to see what direction they are and how far away you re from them. The NAV mod in NATO aircraft is pretty simple.

Thanks for the response Cali.

I spent a lot of time tonight reading these posts and others as well as the manual [which is a bit light in its info] and then set up a course to practice the HSI flying the F15. Now I got it down correct.

One thing I noticed, all the Russian planes have the ability to use Enroute, Return and Landing as options in the NAV mode. These are simulator preset flight patterns for each and every individual airport to get you onto final approach. However the US planes don't have this, only the waypoints set by the mission builder for their plane. Is there a way to have Enroute, Return and Landing as options in the NAV mode when flying the F15?

Edited by fitness88

Is there a way to have Enroute, Return and Landing as options in the NAV mode when flying the F15?

The only way is to select the wp you want to go to and go straight at it. There is no enroute or return mode, your landing mode is ILS, once you are within a certain distance from the base.

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

Waypoint 0 will lead you back to the airfield you took off from. If you wish to navigate to other airfields, then your best option it to first radio atc of the desired airfield. They will respond with a bearing and range. After switcing to ILSN mode you can cylce through airfields till the hsi is pointed in the direction of the given bearing with the same approximate range. There will be confusion between Krasnodar Center and Pashkovsky because they are so close to each other, yet their ILSN waypoints are several cycles apart. Provided the weather is clear you can correct visually once you are in range of either.

Is there a way to have Enroute, Return and Landing as options in the NAV mode when flying the F15?

blsdpade, Cali thanks for the additonal info and confirmation.

In the manual it shows a number to the immediate left of the ILSN symbol on the lower right HUD and the manual states on p.93:

Instrument Landing System Navigation (ILSN)

In the ILSN mode, the additional indicators are shown:

 In the lower right corner of the HUD, the ILSN index is shown and informs you of the current mode and waypoint number. (3 ILSN)

Actually this is exactly what you see in NAV steering mode, I wonder if the 3 is supposed to correspond to the number of the airfield we see in the airport menu? Unfortunately the number (3) doesn't seem to be modelled in the sim.

Here is another option, make a template in mission builder with WPs at each entrance point to the ILS [10nm] at each airport, write down the info or display a screenshot on a second monitor for reference. It would even be possible to have "ENROUTE" or "RETURN" factured in.

Talking about the mission builder has anyone noticed the ruler tool that gives the distance between WP is in feet...I need a calculator to figure out 2563984 feet between 2 WPs. Is there a way to get it to nm?

• 2 weeks later...

For mig-29 or F-15C(I don't fly F-15C but am sure it works same for Mig-29), you have to hold down spacebar for few seconds or if you are using a joystick, then hold down the fire trigger for couple seconds and the missile should launch.

Damn, I feel like such a stupid newb..... I've been getting ticked off because sometimes the missiles haven't been firing for me. Had no idea I had to HOLD the button down. I've been fast clicking it like the cannon button. DOH!

+1 for you RD.

Steve (Slick)

ThrustMaster T.Flight Hotas X | TrackIR5 Pro | EVGA GTX 1070 | Win10 64-bit Professional | Dell Precision 7920 Workstation | 1 TB SSD | 128 GB Memory | Dual Intel Xeon Platinum 2.0 GHz 16 Core Processors (64 Total w/HT ON) | 24" Dell Monitor