HOTAS WARTHOG-some questions

hey guys!

finally that DCS made a helpless addict of me, i couldnt hold myself any longer and finally purchased the HOTAS WARTHOG.

up until now i have the CH-Fighterstick,CH-ProThrottle and the CH-Pro Pedals.

they are good devices, but lack a bit in precision, and besides, the warthog just looks sexy.

but while i have to wait until the stick arrives, i have a few questions about it...

first- how can i reset my controls to the default settings that come with the game automatically before you changed anything?

(i found myself a bit in trouble when i forgot to load my CH-Profile and then started DCS world, since then all the default control settings are gone just like ESC to end a mission)

second- if the warthog finally arrives, do i really only need to plug the thing in, and DCS will set all the controls for it?is it automatically set as realistic as it gets?meaning for example that the 8way coolie hat does indeed automatically trim the plane and not steers the view controls?

third-as the warthog is a replica of the real thing, and therefore i want to keep it as realistic as possible, i wonder, what button to use for zoom in and out function?of course i could use the keyboard for it, but thats a bit complicated...right now i have it set on two buttons of my throttle, as the ch-throttle is no replica....

fourth-do the throttle levers automatically start the engines?or will i still need to hit the keyboard combination of RAlt+ Pos1 to start the left engine for example?(maybe stupid question after two months of flying the A10, but i read that the HOTAS WARTHOG has a afterburner position in the throttle...does the A10 have any kind of afterburner at all?)

fifth- are here any guys, who had first a ch-setup just like me, and then switched to the warthog?what was your impression in regards of precision,centering,jittering and so on in comparision with the ch-devices?

ok thats it for now, but im sure with some answers, more questions will follow!thx in advance!

1. Try in the options/controls, select the plane (ie A-10 sim) at the bottom there is a tab that says default, I suspect that may revert everything back?

2. Yup plug and play, however be aware of trim and if using TiR delete all the inputs that will be detected for your views for the hotas on the joystick hat switch. (they conflict with trim)

Good option is to set the hat up and down for trim settings.

3. Zoom, I struggled with this for a while, was using zoom on the throttle slider( incr/decr slider) but that sucks and is shaky.

Best way is to add an extra modifier in the control settings. I added the joystick paddle lever as modifier.

Then I assigned zoom to that modifier+ joystick hat up and down for zoom. Works like a charm.

4. When you go through the startup procedure you set the throttle to the off position, thats all the way back, then a little lift and they slot in.

Once APU is running and everything is ready you can simply slide each throttle off the lift area and that will initiate the engine start.

There are also engine start switches on the throttle, I dont use them much unless trying to restart in flight.

There is also an option in the settings somewhere to auto start the sim to detect all the hotas switch positions, not using that either. (unticked)

5. cant comment, had a Cougar U2nxt before.

Congrats on your purchase, you will be suitably impressed I am sure :thumbup:

edit: I found it best to adjust your curves for x/y axis. I use curve of about 40 no deadzone. Makes it more manageable for fine flying (air refueling) YMMV

Also for rudder, but test a bit and see what suits your flying style best. I use a little deadzone for rudder pedals as I tend to rest my feet on them now and again.

Edited by Vlerkies

Thermaltake View 91, Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra, i9 9900K, Corsair H150i Pro, 32Gb Trident Z 3200, Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 2080ti, Corsair AX1200i, Warthog A-10 Hotas, MFG Crosswind pedals, TiR5 Pro, HP Reverb Pro

hey Vlerkies!

thx for all your answers!

the default tab is i think at least only for each control input...so you can for example click this button for the option engine start, and it will restore the default keybinding for this control...but it will not restore the whole "engine controls" section with one click...so that means, i would have to do it for each control option, and as we all know for the a10 there are hundreds of them :)

(i also tried the repair function of dcs world, but that didnt do the trick)

regarding the zoom,...does that mean with the modifier, that you have to press a keyboard button+ one on the stick?

See attachment.

On the joystick there is a pinky finger type switch and a paddle in front of that. Useful as a modifier as its easy to reach on the fly

regarding the zoom,...does that mean with the modifier, that you have to press a keyboard button+ one on the stick?

No

I use the hat switch up and down on the joystick for aircraft nose up and down trim.

I also use that hat up and down for zoom in and out.

Just when using for zoom, I press the paddle switch with my pinky finger and then the hat switch.

As the paddle switch is assigned as a modifier in the controls, when it is pressed with the hat up, it does not trim, but zooms in.

On the controls to default _ Im not sure maybe you can get a default settings file from someone and overwrite the one you have, not sure though.

Or else, just do a fresh instal that will sort it all out for you (just if you do, remember to deactivate all your installed paid modules first to avoid using up an activation when you re-instal)

64020953.thumb.jpeg.724b3eac7322e6aecc03c0bfa9af8fa0.jpeg

Edited by Vlerkies

Thermaltake View 91, Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra, i9 9900K, Corsair H150i Pro, 32Gb Trident Z 3200, Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 2080ti, Corsair AX1200i, Warthog A-10 Hotas, MFG Crosswind pedals, TiR5 Pro, HP Reverb Pro

Not sure, but looking on google there appears to be a yellow type lever or paddle in that area on pics I just looked at, not sure what its for though.

fifth- are here any guys, who had first a ch-setup just like me, and then switched to the warthog?what was your impression in regards of precision,centering,jittering and so on in comparision with the ch-devices?

I've switched from CH setup to Warthog. My first impression was that joystick feels a lot more stiff- you need to use more force to move it, but on the other hand movement is much more fluid. In CH when moving in X i Y axis you could feel both springs- nothing like that in Warthog and IMHO it gives you a lot more precision.

As for centering- never had any problem with CH gear (except for that slew control on throttle). Same thing with Warthog. What I've noticed though is that even small force (like resting your hand just a bit on joystick) can move it out of center (it's more of a + than - but you have to keep that in mind). Lastly Warthog throttle is different league- massive, requires more force to move, with a lot of buttons. Slew control is working great- I've always had some issues with it on my CH gear.

Anyway I have to say it was worth it, and I don't think you will regret your purchase.

1. Unplug your old stick and throttle and start up A-10 and look at the controls to make sure it's gone. exit the game.

2. Plug in the TM Warthog set (it takes 2x USB ports, FYI). Start up DCS A-10 and look at the controls. All the controls will be set. I changed the "silence gear alarm button" to "gear up/down/ so I didn't have to go to the keyboard and one other control I'll discuss later.

3. There is a slider to the right of the throttle that is for "tension" but it's not the mechanical tension, it's a programmable axis (the real tension is at the top of the plate). I use that for my zoom ;)

4. Yup, "over the hump," just like the real thing.

5. Sorry, I came from an X-52 set.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CPU - Intel 8088 @ 4.77 MHz; Memory - 128KB; 360KB double-sided

5 1/4" full-height floppy disk drive; 10MB Seagate ST-412 hard drive

JG-1 MiG-21bis Checklist

As noted your warthog will be set, however a couple of the buttons and axis won't. My paddle switch is now set to trackir center. The zoom is set to the gray slider on the throttle. At first the trim pov was set to views in mine. I had to manually set it to trim.

As for the axis the big one for me was the throttle slew control. Default was set way to low. Cranking saturation up to 70. (mine was defaulted at about 20)

Asus Sabertooth P67 Motherboard 2600k CPU, 16 gig DDR3, 1600. Samsung 830, 256 gig hard drive,

GTX780 Video Card, Warthog Hotas, Razer Mamba mouse. Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals. Trackir 5, Verizon FIOS 25Meg Up/Down

thx guys for all your answers!thx jar for you sig link, nice little cockpit you have there!uh and btw, watching your vid, and seeing how smooth the motion seems to be on the warthog stick, and hearing the clicks of the buttons, make me even more eager to lay my hands on that stick for the first time!

just like you said in your vid,...there's really no reason to complain about ch-stuff,...its rock solid and feels as if it would last forever.im just looking for a little bit more precision.and those two springs in the fighterstick, although in some situations quite handy even, are just unrealistic and make a smooth "overlapping" of both axis almost impossible...

make sure to update your firmware. There was a problem with the firmware at release that cause the throttle side to fail every so often and require returning to manufacture to fix.

Im sure its already upto date if you just gt it but you should check anyway. I,ve not had a problem but I know others that have.

I'm pretty sure it comes with the latest firmware now. But certainly check that it's up to date. As far as I know you have to install TARGET to check the firmware version. You can un-install it after as you do not need it for the A-10C (actually don'y need it for the other modules either just program in game)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

^^thats a good tip too!

will have to figure out whats the best way to do it though, as both the CDU as well as the UFC have many letters

One method that can work well is to use a button on the stick as a modifier, the paddle switch perhaps, and that modifier combined with 'A' on the keyboard is 'A' on the CDU. Then you can hold the modifier switch with your right hand on the stick and type with your left. It takes a little time to set up but you only have to do it once.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

ok guys, my warthog arrived one day earlier than expected...unfortunately, when the it was delivered, i had to go to work 5minutes later, so i hadnt any time to explore it....but in this short time period, i noticed two things...

first, the throttle doesnt seem to have this "afterburner" position, but is movable to the complete forward edge without having to pull it up like it is in the idle position...is there anything i need to do first to make this work?

second,...i noticed that the speedbrake switch remains in its forwards and center position, but i need to keep it pressed to hold it in the aft position...is this normal and supposed to be?

first, the throttle doesnt seem to have this "afterburner" position, but is movable to the complete forward edge without having to pull it up like it is in the idle position...is there anything i need to do first to make this work?

second,...i noticed that the speedbrake switch remains in its forwards and center position, but i need to keep it pressed to hold it in the aft position...is this normal and supposed to be?

1. A10 has no afterburner, so you won't find it on your stick :)

2. That's like in real hog

Happy flying with your new gear

3. Zoom, I struggled with this for a while, was using zoom on the throttle slider( incr/decr slider) but that sucks and is shaky.

If you turn off throttle LEDs (in TARGET ) that slider works for zooming like a charm.

Cheers

edit: ninja'd, leaving this up for handy youtube link

The Afterburner detent is "off" by default, the manual has instructions on how to use the included allan key to install it if you like. There's also a tutorial floating around on youtube,

And the speedbrake function is normal, that way when you're retracting the brakes you can basically just set it and forget.

thx guys for the answers!

ok just took a ride in the a10...or better i wanted to, but now with the warthog, somehow it seems as if AI would take over control as soon as i have a target in my crosshair....suddenly mavs are launched and the gun fires without me even pushing a button!? never had that before...

all in all the warthog feels great though so far...one thing i noticed though...if the stick is in center position, there is a small range(especially on pitch-axis, where the pressure of the spring is not really existent, so in center it moves a little bit, until you feel the pressure of the spring...this is mainly on the pitch axis,on the roll axis this is not or hardly existent...normal or not?

ok guys i think i found a the problem....

in windows calibration, when i move the stick to the right, or fully forwards, windows recognizes that suddenly all buttons on the stick are pressed...this is reproducable every time...moving the stick a little bit to the right, or fully forward, and all buttons are suddenly highlighted in the calibration tool....is my stick defective?should i return it?

ok guys i think i found a the problem....

in windows calibration, when i move the stick to the right, or fully forwards, windows recognizes that suddenly all buttons on the stick are pressed...this is reproducable every time...moving the stick a little bit to the right, or fully forward, and all buttons are suddenly highlighted in the calibration tool....is my stick defective?should i return it?

Sounds like a short in the cables that go to the buttons. If you are a little savvy with soldering and electronics, you can probably fix it yourself, if not, i'd contact official support.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!