TH Warthog Addional Controls?

IJammer

Hi

As a DCS/A-10C newbie and using a recently acquired TH Warthog HOTAS (what a beast :joystick:); I was quite impressed with the fact that the A-10C recognises the TH Warthog straight off with regard to controller settings.

I have set the throttle (unused/mapped as default) friction slider (to the right of the throttle bars) as a cockpit view zoom... although that does make the viewed display 'wobble' when set between either end of zoom and middle setting. Middle and end settings are stable. Anyone else suffering from this 'wobbling' zoom affect on the throttle zoom? The zoom on the KP (\,*) is stable what ever setting. Maybe I should disable the KP settings if I am using the throttle slider zoom? Just thought of that one...:idea:

The other point that help would be appreciated on is what would be a useful mapping for the j/stick unused 'button/bar' situated at the lower/front of the joystick? As far as I am aware this button lever is not actually implemented in a real A-10C... however, it seems like a useful addition. I have it set as a 'snap-shot' pic taker at the moment, but I have no doubt that you long term TH Warthog users will have set it to something more useful, any ideas? Nothing rude please... :)

One more newbie question... where can I find more time? This flight sim is taking over my life!:helpsmilie:

TIA for any help here...

IJammer

Edited by IJammer

I use the paddle on the joystick as a modifier (a shift-key, if you like), which allows me to map more functions to the available buttons, e.g. I can put pause on a shifted button (paddle + left throttle button). I also use the slew-click button on the throttle as a second modifier, usually for modifying buttons on the stick (I find it's easier if the modifier and button being modified are on different hands).

As for the jitter on the friction slider, the best solution I found was to put zoom on slider+modifier, which means holding down an additional button when using the slider to zoom, but at least the game then doesn't see the jitter unless the modifier is down.

Edited by davedontmind

The " wobbleness" of the throttle slider when set to zoom, is a bug in the firmware of the Warthog, that shows itself when having the LED's set to on.

I have disabled the LED's in Target, so they remain off - and do not get this issue, zoom on that slider works smoothly.

While I have not tried it personally, I have read that you can have the LED's on as long as they are set to max brightness, anything other than max brightness or off, and the erratic behaviour happens. Again, I have only read that and have not tried it personally. I am ok with leaving mine off.

Lastly, while I myself am not using it yet, I do have that paddle on the stick assigned as a modifier, should I desire to use it as such in the future - I am still going through the learning stages of this sim.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

You should take a look at this thread http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=87543&highlight=ahk+center+trackir

I don't know if you got a Trackir, but there's some good idea's in there regardless.

System: Asus z270 A Prime, Intel i7-7700K 4.8GHz, 32GB DDR4, RTX2080, Samsung 500GB 850 EVO SSD.

Valve Index VR, TM Warthog Throttle & Grip, Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 base, TM TPDR Rudders.

I get the wobble but I rarely zoom in so doesn't bother me and I use the paddle to recentre TIR.

Intel i7 920 2.66Ghz D0 OC'd to 3.40GHz | MSI GeForce GTX 660 Black Knight 2048MB GDDR5 | Samsung F3 1TB | Corsair 6GB DDR3 | Gigabyte EX58-UD3R Intel X58 | LG DVD RW SATA DL RW | Corsair TX 650W ATX2.2 PSU | Antec 902 | Coolermaster V8 CPU Cooler | W7 HP 64 bit | 27" iiyama monitor | TM HOTAS Warthog #05225 | TM Cougar MFDs | Saitek Pro-flight combat pedals | Track IR 5

Paddle is my Trackir pause, I also use the push button CMS for Trackir centre seen as it's never used. Problem is with Trackir it recognises the throttle and joystick as one item for some bizarre reason. So button 4 on the joystick will also operate button 4 on the throtlle etc. So radio thumbie (up or in - both unused in sim) on the throttle will also operate the paddle or pinkie on the joystick which gets annoying. Never had the wobbles though with my camera zoom (zoom slider as you) so I assume my lights are on full, although some have blown anyways

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

Zoom - Map the pinkie paddle switch on the joystick as a modifier in controls, then assign it and the hat up and down for zoom, works way better than the slider imho.

Thermaltake View 91, Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra, i9 9900K, Corsair H150i Pro, 32Gb Trident Z 3200, Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 2080ti, Corsair AX1200i, Warthog A-10 Hotas, MFG Crosswind pedals, TiR5 Pro, HP Reverb Pro

Ok... thanks guy's, most helpful ideas. I don't have ITracker yet, something on the 'todo' list, but that paddle sounds like it could be useful there. Also the modifier... yup, never thought of that and must admit I have not delved that deep into the DCS controller settings yet; still getting to grips with the defaults. I like the idea of the paddle controlling the wheel brakes at the moment... as a couple of times I have shot off the black stuff while fumbling for the 'W' key! I have yet to organise some rudder peddles... so still using 'z' & 'x' for nosewheel/rudder steerage.

Ok, on the jitter/wobble with the throttle slider control... aghhh, its associated with the LED strip eh! Well, I never installed Target. Someone advised it was not required if only using the A-10C (at the moment). My LED's do not light up... as I understand it then, its the Target software that controls the LED's. Do they have any function apart from a pretty display?

Perhaps I should install the Target stuff then... unless there is a down side to that?

Again, thanks for all the help guy's; a great community on here and I shall look forward to knocking some of you out of the sky LOL

IJammer

No real downside to installing Target, and it will give you the flexiblity to control your LED's. Just because it is installed doesn't mean you have to have a profile running.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I would advise to use the paddle switch as a modifier as advised. Much more flexibility there.

e.g. paddle+Horn button on the throttle - wheels up /down

or paddle +CMS up NVG on /off, paddle+CMS right /left NVG gain

paddle+coolie hat on the stick to pan the view when using F2 or F6 views (unmodified should be trim)

paddle+radio hat fore /aft to increase /decrease VHF am radio volume (AI chatter sometimes is too loud)

paddle+DMS left /right set to UFC Select up down (quickly switch through weapons profiles without changing SOI to HUD!) ...though I no longer need it since I build my UFC:D

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

+1 for "Paddle as a modifier".

I have mine set up for a number of things but for zooming in and out I use the paddle + Mic fwd to zoom in and Paddle + Mic Aft to zoom out. Paddle + Mic dwn sets to default.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

No - just eye candy ;)

no - you can program these with TARGET script ... :smartass:

Edited by shagrat

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Hey shagrat,

Are you using the paddle as modifier combined with the coolie hat to pan your view in exterior view?

I tried that, but it would not work for me - it would pan the view, however it also still operated as trim at the same time. Maybe I did something wrong and could give it another try... but when I did set it that way, it would always still trim the aircraft as well.

Don B

yes, exactly. Paddle button plus trim hat up is view down etc.

you need to check that the trim function uses only four directions, view should contain all eight.

also check if anything is configured only once. you need to assign every single direction with modifier and button press=paddle+trimhat up for "view down slow". paddle+trimhat down for "view up slow" and so on... :joystick:

Shagrat

The " wobbleness" of the throttle slider when set to zoom, is a bug in the firmware of the Warthog, that shows itself when having the LED's set to on

I think that there is no "wobbleness" if the LED brightness is set to max. And if Target software is not installed, max. is the default? Am I correct?

+1 for "Paddle as a modifier".

I have mine set up for a number of things but for zooming in and out I use the paddle + Mic fwd to zoom in and Paddle + Mic Aft to zoom out. Paddle + Mic dwn sets to default.

+1 for Paddle as a modifier as well. You are not very clever imho if you don't use it as a modifier because it's kinda waste of capabilities :).

I have named my pinkie modifier as "Pinky (Paddle)" in the options. Like Sarge55, I also Zoom with Mic button. My settings are:

Zoom in slow: Pinky (Paddle) + JOY_BTN4

Zoom normal: Pinky (Paddle) + JOY_BTN2

Zoom out slow: Pinky (Paddle) + JOY_BTN6

Those "JOY_-buttons" of course mean throttle mic hat actions.

Ok thanks shagrat, I will give it another go and see if I can get it to work properly this time. Thanks for the info.

Don B

you need to check that the trim function uses only four directions, view should contain all eight.

That's very true. If you have TrackIR and use trim hat as a trimmer, you should disable "middle positions" like View Up Left slow (JOY_BTN_POV1_UL), View Down Right slow etc. etc. from A-10C Sim View Controls.

That's very true. If you have TrackIR and use trim hat as a trimmer, you should disable "middle positions" like View Up Left slow (JOY_BTN_POV1_UL), View Down Right slow etc. etc. from A-10C Sim View Controls.

Ah, I do have Track IR and did not realize that- thanks.

Don B

The " wobbleness" of the throttle slider when set to zoom, is a bug in the firmware of the Warthog, that shows itself when having the LED's set to on.

I have disabled the LED's in Target, so they remain off - and do not get this issue, zoom on that slider works smoothly.

WHOA. First I've read of this. Can't wait to get my bricked throttle back!

dcs_sig.jpg

it is my understanding it is the backlight LED's. At least in my case, it is.

• Like 1

Don B