Overclocking Made Easy

Bought a system with a ASUS X79 Pro Motherboard.It has built in interface that with a few mouse clicks will overclock your system automatically to a stable state,It's brilliant!!! Basically takes all the Math/guess work out of overclocking. I Highly recommend it if you are building a new rig and don't know a whole lot about overclocking or are afraid to.:thumbup:

Patrick

mini.gif

Frankly, as a long time over clocker, I would not place too much faith in this, in my experience there aint no shortcuts to a stable o/c.

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

Nah... automatic overclocking just doesn't do it.

The whole point of overclocking is getting as much pressure up in the system, without blowing a pipe and releasing the blue smoke.

As well all know, the blue smoke is integral to every system and must stay contained within the system for it function properly (a bit like the hamster on the wheel... the hamster must stay on the wheel - no matter what).

Once the blue smoke has been released, your system cannot run as it has no pressure to force the information around, and the trick with overclocking is to take the system to its limits. Taking the system to its limits, can only effectively be done manually. It has to done be bit by bit, step by step... listening for little pops and creaks (with software designed to listen for such pops and creaks - such as Prime etc). Then increasing the pressure some more, listening further for rails lifting and hotspots which may develop - step by step, bit by bit - increasing pressure here and backing off a valve there, tightening a junction or two along the way.

Hotspots are a dead give-away that release of the blue smoke is iminent...

Edited by Wolf Rider
  • Like 1

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

My EVGA x58 MOBO has a "dummy overclock" but it hardlocks the machine, it no work.

Manual o/c, which took a day, got me here...

7-2_zpsa2ffbc44.jpg

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

Haha!!! Wolf Rider,You remind me of The Chief Engineer in Das Boot,Always tinkering,Listening to his twin Diesel Engines fine tuning them to get the very,very best out of his PowerPlant:D

1_zpsff8735f2.jpg

I do understand your opinion,Those who buy an Old Chevy Muscle Car/Hot Rod,Love to spend time under the hood,Getting Greasy pulling The Big V8 Apart only to put it back together to gain a few more Horse Power.:thumbup:

I just posted this for the PC novices like myself who are looking for an easier way without Frying lots of $$$ in hardware.

Cheers!

Patrick

mini.gif

Every piece of silicon is different. When you start to understand what's going on when overcklocking, you realise that AUTO setting in 99% of cases is no-go.

Have a look at this overclocking primer (it's meant for Gigabyte x77 motherboards, but the principles are universal if you work with any other modern mobo), and you'll understand why AUTO is a bad thing in overclocking.

http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cpu_mainboard/gigabyte_z77_overclocking_guide/1

I know that you don't want to hear this, but there are no shortcuts. If you are a beginner (and we all were at some point) take your time, read articles and watch videos as much as you can and most importantly - use common sense.

It's not that complicated as it looks.

Edited by danilop

i Never trust auto overclocks.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Bought a system with a ASUS X79 Pro Motherboard.It has built in interface that with a few mouse clicks will overclock your system automatically to a stable state,It's brilliant!!! Basically takes all the Math/guess work out of overclocking. I Highly recommend it if you are building a new rig and don't know a whole lot about overclocking or are afraid to.:thumbup:

Hey OP this is the wrong place to post this stuff. Its a great place to see what people are doing against heavy software like DCS but most will not want to admit this it true. The ASus automatic overclocking works!!!!!!! I started Overclocking computer with the first overclockers motherboard made by overclockers in 2000 the Iwill xp333r . Boys and girls, this is where it all started http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=930 I spent a couple years with others in the forums pushing this boards to the max with latest xp 1700 and 2100 old procs. Those were the days.

Then came automatic overclocking software. Its was shit!! Didn't work. A lot of people were using it to run benchs and brag but it didn't run 24/7.

So the short story is automatic overclocking does work now these days with these ASUS boards for sure! My system is 13 months old and auto overclocked to 4.4 ghz with the mem setting set at the XMS 1600 profile. My system eats DCS no problem. Any other bravado or money spent is simply just that.

Edited by emenance

Asus P8Z68-V GEN3/ 2500k 4.4ghz / Corsair 64gb SSD Cache / Corsair 8g 1600 ddr3 / 2 x 320gb RE3 Raid 0 /Corsair 950w/ Zotac 560TI AMP 1gb / Zalman GS1200 case /G940/

Nobody is saying it doesn't work. Most people don't use the auto overclock due to it usually setting the voltages way too high. My board for example set CPU voltage at 1.4v for 4.4ghz. In the south Texas winters I run 4.8ghz at 1.35v. In the summer i bump it down at 4.6ghz at 1.3v. At 4.4ghz I was stable at around 1.26v. Long story short an auto overclock will increase wear and tear along with shortening lifespan.

Pacotito

I7-5820k@4.5 Z99 extreme4 16gb ddr4

520gb ssd. Gigabyte ssc GTX960 SSC 4gb

Nobody is saying it doesn't work. Most people don't use the auto overclock due to it usually setting the voltages way too high. My board for example set CPU voltage at 1.4v for 4.4ghz. In the south Texas winters I run 4.8ghz at 1.35v. In the summer i bump it down at 4.6ghz at 1.3v. At 4.4ghz I was stable at around 1.26v. Long story short an auto overclock will increase wear and tear along with shortening lifespan.

I don't think that is true anymore at least not in my recent experience or what I have seen. I ran a 600 MHz manual overclock on the old Q6600 2.4 ghz Cpu I had in a ASUS Maximus board for four years rock solid. I sold it to a friend and its on its 5th year still rock solid. 5 years is a long time on a 600 MHz overclock running 24/7. Then again I buy motherboards around the $250 price range and there is a diff. I think that helps, I also think the hardware can just take it more than we used to.

Asus P8Z68-V GEN3/ 2500k 4.4ghz / Corsair 64gb SSD Cache / Corsair 8g 1600 ddr3 / 2 x 320gb RE3 Raid 0 /Corsair 950w/ Zotac 560TI AMP 1gb / Zalman GS1200 case /G940/

I would agree with a sensible overclock. Unfortunately the auto overclock is usually not a sensible overclock. They are trying to get every CPU at a certain GHz. All CPUs are different. So in order to get the worst CPUs to 4.4ghz they figure it takes 1.4v. That's .15v over what mine actually needed. Not to mention the overclocking "experts" recommend 1.35v max for a 24/7 overclock. Heat destroys electronics. Higher voltage means higher heat. Higher heat means shorter life. I'm just trying to say that the ease of auto overclock is usually outweighed by the inherent risk. Take the time and do it manually.

Edited by pacotito

Pacotito

I7-5820k@4.5 Z99 extreme4 16gb ddr4

520gb ssd. Gigabyte ssc GTX960 SSC 4gb

Personally I use the Auto overclocking and it works great. I'm not the one which wants to push the limits (and don't mind my case, I'm special...) and for that the ASUS mobo do its job great. When you come with an "extreme" overclocking and you want to exploit the whole potential of your CPU, of course do it manually, that's common sense...

But autooverclocking is fine and less risky for a "standard and safe oc", every CPU is treated differently. I've a friend with an i7 2600k on ASUS Z68 auto oced and he gets 4.4Ghz stable and cool.

Strike Posture Set CAS Center of Excellence

Intel Core i5 4690k @4,6Ghz, Gigabyte GTX 970 OC, Gigabyte Z97-X, 16GB G Skill Sniper @2400, Samsung 860/850 EVO , Win 10 64 bits, Dual monitors 27"@144"Opentrack + TM Warthog + Saitek pro flight combat