SU-25T Pilots: KAB-500kr-OD vs. KH-29T

Megile

I've been trying to way up the pro's and con's of both of these TV guided munitions...

I've never seen anybody online use the KAB-500kr-OD, so does this mean everyone is pretty much in favour of the KH-29?

Any ideas on when and where to use the bomb over the missile?

ty

People use the kh29 missile because it does not require you to overfly the target area, but also I believe the bomb gets overlooked. Personally I like to use both depending on situation. If you want to hit a hard target (or 2!) that is swamped by short range AA then climb over 4000m and use the bomb. Also the bomb cannot be shot down by aa defences and the missile easily can.

@prophet - all the kh29s and KABs are suitable for bunkers - the difference between the two KABs is not really modelled in LO.

Guest ruggbutt

I've used the KAB quite a bit. There are tight parameters for release, but it will pretty much take out anything that's not moving.

Also the bomb cannot be shot down by aa defences and the missile easily can.
Which is quite weird considering that the bomb is slower than the missile.

all the kh29s and KABs are suitable for bunkers - the difference between the two KABs is not really modelled in LO.
Let's hope that ED will start to correct the behaviour and damage and graphical effects of the different weapons, because we know that there are a lot of faults there.

i7-2600k@4GHz, 8GB, R9 280X 3GB, SSD, HOTAS WH, Pro Flight Combat Pedals, TIR5

I will have to check these out, I dont use the 29T or KAB much. I wonder what the blast is like. You figure one of those should take out a close SAM site with frag?

If memory serves, the KAB-500kr-OD is an FAE (Fuel Air Explosive) and that bomb, at least, would not destroy a SAM site by fragmentation. The site, OTOH, would probably be destroyed. Somewhere on the Net I recall seeing a demonstration of how an FAE works. Quite impressive. When I get home I'll see if I have the link.

Rich

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Guest ruggbutt
I will have to check these out, I dont use the 29T or KAB much. I wonder what the blast is like. You figure one of those should take out a close SAM site with frag?

They do! They're a bit overkill though, considering how big and heavy they are. You can get the same (or better) range from the laser guided SL25 or the KH25 if you're just gonna smackdown some A/A.

Rgr, there are better tools.

I have been just using the Vihkirs and ETS pod lately.

Yes, vikhrs + Fantasm. is the bomb, especially because you can lock the Shkval on the EST signal, and pwn those KUB sites :p

Which one has more frontal resistance, the KAB-500 or the Kh-29T?

Creedence Clearwater Revival:worthy:

The KH-29T is considerably heavier, and has a slightly larger body diameter than the KAB-500kr.... the TV guided version, not the normal dumb bomb.

It also has more TNT equivilant (317kg vs. 195kg)

As suggested, the phanta and Vikhr combo seems to be better for taking out short range SAMs and AAA systems.... that and they can be used more efficiently against moving targets also.

I'll keep the TV guided weapons for Bunkers, command posts etc.

those FAE(thermobaric) bombs are pretty nasty...

The [blast] kill mechanism against living targets is unique--and unpleasant.... What kills is the pressure wave, and more importantly, the subsequent rarefaction [vacuum], which ruptures the lungs.… If the fuel deflagrates but does not detonate, victims will be severely burned and will probably also inhale the burning fuel. Since the most common FAE fuels, ethylene oxide and propylene oxide, are highly toxic, undetonated FAE should prove as lethal to personnel caught within the cloud as most chemical agents.

According to a separate U.S. Central Intelligence Agency study, "the effect of an FAE explosion within confined spaces is immense. Those near the ignition point are obliterated. Those at the fringe are likely to suffer many internal, and thus invisible injuries, including burst eardrums and crushed inner ear organs, severe concussions, ruptured lungs and internal organs, and possibly blindness."Another Defense Intelligence Agency document speculates that because the "shock and pressure waves cause minimal damage to brain tissue…it is possible that victims of FAEs are not rendered unconscious by the blast, but instead suffer for several seconds or minutes while they suffocate."