A-10C Mini Campaign: Operation Save Badger (SP & MP)

Flew the first mission tonight, really impressed. The scenario is strongly atmospheric and requires good SA and a decent level of mastery of the airplane's systems. The way you have organised the JTAC voiceovers and synchronised them with the F10 radio menu is ingenious. I did pretty well, hitting the primary in several passes from 20k ft, then tasking my flight to provide CAS for the JTAC once I put down a SPI from the coordinates. Got home in one piece, scored a 50, FWIW.

My question, and again I apologise if I'm not understanding how the campaign structure works, is: after I finished the first mission, the sim did not put me in the second mission but cycled back and wanted me to play the first again. In order to fly the second mission, it appears I will have to navigate to its location in the Mods, etc. folder. That's fine, but if I do it this way, can I expect the engine to keep track of my campaign progress or will I just be flying it as four individual missions?

I have found the "factory" campaigns to be really weak, so I have very little experience flying campaigns.

Edited by Bahger

Flew the first mission tonight, really impressed. The scenario is strongly atmospheric and requires good SA and a decent level of mastery of the airplane's systems. The way you have organised the JTAC voiceovers and synchronised them with the F10 radio menu is ingenious. I did pretty well, hitting the primary in several passes from 20k ft, then tasking my flight to provide CAS for the JTAC once I put down a SPI from the coordinates. Got home in one piece, scored a 50, FWIW.

My question, and again I apologise if I'm not understanding how the campaign structure works, is: after I finished the first mission, the sim did not put me in the second mission but cycled back and wanted me to play the first again. In order to fly the second mission, it appears I will have to navigate to its location in the Mods, etc. folder. That's fine, but if I do it this way, can I expect the engine to keep track of my campaign progress or will I just be flying it as four individual missions?

I have found the "factory" campaigns to be really weak, so I have very little experience flying campaigns.

When the mission is complete, the score is 100. By default, the score will be 50 once the mission starts. Did you complete all tasking? You will get a mission complete from the JTAC Badger. For the first mission, it's the sam site, then some infantry, then some apc's. I am guessing you did not quite finish all tasking (mission success is once apc's are dead, last kill targets.) Once you are talked on with the JTAC, any target info will still be available with the F10 - Other command.

There will be no need for you to manually select the missions, once a mission is complete, and you exit, the campaign will automatically put you on the next part. Just make sure you finish all tasking, or see your score at 100. At the end of each mission, a sound file and text will appear notifying you of mission success, and your score will be 100.

I should maybe clarify that for those that are new to playing campaigns in the first post, I too did not understand how it worked until I played and made them.

Edited by Quirkitized

Flew the first mission over the weekend, and had good fun. Got killed, but still had fun :cry:

The synthesized speech does work, and all of the voice acting was quite good, I thought.

About the only area that didn't feel quite right was not having to tune in to receive the comms from Badger. I like the realistic radio modeling in DCS, and it seemed weird to have these people just talking to me from time to time regardless of whether I was tuned to ATC, a package frequency maybe even talking to my wingmen at the time. Your use of the F10 menu option is interesting, though, and admittedly made it convenient to look back at the last message. A trade off, I guess.

Anyway, thanks a lot for building this campaign - even one decent mission is a lot of work, I know, so your effort here to produce and publish a campaign is quite remarkable. Thanks again.

Zenra

Intel i7 930 2.8GHz; ATI HD5850 1GB; 1TB Serial ATA-II; 12GB DDR3-1333; 24 x DL DVD+/-RW Drive; 800W PSU; Win7-64; TM Warthog HOTAS

Yo! I finally had the time to (at least) fly the first mission and I have to say it was the friggin' best experience in DCS A-10C since I have it so far!

Really good voice comms! Great scenario which makes your heart pump faster and a manpad that drove me nuts by nearly blasting me out of the sky, twice.

After my first gun run at the APCs they hit me, leaving me without my guns, but luckily my wingman stopped them at the last second.

Quirkitized, you are my hero!

Can't wait to play the rest of this superb mini campaign!

Cheers!

Bexx0r

--------------

EDIT: Accomplished mission 2, yesterday! Great one, as well! A little less action than the first one, but not less fun! Love it!

Edited by Bexx0r

ASUS P8P67 Deluxe --- Win8.1 Pro 64Bit ---i7-2600K @ 3,4GHz --- 12GB RAM --- NVidia GFX670 --- TM HOTAS WARTHOG --- Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals --- PS3 Eye Cam (modified) --- 3-point Track Clip --- FacetrackNoIR 1.72

Flew the first mission over the weekend, and had good fun. Got killed, but still had fun :cry:

The synthesized speech does work, and all of the voice acting was quite good, I thought.

About the only area that didn't feel quite right was not having to tune in to receive the comms from Badger. I like the realistic radio modeling in DCS, and it seemed weird to have these people just talking to me from time to time regardless of whether I was tuned to ATC, a package frequency maybe even talking to my wingmen at the time. Your use of the F10 menu option is interesting, though, and admittedly made it convenient to look back at the last message. A trade off, I guess.

Anyway, thanks a lot for building this campaign - even one decent mission is a lot of work, I know, so your effort here to produce and publish a campaign is quite remarkable. Thanks again.

This is a very good point and something that I really wanted to do. I tried a few different ways, but the issue I kept having was even if I had it to play off of VHF FM, say 30.00, you would still have to use F10 radio option to trigger it. So regardless of what radio you chose, VHF FM, UHF, VHF AM, or even simple radio of course, you could use F10 in any of those radio modes, so it didn't seem realisitic. It just didn't seem worth the hassle of trying to make sure the files played for the right player(s) in the right zone(s) on the right frequency, so I just did sound to all. There is a possibility it can be done so you must have the right radio dial on for it to work (say F10 works in VHF FM but not AM or UHF) but I am not sure on that, i'd have to do some more checking.

Yo! I finally had the time to (at least) fly the first mission and I have to say it was the friggin' best experience in DCS A-10C since I have it so far!

Really good voice comms! Great scenario which makes your heart pump faster and a manpad that drove me nuts by nearly blasting me out of the sky, twice.

After my first gun run at the APCs they hit me, leaving me without my guns, but luckily my wingman stopped them at the last second.

Quirkitized, you are my hero!

Can't wait to play the rest of this superb mini campaign!

Cheers!

Bexx0r

--------------

EDIT: Accomplished mission 2, yesterday! Great one, as well! A little less action than the first one, but not less fun! Love it!

Glad you are enjoying it bexx0r! Yeah, mission 2 is not as intense as the first one, I think mission 1 and 3 are the most intense....hope u enjoy 3!

thanks for making this campaign - I spent most of the afternoon flying the missions, and completed it. To be honest (and i know some folks on here probably have a different view...) - I'd have been happy to pay $5-$10 for this - I fly SP missions exclusively (no time, and not enough internet connection for MP), and this seems like the kind of campaign that should have been included with the release version. It makes me think of the Vergeev campaign for DCS:BS.

Once again, thanks - and i look forward to more!

Great work!

I´ve flown two missions so far.

I must commend you on your way of making missions. Great immersion, I really feel for the guy on the ground...

Keep up the good work, I shall be watching you closely :thumbup:.

Anything more in the pipline?

In the meantime, I´ll savour the last two missions.

BR

Bandit

Got a little seived up on mission 1, darned MANPADS, but progressed to mission 2 and flew it

with only one problem. The helo got hit, which I imagine is gonna happen regardless,

so I made a danger close pass just afterward, as I suspected as much, and lobbed an `82

onto the ambushers. Nailed `em, but some shrapnel must've perforated the burning UH-60,

as it said I had committed fratricide, and flushed all the kills made on my LTC persona.

Bummer...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

A tale of 2 hogs

Hi spectre, this happened to me while testing before release also. I left it as is thinking most would do gun runs or rocket runs with them so close and near buildings, but I also did not specify (i believe) in the sound file for what weapon choice.

I really wasn't sure what to do, the more I think about it after your post, it seems more of an inconvenience if it happens. I will take a look at it and see if I can prevent the blue on blue. It's a scripted event where the UH60 blowsup, so regardless of your bomb going off on the ambushers, shouldn't effect it, i'll take another go at it. Thanks!!

• Like 2

Just flew the first mission last night with my squadmate...

The SAM site setup and the voice-overs made me feel like I'm really there, pretty dramatic stuff...

Incredible work!!! :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

...the few, the proud, the remaining...

I have flown the first Mission of the Campaign today, and it was a Blast. Great Mission, and the Voice Comms with Badger are giving you the Feeling that you really rescue the Guys below you. Thank you Quirk! :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My System-Specs @ SysProfile

Real Pilots need "No Mark". :D

• 5 months later...

Hi Quirk!

I was looking for some SP campaign this weekend and found this one. As I saw it was playable in MP, I just tried mission 1 with a friend.

I must say we really enjoyed it!! The voice acting is really good. With this, you can only but feel you are there. You feel the urge to help the guys on the ground.

I tried to do a gun run to help them when in the SAM site, but forgot about the Manpads. I evaded 2 but took the third one. Not much damage though.

Really intense!

I never had so much fun!

By the way, the weapons loadout you chose is really interesting.

I am going to use this mission again for our training in the squadron. I'll probably add a few fighters for our FC3 guys.

A big thanks to you for this!!

Can't wait to do mission 2!

Cam'

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Quirkitized.............

Just finished your Operation Save Badger. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Brilliant work mate and much appreciated. I got really sucked into that campaign and was determined to save those guys some how!!

Lovely touch I noticed in the third mission where they are running for the command truck to get the co-ords for the artillery that was giving them stick. I had them on the TGP and was watching them running across while explosions were going off all around them, and with each explosion, I heard it on their radio as they were transmitting to me at the time along with them (you!) panting and the background rain falling........nice touch mate. That was a really good campaign.

Highly recommend to everyone. Realistic and not overly difficult in as much as you don't get shot down by a SAM straight away!! and you have to learn how to use your wingmen effectively to win it.

GREAT attempt......fantastic work.

So........when can we expect more of the same buddy????

PS also loved your Operation Jackal.

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

Loved this campaign! Flew it solo and then online with 4 players (we downsized loadouts to compensate). Great job!

Like others have said on this thread, I think this is the sort of thing that should have been included with DCS in the first place. The Georgia Oil campaign is sorely lacking, especially compared to this.

Hopefully the 5 pages of praise will encourage you to make more?

Hi guys, thank you very much for the kudos on this campaign (and the jackal campaign.) Between the two, there has been nearly 2,700 downloads :thumbup: :pilotfly:

I really did not think as many would enjoy it as much as you have, since I tried to make an acceptable balance between fun & realism, especially not being in the military and not knowing correct stuff.

Currently, I have no plans to make a new campaign, but it is very tempting. I have not played DCS in quite some time. I'm looking to get back into it, and may just have to give campaign making another go.

One thing that puts me off is there is so much more advance stuff you can do with scripts and the campaign could be infinitely better if I could learn it all, jackal & badger campaigns were nothing but tons of triggers, but hey they turned out alright.

As with all my missions I've ever made, feel free to edit them to your own liking, just add something to the name to indicate it was changed or something like that. Just make sure you keep having fun! :thumbup:

• 1 month later...

Hey,

Just finished your mini-campaign! I completed the missions together with a friend and we really enjoyed it! The missions are immersive and can easily be completed with two (human and experienced) A10C pilots. So here are some of our experiences (Spoiler alert!):

We did have a problem in mission 3: I took some more unguided munitions (With CAS in mind) but then we had to do pinpoint strikes on artillery units. So with a lack of guided munitions we had to perform gun runs (Which actually added to the experience!). When we reviewed the track in Tacview we realized how lucky we were with the SA-18's around.

One thing though: On the first three mission we used most of our ordnance in order to complete the mission, which is good and well balanced. However, we were expecting much more from the last mission. We RTB'ed with 6 out of 8 guided bombs. The road block was easy and completely destroyed with two GBU-38's. It took one quick gun run for the last AAA. All the BTR's after that were easily gunnable. So when Badger left the city we had 1500+ rounds together and everything else except for the two GBU's.

Overall it was very well put together and we are looking forward to play Operation Jackal!

Edited by TurboHog

'Frett'

Hey,

Just finished your mini-campaign! I completed the missions together with a friend and we really enjoyed it! The missions are immersive and can easily be completed with two (human and experienced) A10C pilots. So here are some of our experiences (Spoiler alert!):

We did have a problem in mission 3: I took some more unguided munitions (With CAS in mind) but then we had to do pinpoint strikes on artillery units. So with a lack of guided munitions we had to perform gun runs (Which actually added to the experience!). When we reviewed the track in Tacview we realized how lucky we were with the SA-18's around.

One thing though: On the first three mission we used most of our ordnance in order to complete the mission, which is good and well balanced. However, we were expecting much more from the last mission. We RTB'ed with 6 out of 8 guided bombs. The road block was easy and completely destroyed with two GBU-38's. It took one quick gun run for the last AAA. All the BTR's after that were easily gunable. So when Badger left the city we had 1500+ rounds together and everything else excpet for the two GBU's.

Overall it was very well put together and we are looking forward to play Operation Jackal!

I am his wingamn :D and I have to add that the radio chats with Badger were really awesome. I really liked them, they were even syncronized with the explosions in mission 3 :O and you could hear the rain and everything. Really nice. BTW that commander guy tho :D we had a great time laughing at him cuz he sounded so funny ;d so yeah. Good job. Only the ending was a bit not that exciting but overall great. Thanks for the campaign

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

• 1 month later...

Yeah, i remembering...

the Radio Chat was f..in awsome :thumbup: Cinematic immersive!!!

Hope to see Quirkitized strikes back soon :notworthy:

regards Ganesh

She: "Your orders from ED have reached a total amount of $871,88 and your hardware expenses are countless..."
Me: "I can´t invest my money much better until i wait for Germanys Next Top Model": The
Bo-105 PAH1A1

+ Vulkan & continuous work on multithread & VR optimization!

Asus Z490E - 10900k@5,3GHz - 64GB 3600 DDR4 - 4090FE - Reverb G2 - MFG Crosswinds +DamperMod - Selfmade TableMounts - Centered VirPil T-50 Base with 20cm Extension - TM Warthog & Hornet Grip - TM Throttle +SlewMod - Pimped MSFFB2 for Huey - JetSeat SE on a sawn out office Chair - PointCTRL