Intel or leave well enough alone?

I'm currently running a AMD 1090t @ 3.9Ghz and a 6970 @ 950/1450 pushing 3 39" TVs @ 5936x1080/60Hz (bezel adjusted). Should I pop for a higher clockable Intel CPU and a Titan card? Would there be an appreciable Gain in FPS at high settings? I figure I can get $300 for my current MB/CPU/GPU and throw another grand into the pot for the upgrade.

John

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

CPU should be first in line - I had the same CPU you have and it did not cut it. Switching to an i5 2500K did the job. A new GPU would also be in order for that resolution. Titan is overkill IMO - aim for something like GTX 670 with a lot of vRAM - texture memory is crucial for DCS.

Titan is overkill

Is there a such thing? ;)

Dusty Rhodes

Play HARD, Play FAIR, Play TO WIN

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit / Intel i7 4790 Devils Canyon, 4.0 GIG /ASUS Maximus VII Formula Motherboard/ ASUS GTX 1080 8 GB/ 32 Gigs of RAM / Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog / TrackIR 5 / 2 Cougar MFD's / Saitek Combat Pedals/ DSD Button Box FLT-1

CPU should be first in line - I had the same CPU you have and it did not cut it. Switching to an i5 2500K did the job. A new GPU would also be in order for that resolution. Titan is overkill IMO - aim for something like GTX 670 with a lot of vRAM - texture memory is crucial for DCS.

The CPU should be fine at 3.9GHz.

the GPU is a generation old, and depending on the model, might be a bottleneck.

My 7950s w/ XFire Disabled run DCS at 30 F/ps Stable (I lock them at 30 to stop tearing).

Two 7870XT's at $230 each Beat the Titan's Benchmark scores, Just sayin'

But Seeing how DCS seems to love nVidia GPUs/Drivers (or AMD's Drivers just suck for DCS, which is prolly a better assumption).

I'd Go with a 670 w/ 3/4GB of VRAM First. if you still see some slowdowns, then upgrade to a Sandy Bridge Platform.

But I have no issues running 3 screens on my 8350@4Ghz (i have no need to OC right now), and a Single 7950 at 1000/1500 (also no need to OC beyond that).

If I overclock to 1200/1500 GPU i can run 5 Screens in Portrait mode at 30Fp/S Locked w/ no problems.

I also didnt have any issues running 3 screens for DCS on my FX8120, and that CPU had Throttling and IPC Issues.

(IpC on Bulldozer sucked, and the CPU would throttle to 2.9/2.4 GHz while gaming.)

The Whole benchmark situation in AMD vs Intel is moot.

Normal users wont notice any difference, and Power Users have the Common Sense now to use the GPU DirectCompute for the stuff they bench mark CPUs with.

Expample, MP4 Compressing w/ No Effects to render, just straight RAW Uncompressed AVI -> MP4

CPU/8Cores: 255 FrPS

GPUDirectCompute: 390 FrPS.

I can prolly tweak export/render settings to get 450FPs Rendering easily.

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

What she doesn't know won't hurt me...er was that won't get me hurt?!:D

Edited by Dusty Rhodes

Dusty Rhodes

Play HARD, Play FAIR, Play TO WIN

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit / Intel i7 4790 Devils Canyon, 4.0 GIG /ASUS Maximus VII Formula Motherboard/ ASUS GTX 1080 8 GB/ 32 Gigs of RAM / Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog / TrackIR 5 / 2 Cougar MFD's / Saitek Combat Pedals/ DSD Button Box FLT-1

I was going to build a 1090t but so glad I went with an 2500k instead. See my config. Go with a Cache drive SSD set up until SSD tech drives get cheaper and better. My HDD is very SSD like. Very fast boot ups and performance.

Asus P8Z68-V GEN3/ 2500k 4.4ghz / Corsair 64gb SSD Cache / Corsair 8g 1600 ddr3 / 2 x 320gb RE3 Raid 0 /Corsair 950w/ Zotac 560TI AMP 1gb / Zalman GS1200 case /G940/

I was going to build a 1090t but so glad I went with an 2500k instead. See my config. Go with a Cache drive SSD set up until SSD tech drives get cheaper and better. My HDD is very SSD like. Very fast boot ups and performance.

I found a 500Gb Samsung 840 for $290. I just got done installing a copy of Windows8 that I've had laying around for a while. Actually I just got done reinstalling my software. 22 seconds from when I push the button till it's at the desktop ready to go. It's sweet.

I may hold off on the rest of the upgrade for a couple of weeks. Just spent the last week in the mountains and the checking account's lookin' a little light.

John

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground