What are your daily jobs?

hreich

Well, I'm getting into this thread late ... gotta pay more attention to Chit Chat!

I'm retired and not finding it boring at all.

Was USAF 1961-1981 and retired as a MSgt. (E7) -- served as an EOD technician/manager while in the Air Force ... spent a year in Vietnam/Thailand as an aerial gunner on AC-119K gunships back in 69-70.

Went back to school and picked up a BSEE from Penn State in 1984 then worked as an engineer, program manager, and finally manufacturing manager for Burroughs/Unisys and finally Intel, where I retired for real in 2006.

I'll leave it up to you guys as to my age. :)

WH_Blaster (Larry) :beer:

US Air Force (Retired, 1961-1981)

Join us for fun with the DCS series and other games at the War Hawks Squad website ... we are a mature gaming group that enjoys realism and having fun! http://war-hawks.net

System: i7=950 @ 3.3 GHz, GA-X58-UDR3 MB, 6GB RAM, GTX770, 256GB system SSD, 128GB gaming SSD, TIR5, TM HOTAS WH, HannsG 28-in, Acer 23-in touch screen.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok..i started this thread, because i was wondering what do you do for living, all of you DCS world simmers...

My job is Computer programmer in a bank..sadly...

Always wanted to be a pilot, but I have problem with my vision (left eye is ok, right eye dioptry is not so ok for a pilot -3).

Started out doing carpentry in 1971. Joined Navy Seabees 1974 to 1982, Builder rating. As a civilian again got into metal machine shop production shop, then apprenticed tool and die and mold work in the tool room. Got into maintenance machine repair being mechanic and machinist. Later years ran a factory's maintenance shop. Retired a few years ago due to health issues.

This old house and my neighbors' houses I do fix-up. My cellar shop I have an engine lathe, a vertical mill that breaks down to a horizontal mill and surface grinder, horizontal metal cutoff saw and a woodworking radial arm saw for fix-up. And of course lots of hand tools. My 1st year doing tool and die work was all about using the bench and hand tools. I can stick weld and also use oxy/acetylene.

I am a life long asthmatic, so a lot of the active duty options just were not available to me. Navy needed carpenters bad, I guess. My asthma rarely bothered me in the Navy. I survived the tear gas room and the smoke-house fire training. If you want something bad enough there are usually workarounds. Actually qualified for Annapolis but being color blind negated that.

PCs I am purely self-taught. I bought a PC, built a PC, then bought an Alienware then modded it. I figure this route was cheaper than taking non-specific college courses. I have had a lot of help utilizing the various forums and using Google.

If I wanted to go back into the workforce, I am a skilled blue collar worker. My best jobs were gotten by using a phone book and knocking on doors, not answering ads or playing the agency games. I never asked for top dollars up front. A boss could figure me out in a day or two, then go from there. Lots of machine shop work around the Hackensack, NJ area. I would think the ship yards and oil fields would also need a good machinist.

Edited by DieHard

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

How about bush pilot? Flying off-shore helicopters maybe?

Join a company flying small planes for pipeline inspections, aerial filming/photography.

Heli-logging

You will need an PPL at the very least though.

(personal piloting license)

Don't think you need a specific education to get an PPL, but the theory involved includes

high levels of physics, weather, aerodynamics, english, your native language, and math.

Knew a young guy that wanted to be a missionary pilot overseas. So he went to Bible school and they also offered the A&P certificate coursework and pilot training to be a bush pilot. I have met a few guys doing that. The pay ain't great, but they love what they do. One older guy said where he flies there isn't maps and forget radio navigation.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

a bit late for me too

im an ichthyologist

im also playing drums for years as a second job

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]W10(64bit)Asus Rog Strix Z370-F - i7 8700K - Dark Rock Pro 4 - 16 giga ram Corsair vengeance 3000 - MSI RTX 2070 Super - Asus Rog Phobeus soundcard - Z906 Surround speaker - Track ir5 - HOTAS Warthog

Aircraft maintenance engineer ..... worked on 18 months with flying bulls (red bull) F4U4 Corsair

The Corsair is one of my favorites... how tough was it to work on?

As for me, 18 years in the Navy. Airframe Mechanic NEC's 8347, 8342 and 8341. I also worked on EA-6B, AV-8B, AH-1W, F-14A and got to service and turn around a QF-4N one time.

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"

Wasn't there only 4 or 6 or those birds ? That musta been on hell of a ride when that thing kicked off .

No, we had a full squadron complement--don't remember the exact number. There were several models of gunship starting with the AC-119G (Shadow) which was the 17th Special Ops Squadron (SOS). I was in the 18th SOS with the AC-119K (Stinger). They were both converted C-119 cargo planes with side firing guns. The G model had miniguns and flares, the K model added 2 20mm canon to the miniguns and flares, and 2 jet engines hung next to the recip engines because we couldn't get off the ground with all the weight from guns, ammo, and crew.

There was also the earlier AC-47 gunships. I trained in those at England AFB but they phased them out before I could deploy. I transitioned to the Stingers at Lockbourne AFB and was stationed at Phan Rang AB (RVN) and Nakhon Phanon AB (Thailand). The Shadows were stationed at Ton Son Nhut AB near Saigon and I think they had FOL locations where they kept a few birds ... think I remember Da Nang as one but it's a long time ago.

The AC-119 (G and K) mission was mostly truck search and destroy (including light vehicles and sampan boats) --- very similar to the later (and much more powerful) AC-130 (Spectre). They had more armament and could fly higher and had more sophisticated detection and ECM capabilities so they flew missions in more dangerous areas (further up the trail near the passes where there was so much fighter activity). We flew mostly in the delta area and Cambodia out of Phan Rang and then covered the Ho Chi Minh supply trail through Laos and North Vietnam after we moved to Thailand.

Our Stinger doctrine was to avoid enemy air assets and SAMs and if we couldn't, try low level evasion maneuvers. Try to imagine a clunky cargo plane doing low-level "jinking" :lol:

The K model Stingers had to really work to get off the ground ... you really didn't feel the jets kick in because we were so heavy. And they sucked fuel like crazy. The K model could fly with just the recip engines...they used to shut them down once we were safely airborne. But, if you lost a recip and had no jets, there was a lot of "load tossing" going on just to maintain altitude.

It was an interesting ride and a very good assignment.

WH_Blaster (Larry) :beer:

US Air Force (Retired, 1961-1981)

Join us for fun with the DCS series and other games at the War Hawks Squad website ... we are a mature gaming group that enjoys realism and having fun! http://war-hawks.net

System: i7=950 @ 3.3 GHz, GA-X58-UDR3 MB, 6GB RAM, GTX770, 256GB system SSD, 128GB gaming SSD, TIR5, TM HOTAS WH, HannsG 28-in, Acer 23-in touch screen.

Started off as a stevedore in my youth, did that for 3 years & then got lucky and got a job as a soundman / recording engineer / studio technician at a local radio station, did that for 12 years, plus worked as a musician (guitarist) on the side doing various album projects and commercials. Then went to college to study SW engineering & programming, dropped out during the dot-com boom, worked my ass off designing banking and stock market & telco software for years, worked as a media expert & systems admin (*nix & wintendo) at another radio company for 5 years after that, burned out TOTALLY as regards media work & IT and now I'm a postal worker. AND YES, I frikking love it - you get lots of excercise and the job's totally stress-free! Well the pay sucks of course, but hey, one cannot have everything...

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

finished 33 years working for the Royal Logistics Corps doing a bit of everything from blanket stacking to driving 85 foot long loads to aircraft refuelling for the RAF for a short 10 years in the middle, Now I just drive a bus round Planet Thanet in Kent.

AMD A8-5600K @ 4GHz, Radeon 7970 6Gig, 16 Gig Ram, Win 10 , 250 gig SSD, 40" Screen + 22 inch below, Track Ir, TMWH, Saitek combat pedals & a loose nut behind the stick :thumbup:

• 6 months later...

I'm an IT guy... (from a Unix sys admin to manager to architect, covered many bases). :)

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Funny I never posted here...

Civilian side USAF Civil Service QA Chief (pay is great, job is boring)...

Reserve side USAF A-10C Crew Chief and currently the Flightline Expediter...D

476th Maintenance Squadron

View from my "office"

null_zps65569f6b.jpg~original

Nice office! (lucky!!!) :thumbup:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Nice to see so totally different jobs and people hanging out here :thumbup:

On my side:

Salesperson in a bicycle shop in germany but also part of my job there: IT-Support (Network of 15+ PC with 2 different ERP), Product Photography, some MySQL/PHP-Programming and Apache setup from time-to-time and clearly be a mechanic in the workshop also and the office part of sitting on a desk for hours.

Its never boring with this mixup of tasks :D