F-18 grip, WARTHOG compatible

So,

I was about to throw it into the trash, as I'm not interested in anything less then perfect. But decided to give it some cleaning, to rest my eyes from the computer screen. And what do you know, it's actually... fine. And that's with the machine at it's lowest quality, some wrong settings, no after treatment and no curing chamber. ( I sprayed some water on it because the damn camera picks up every single dust fiber and makes it look way worse then it actually is)

IMG_20150217_090040_zps8202e8b5.jpg~original

That's a good start even at my standards. Can't wait for upgrades so I can ramp it up to the highest. And then.. aluminum baby! :D

OH SNAP!

incredible work so far , i want it sooo bad

IAF.Tomer

My Rig:

Core i7 6700K + Corsair Hydro H100i GTX

Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7,G.Skill 32GB DDR4 3000Mhz

Gigabyte GTX 980 OC

Samsung 840EVO 250GB + 3xCrucial 275GB in RAID 0 (1500 MB/s)

Asus MG279Q | TM Warthog + Saitek Combat Pedals + TrackIR 5

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Excellent work hegykc! Very good looking.

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass, Asus ROG Maximus IX Hero, Intel i7 7700K @ 4.8, Corsair HX 1000i, Nzxt Kraken 62, 32gb DDR4 3000Mhz Corsair Dominator Platinum, Nvme SSD Samsung 960 Evo 1Tb, Asus Strix OC 1080ti, Philips 43" 4K Monitor + 2 x Dell 24" U2414H, Warthog HOTAS, Track IR 5, Obutto R3volution, Buttkicker Gamer 2, MFG Crosswind pedals, Occulus Rift CV1, Windows 10 Pro.

I am really impressed so far by the work being done, really. I might have missed a post or two but I still wonder of what material the grip will be? Aluminium, resin, plastic? Also, would it be possible to add the small button in between the castle and the trim found in the f-18e so it could be used for anything else like views or map display?

Thanks and don't forget to let us know how the grips are coming along too! If your plans are to make any or all the other DCS planes I will be more than happy to buy the other ones too.

btw not exactly specific to this HOTAS , but in the F-18C , can you have almost full control of the MFD`s like in the A-10C ? what is the purpose the castle button?

IAF.Tomer

My Rig:

Gigabyte GTX 980 OC

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

btw not exactly specific to this HOTAS , but in the F-18C , can you have almost full control of the MFD`s like in the A-10C ? what is the purpose the castle button?

The castle hat is used for sensor slew in the hornet

Link to my Imgur screenshots and motto

http://imgur.com/a/Gt7dF

One day in DCS... Vipers will fly along side Tomcats... Bugs with Superbugs, Tiffy's with Tornado's, Fulcrums with Flankers and Mirage with Rafales...

:)The Future of DCS is a bright one:)

This is getting better and better. I will be buying a Hornet and Ka-50 grips

My rig specs:

Intel Core i7 4770 @3.4Ghz // Corsair 16GB DDR3 // MoBo Asus Z87K // HDD 1TB 7200RPM // eVGA Nvidia GTX 760GT 2GB DDR5 // LG 3D 47" 1920x1080 // Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS // Saitek Combat Pro Pedals // Thrustmaster MFD Cougar pack // PS3 Eye + FTNOIR

Aluminium, resin, plastic?

Yes :) aluminum, resin plastic.

Also, would it be possible to add the small button in between the castle and the trim found in the f-18e

I could do that. But wouldn't it be possible to add modifiers. Like, pinky button or lever + castle hat = view

If your plans are to make any or all the other DCS planes I will be more than happy to buy the other ones too.

All of the DCS planes will be covered. I already have 80% of the models ready. Just need to produce the F-18 ones as proof of concept first.

A quick glued mockup to check the fit:

IMG_20150218_195545_zps8fc00752.jpg~original

Edited by hegykc
  • Like 1

Hi Hegykc, this all looks great. I'm really enjoying following you through this process.

Could you talk a little about the new joystick base you'll be offering? How will it differ exactly from the TM Warthog base, and are you planning on allowing for any sort of tension adjustments? Oh, and will the 4 mounting screw holes on yours match up with the Warthog's too?

Thanks,

Bull

i9 9900k - GTX 2080 Ti - MSI Z87 GD65 Mobo - 64GB HyperX Predator RGB DDR4 3200MHz - Win10 64 bit - TM Warthog w FSSB R3 mod - TrackIr 5.

The money notes hit the screen , but nothing is happening! hehe

about adding buttons that don't exist on the real deal , it could be interesting to add some , it would be a shame to have less buttons then the Warthog stick.

perhaps a master mode button like the a-10 or a second pinky button or something

can i assume from the pic you are adding a lever switch?

IAF.Tomer

My Rig:

Gigabyte GTX 980 OC

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wow... This is getting better day by day!

My question is about interchangeable throttle grips. How will that work, and can it be quickly done, or should we consider ordering an additional throttle?

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Systems: Falcon NW Talon: Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX 3090 FE; Falcon NW Mach V: Core i7 3930K @3.2GHz, 32GB DDR3, GTX 1080 FE

Cockpit: MonsterTech MTX F, 42" 4K TV, HP Reverb G2, Oculus Rift S, PointCTRL

Controls: RS F16SGRH CE, RS F18CGRH, VPC T-50CM2, VFX, WarBRD (Grips); VPC T-50CM2, RS FSSB R3L (Bases); Winwing F/A-18C, VPC T-50CM3, VPC T-50CM, TM Warthog, Cougar (Throttles); VPC ACE2 (Rudders)

Could you talk a little about the new joystick base you'll be offering? How will it differ exactly from the TM Warthog base, and are you planning on allowing for any sort of tension adjustments? Oh, and will the 4 mounting screw holes on yours match up with the Warthog's too?

It's a bit early for that, but it will have individual gimbals for x and y, instead of direct contact and friction like warthog. Both tension and oil damping adjustments, adjustable extension built in just like this grip and yes, mounting holes to match the warthog's.

My question is about interchangeable throttle grips. How will that work, and can it be quickly done, or should we consider ordering an additional throttle?

The throttles will come with replacement levers, once you install those, you can connect and disconnect the exchangeable throttle grips as you wish. Installing the replacement levers would be a 5 step, 10 min job with detailed instructions. I've done this about 20 times now and there's really nothing to damage. Just unplug and replug a few wires. Piece of cake, especially with a detailed picture guide explaining what everything is/does so you don't go in blind.

Thanks. I think I can make do with the one throttle then. However, I forgot to ask: does your Hornet throttle have the antenna elevation control? I didn't see that in your pictures, and wonder if there's enough wires for you to do that. I imagine it would have to be a momentary 2 way switch, since the only other axis is the slider on the throttle base.

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Systems: Falcon NW Talon: Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX 3090 FE; Falcon NW Mach V: Core i7 3930K @3.2GHz, 32GB DDR3, GTX 1080 FE

Cockpit: MonsterTech MTX F, 42" 4K TV, HP Reverb G2, Oculus Rift S, PointCTRL

Controls: RS F16SGRH CE, RS F18CGRH, VPC T-50CM2, VFX, WarBRD (Grips); VPC T-50CM2, RS FSSB R3L (Bases); Winwing F/A-18C, VPC T-50CM3, VPC T-50CM, TM Warthog, Cougar (Throttles); VPC ACE2 (Rudders)