F-18 grip, WARTHOG compatible

This is the beautiful world of 3d printing. I can make it left handed with a single mouse click. It's a 3d model that's produced straight from the printer so no re-tooling or any extra work would be required.

Sure, if someone wants a left handed version no problem. Even the throttles, with just slightly different wiring inside.

• Like 1

I wasn't supposed to spark a debate as to whether lefties are catered for in aviation. This chap wants a high-quality stick that fits his preferred hands for things that generally have nothing to do with our hypersim world. He likes space sims.

Thanks for the quick response, hegykc. :)

Edit: +Throttle

Edited by Sgt_Baker

UltraMFCD 3.0 in the works.

https://ultramfcd.com

Well, if you think about it, lots of pilots switch hands throughout their career, and I'm not just talking about military pilots.

If you're in the pilot seat in a 737, you're going to be flying the yoke with your left hand primarily, and with your right hand on the throttle.

If you fly an A330 in the pilot seat, you'd be with your left hand on the joystick as well. Then if you switch seat, it's opposite.

I don't think it would be that extremely hard to switch hands, so I don't see left handed pilots having a problem flying in the military.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

As a leftie and a PPL pilot myself I must confirm what everyone is writing here...it's not a problem. Pilot is supposed to have skills to adopt...so it is the case with different aircraft types, nobody ask you if you're a leftie or not.

However...I belive you are all missing the point. Question is for SPACE SIMS...and many space simmers want to explore an option with dual joysticks...that's why LEFT + RIGHT stick.

As a manufacturer of MFG Crosswinds I can say two things :

- don't wait for next gen 3d print technology

- keep space simmers in mind...they seem to be a large crowd, larger than "us" flight simmers...will buy in quantity and keep the project feaseable for us too :-) As hegy noted...making a mirror stick( left one) is not a problem when 3d printing

greetings to all

Milan

I was about to say, this is not only a venture for heygy in DCS but for a multitude of Flight sim platforms wiether it be WW1, 2, Modern combat or Futuristic Space. just we get first dibs on the tech for our platform lol

Know and use all the capabilities in your airplane. If you don't, sooner or later, some guy who does use them all will kick your ass.

— Dave 'Preacher' Pace, USN.

Hegykc,

You better pull this off. I think I am looking forward to your affordable stick mod almost as much as I am the F-18c release. :)

Also, congrats on your new MAT-Vs. :)

http://www.janes.com/article/50193/croatia-displays-new-afv-fleets

Edited by SageOT

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Carrier Strike Group One | Discord

How many military pilots are lefties do you think?

I never thought about it before.

Plenty, I'm sure. The fact of the matter is, when things get so complicated that extremely fine dexterity is needed, both hands are working hard anyway. (And so might be the feet, for that matter.) I fly airplanes with either hand from day to day, and honestly it only really matters (in my less complex world) if I spend all my time for a while flying from one seat, and then switch to the other. Sorry for OT. :D

If you read my last post about 60$ resin grips. There were two obstacles holding them back. The very two I just mentioned, DIY resin and faster printing. They're solved now. So hang in there, the magic show is about to start, just not today. But not so far as to be next year either. It will be monthly improvements and giant leaps forward.

So hyped!

That's right. In commercial aviation, when you are co-pilot, you fly mostly with your right hand and left hand on the throttles. When you become captain, you fly with your left hand and operate the throttles with your right hand. It's not that big deal.

I think there would be considerable demand for an Airbus-like stick for the left hand.

joystick14_480.jpg

Edited by some1

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

I've been keeping a very keen eye on this thread:D Hegykc, I'll be greatly anticipating when you get to the point of producing full-fledged Hotas' with customization options as I don't have the Warthog and for me, do not believe it's worth what it's out for. Your progress looks great and eagerly await more news:D If/when you do make Hotas' I'll be a very loyal customer! I've already told my other squadmates about you! Best wishes and I hope you don't run into too many hangups for your own sake:) Keep your chin up and great job so far :D

--=_Flying Since LOMAC_=--

Wow!! an Airbus replacement grip would be awesome!!

My rig specs:

Intel Core i7 4770 @3.4Ghz // Corsair 16GB DDR3 // MoBo Asus Z87K // HDD 1TB 7200RPM // eVGA Nvidia GTX 760GT 2GB DDR5 // LG 3D 47" 1920x1080 // Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS // Saitek Combat Pro Pedals // Thrustmaster MFD Cougar pack // PS3 Eye + FTNOIR

• 2 weeks later...

pretty please!!

Please.jpg

My rig specs:

Intel Core i7 4770 @3.4Ghz // Corsair 16GB DDR3 // MoBo Asus Z87K // HDD 1TB 7200RPM // eVGA Nvidia GTX 760GT 2GB DDR5 // LG 3D 47" 1920x1080 // Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS // Saitek Combat Pro Pedals // Thrustmaster MFD Cougar pack // PS3 Eye + FTNOIR

A few reasons for this little "down time":

1) After the very first hardened resin grip prototype/mockup turned out way better than I had hoped for, I immediately set out to improve my custom 3d printer, and set it up for production of first small batches of "beta" grips.

This required fabrication of additional components/parts for the machine, laser and plasma cutting in general, which I have to order, test, modify then order again until I get the perfect part. A bit expensive, and worse it's time consuming.

So I set out to see If, in this great age of DIY and open source, I can maybe make/assemble my own laser and plasma cutter. I built my own industrial size/quality printer so why not, all of those machines are not in direct contact with the material they're fabricating so you don't need a few tons of metal construction to get decent results, like you do with cnc machines.

And what do you know, all the parts are available for a DIY solution, and to my surprise, both laser and plasma cutter use the very same electronics and firmware I already have in my printer. It does cost some $$$ in parts and components so I have to do some boring work first, along with the research and design preparation for the laser and plasma cutters.

2) My own laser/plasma cutter will allow me to go even bigger and better with my printer design, so I need more than "just" F-18 controls. I started F-14 grips and throttles, well continued actually since I already had the research and first models already done from the very beginning. I also started Mig-21, Fw-190 and Bf-109 grips and throttles. All of which I had done research and models from before, but now it's time to prepare the models for manufacturing and electronics and warthog/X-55 compatibility.

3) Laser/plasma cutter will also allow me to make instruments and panels too, so a great deal of time, research and design preparation went into that.

4) Had to wait for all the electronics and hardware to arrive to start prototyping that part of the deal. Both for the grips&throttle, and the laser/plasma cutters.

5) My only experience with flying is the old Il-2 sturmovik series, and on a fairly amateur base regarding navigation and flying knowledge. In order to design and understand flight instruments and systems on modern aircraft I needed to know how to actually fly an airplane, not just pull the trigger. So I am proud to say I became a moderate navigator and pilot in the Mig-21Bis, and getting better each day :D Takes me more time than your average simmer, because in addition to

understanding WHAT each instrument does, I need to understand HOW it does it from the mechanical point of view.

So that's it. Just a little patch that might appear to be down time from above the surface, but down below there is a great deal of work, research and preparation being done. Sorry for the boring writeup, I too cannot wait get something real into my hands.

Here's some graphic design concepts that also take time and effort do myself:

14_zps8lsnrqvq.jpg~original

Edited by hegykc

hegykc...

Sorry but I am getting to this party late...I am truly amazed by some of the pics I've seen of your work. I have a quick question...are all of these sticks designed to use the warthog base?

Thanks in advance

Sierra

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

hegykc...

Sorry but I am getting to this party late...I am truly amazed by some of the pics I've seen of your work. I have a quick question...are all of these sticks designed to use the warthog base?

Thanks in advance

Sierra

As far as I'm aware all sticks and throttles will be compatible with both the warthog and the x55.

Hi hegykc, good to hear that your are also working on Fw-190 and Bf-109 grips and throttles. That makes your project even more interesting for me as I fly also the Il2 Sturmovic sims :-).

PC: Win 10 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 64GB RAM, GForce RTX 4090.

Cockpit & HOTAS: VKB Gunfighter MKIII with MCG PRO, Vipril MT-50 CM2, Virpil Rotor Plus & SharKa-50 grip, Thrustmaster TPR, Virpil SharKa-50 Control Panel, WinWing Phoenix MIP, WinWing PTO & PCR, Total Control Apachte MPD frames, several DIY panels, NLR GTTRACK, NLR Motion V3, ButtKicker Gamer PLUS

VR: Varjo Aero, HP Reverb G2

Yes, my own bases are also in development, which will feature metal gimbals, custom firmware, force and damping adjustability etc...

You and Milan of MFG Crosswind fame should team up.

The Crafty Croats could take over the flight sim hardware world! :-)

You and Milan of MFG Crosswind fame should team up.

The Crafty Croats could take over the flight sim hardware world! :-)

Guess who's doing my electronics and firmware, and who's doing his custom cut styrofoam packaging :music_whistling:

These crafty Croats are in it from the beginning :)

Yes, my own bases are also in development, which will feature metal gimbals, custom firmware, force and damping adjustability etc...

Can't wait for this. Can we expect these bases sometime this year?

i9 9900k - GTX 2080 Ti - MSI Z87 GD65 Mobo - 64GB HyperX Predator RGB DDR4 3200MHz - Win10 64 bit - TM Warthog w FSSB R3 mod - TrackIr 5.