Starter Button

Cowboy10uk

Have to admit, it has turned out to be a non issue anyway, I have mapped my starter button to the autopilot engage/disengage button on my Warthog, and it works a treat, really does feel like im starting the real thing. :)

If Belsimtek choose to simulate the idle cutoff, and i do hope they do, then sure move it. at the moment mo, i have found it makes no difference whatsoever.

COWBOY10UK

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

I'm in the process of mapping my 'real' helicopter controls after just downloading my first DCS title. I have a mechanical idle cutoff (C-Tek collective) so I do hope they could implement it in a similar way to the dodo sim 206.

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

Dodosim modeled this also as it should be in there Bell 206 simulator in FSX, so, there is no reason to make it unreal.

I hope it's like that, only because it's a beta! and on the final product it will be as it should be.

• 2 weeks later...

Any update if this will be implemented in the final release? IMO this module deserves the "real" startup. ;)

Throttle − Slowly advance past the engine idle stop to the engine idle position. Manually check the engine idle stop by attempting to close the throttle (not implemented in DCS: UH-1H).

+ 1

Intel i7 12700k / Corsair H150i Elite Capellix / Asus TUF Z690 Wifi D4 / Corsair Dominator 32GB 3200Mhz / Corsair HW1000W / 1x Samsung SSD 970 Evo Plus 500Gb + 1 Corsair MP600 1TB / ASUS ROG Strix RTX 3080 OC V2 / Fractal Design Meshify 2 / HOTAS Warthog / TFRP Rudder / TrackIR 5 / Dell U2515h 25" Monitor 1440p

Any update if this will be implemented in the final release? IMO this module deserves the "real" startup. ;)

I agree with Cowboy10uk and Sorcer3r.

We all have chased "simulations" for years. We've fooled by some "games" that called simulation. Finally ED has gave us the simulation (or sim-game whatever). I remember first meet with Ka-50. I was surprized, amazed, puzzled... ... Especially I did (and do) love realistic start-up sequence which is unimportant or inessential thing for some, or a step can be passed via auto-start cheat...

So, I must admit I disappoint about DCS Huey's start-up. That "was" the most thing that I wondered when it was developing. But I didn't expect it so that easy. They did flight model, mast bump, detailed 3D model and cockpit etc. There's no reason that they can't simulate start-up. I hope Belsimtek will enhance it.

Intel i7-14700@5.6GHz | MSI RTX4080 Super SuprimX | Corsair V. 32GB@6400MHz. | Samsung 1TB 990 PRO SSD (Win10Homex64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

I fell in love with "real" start procedures for the first time with PMDG's JS-41 for FSX ... It's not a great "fun" aircraft to fly, it's ridiculously expensive and the FPS is criminal...BUT! if you don't do it right it won't work and that's why I love it same with A2A stuff.(although A2A is excellent all round)

As for hardware issues I think most people that enjoy DCS will or do have the "better" type of hardware with more than enough switches and toggles etc. to not have a problem with a button they "can't see"

As far as realism goes I paid for the DCS Huey because i bought the ND Huey and the aerosoft Huey and neither gave me the "realism" so many of us hunger for. I also have the 206dodo and DCS trumps them all but "can" still be better.

As for hardware issues I think most people that enjoy DCS will or do have the "better" type of hardware with more than enough switches and toggles etc. to not have a problem with a button they "can't see"

As far as realism goes I paid for the DCS Huey because i bought the ND Huey and the aerosoft Huey and neither gave me the "realism" so many of us hunger for. I also have the 206dodo and DCS trumps them all but "can" still be better.

+1

And for people with hardware limitation the current startup could stay as an option.

The question that should be asked here is:

Is there a person who HAVE TO start the engine by clicking an in-cockpit button with a mouse ?

Because it is more convenient to have the starter button as keyboard key or HOTAS button when we start dealing with hot starts - this button NEEDS to be pressed down, while we turn off the fuel valve - because we can't just throttle down - because the idle cutoff is INOP, as its switch is now the starter... :doh:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"If a place needs helicopters, it's probably not worth visiting." - Nick Lappos

The question that should be asked here is:

Is there a person who HAVE TO start the engine by clicking an in-cockpit button with a mouse ?

Because it is more convenient to have the starter button as keyboard key or HOTAS button when we start dealing with hot starts - this button NEEDS to be pressed down, while we turn off the fuel valve - because we can't just throttle down - because the idle cutoff is INOP, as its switch is now the starter... :doh:

I agree, the starter switch not showing but being a keyboard key or HOTAS button is better, with the idle cut off being operational.

Kirk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The start-up sequence in this Huey manual is basically a copy of one in the dash-10 document for the real thing, with some of the optional equipment thrown out. Of course the yellow text is where the DCS:Huey is diverging with the real thing.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"If a place needs helicopters, it's probably not worth visiting." - Nick Lappos

• 4 weeks later...
The hardware limitations of the general public makes the process hard to simulate without custom hardware. Think of the A10, you have to manually lift the throttle to start/shutdown the engines. This is the ONLY part of the Huey that is not 100%. Within reason, of course.

True, however the solution to the problem with the A-10 wasn't to reassign other switches to perform the function of starting the engines. ED simply included the commands in the input editor and assigned keys to them.

I don't understand why the starter button absolutely has to be clickable rather than a keyboard binding or HOTAS assignment.

Asus Z690 Hero | 12900K | 64GB G.Skill 6000 | 4090FE | Reverb G2 | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 + TM Grips  | Winwing Orion2 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals

True, however the solution to the problem with the A-10 wasn't to reassign other switches to perform the function of starting the engines. ED simply included the commands in the input editor and assigned keys to them.

I don't understand why the starter button absolutely has to be clickable rather than a keyboard binding or HOTAS assignment.

exactly..

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]W10(64bit)Asus Rog Strix Z370-F - i7 8700K - Dark Rock Pro 4 - 16 giga ram Corsair vengeance 3000 - MSI RTX 2070 Super - Asus Rog Phobeus soundcard - Z906 Surround speaker - Track ir5 - HOTAS Warthog

I think were missing the real point here. What if an asteroid hit earth and 90% of the population was destroyed. The rest of the populations would have to get together and re-build in order to survive. This means transporting them from their current location to the new location - this will require Huey pilots.

But since most real Huey pilots might be around, it'll fall to us - the Simmers to operate those Huey and bring the people together. Now if I make the bold claim to the remaining society that I can fly the Huey and then look like an idiot looking for the start button - I might get put in some sort of confinement. Having the starter switch in the wrong location during my simulated training could mean the difference between my freedom or solitude.

Ok enough joking around. If the button can't be seen and needed to be moved, let them. Who's to say that in some future release from Bell Helicopters there won't be a Huey model that will actually have the starter switch on the front?

Of all the things to spend development time on, I'd put relocation of starter switch to the bottom.

Coder - Oculus Rift Guy - Court Jester

Hi guys, I am just wondering, am I the only one who is feeling slightly disappointed with the decision to move the starter button from the bottom of the collective to the top In place of the idle stop release button.

Definitely will not be buying till they correct that. Putting in fake controls, or putting them in incorrect positions totally kill any sale to me.

If I want crap like that, I'll just buy Arma or FC3.

"Isn't this fun!?" - Inglorious Bastards

"I rode a tank, held a general's rank / When the Blitzkrieg raged, and the bodies stank!" - Stones.

Definitely will not be buying till they correct that. Putting in fake controls, or putting them in incorrect positions totally kill any sale to me.

If you're using anything other than a 100% accurate UH-1H cockpit to sim in, they should probably refuse to sell it to you... :)

BTW, the starter button was the first bug I submitted when I began testing so I agree with you, I just choose to communicate differently.

Childish ranting is certainly fun, but stating your opinion like an adult is usually more productive.

- Bear

Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

- Robert A. Heinlein

That's like complaining the Ferrari you wanted to buy has no cup holders...

i5 4590 @ 3.77GHz | GTX 1060 6GB | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 | 1TB HDD+500GB HDD | Win10 Home X64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'd definitely ask (politely) for the cup holders though! :)

- Bear

Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

- Robert A. Heinlein