Aries Radio System

towsim

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will mask modification be available for FC3 planes?

And all other features... For example emer. radio beacon R-855UM transmits tone signal on 121.5 MHz, and rescue airplanes/helicopters can find you (Mi-8 has ARK-UD it can receive both 243 and 121,5). Also, it works as a transmitter/receiver on the same frequency.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Реальные хотелки к ЛО3 по Су-25 в основном...

ASRock PG9, i-5 9600KF, MSI 2080Ti, 32GB 3466

In the coming release, mask modification is available for A10C, F86 and MIG21. Moore Typs weil be supported there after. The locator beacon is subject of investigation. I need to findout, which types are equipped with a locator beacon. All informations are welcome.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

For example emer. radio beacon R-855UM transmits tone signal on 121.5 MHz, and rescue airplanes/helicopters can find you (Mi-8 has ARK-UD it can receive both 243 and 121,5). Also, it works as a transmitter/receiver on the same frequency.

It would be awesome to have a trackable pilot object that shows in multiplayer, but that's up to ED to change.

What you can do is use a script to spawn "pilots" (as infantry) at the position a pilot ejects (currently spawning them on the ground and not where the parachute actually lands) and have them transmit a beacon sound...

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

From the technical point of view, the beacon is attached to the aircraft and is initiated if the ejector seat leaves the cockpit. Once the aircraft crashes on ground, the beacon is destroyed and stops. The pilot (at least in western aircraft) have a walkie talkie stored in their live west. If they land on ground , they can use it to communicate with SAR . SAR can measure a bearing to the transmitter to find the pilot on the shortest way. DCS has some limitations. One is the missing coordinates of the pilot. There a no location information published which could be used to calculate a bearing. The other is, that DCS does not know about the locator beacon. Therefore it cannot produce a bearing. Some tests have shown, that it is possible to set a bearing in the HSI. But as soon as a new frame is calculated it is overwritten by DCS with its own bearing. So I am afraid, that the current locator beacon support cannot be enhanced. Mission scripting could be a solution. But I find it too complicated for normal users to include a script in their missions. On the other hand, I am open for all suggestions.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sounds great guys. I have been using Aries a lot over the past few weeks and it has been great. The only feedback I would have so far is:

-Would be great to have a mic click generated when transmitting as well as when receiving.

-We have had problems with one particular client. When he joins all his quality levels immediately default to 0. In general joining clients seem to affect quality setting even if I keep hold of "game master" which means I often have to reset them back to where we prefer.

-Would be great to make the radios (at least for CA) the full frequency range so you could have up to three VHF FM freqs (for instance).

-Cipher for CA as previously discussed :)

-Maybe even a "troops in contact" toggle for CA which when selected would generate background noise of gun fire etc

Keep up the awesome work, looking forward to the update.

[url=http://www.aef-hq.com.au/aef4/forumdisplay.php?262-Digital-Combat-Simulator][SIGPIC]http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/2500/a10161sqnsignitureedite.png[/SIGPIC][/url]

These scripts already exist... search for Medevac script or CSAR script. Unfortunately, it is just possible to get the EJECT event from the scripting engine, thus the "downed pilot" will spawn at the coordinates, he ejected, and not where the parachutist goes down. So after you eject, you may watch a helicopter picking up your pilot, while still parachuting down... currently, that's the best a script can do, I guess.

Edited by shagrat

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Version 1.954 of Aries Airborne Radio

Dear Aries Radio users,

Version 1.954 of Aries Airborne Radio is ready for download. It took a bit longer than normal for this version because of basic internal changes and a lot of new features which were described in post #443 of this thread .

I have to say 'thank you' for the contribution of 10th Gunfighters during the development and test phase and even to some forum members who helped with some tips and hints.

The installation package contains a ReadMe.txt file which should be read before you install the new version. It even contains a list of known bugs (nothing serious, as far as we could test it out).

The new version is available on the download page of Aries Wings:

http://ariescon.com/index10.html

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

@Kaiza

The Cipher will be integrated next for the CA radio and even a encryption key upload.

To have Gunfire or something similar in the background is complicated because DCS does not publish position information for CA vehicles or for a commander and even no type information. Aries Radio assumes a CA condition every time if DCS stops publishing position information. This can be observed if someone changes to the spectator view to change the aircraft. In that moment Aries Radio changes to the standard CA frequency setting.

The problem with the quality setting will be observed.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

From the technical point of view, the beacon is attached to the aircraft and is initiated if the ejector seat leaves the cockpit. Once the aircraft crashes on ground, the beacon is destroyed and stops. The pilot (at least in western aircraft) have a walkie talkie stored in their live west. If they land on ground , they can use it to communicate with SAR . SAR can measure a bearing to the transmitter to find the pilot on the shortest way. DCS has some limitations. One is the missing coordinates of the pilot. There a no location information published which could be used to calculate a bearing. The other is, that DCS does not know about the locator beacon. Therefore it cannot produce a bearing. Some tests have shown, that it is possible to set a bearing in the HSI. But as soon as a new frame is calculated it is overwritten by DCS with its own bearing. So I am afraid, that the current locator beacon support cannot be enhanced. Mission scripting could be a solution. But I find it too complicated for normal users to include a script in their missions. On the other hand, I am open for all suggestions.

Russian SAR beacon working same (I think it was made on the base of american). Some info in english: http://www.flightgear.dk/r855um.htm It is included in suvival kit NAZ-7.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Реальные хотелки к ЛО3 по Су-25 в основном...

ASRock PG9, i-5 9600KF, MSI 2080Ti, 32GB 3466

Hi Towsim, and ty for this application.

We are experiensing TS crash with this mod installed, but with it disabled in plugins when we start a multiplayer session where we dont want to use Aeris.

How do we prevent this?

There are two recommended options to disable the Aries TS plugin:

http://www.10thgunfighters.ch/Geschwader/ATC/Aries_Plugin.jpg

2. Disable the Export.lua entry manually.

http://www.10thgunfighters.ch/Geschwader/ATC/Aries_Plugin_Export.jpg

Both options execute the same command!

Edited by Schleudi
  • Like 1

Not correct when talking about ACES II (F-15 & A-10 ejection seats). The seat contains a Radio Locator Beacon in the survival kit, not part of the aircraft. During training operations we have to ensure the beacon is set to "ON" during our inspections, in combat operations it is turned off, otherwise enemy units could key in on the beacon as well.

From the C-1

RADIO LOCATOR BEACON.

The radio locator beacon is activated and its antenna is deployed

automatically at seat/pilot separation. A control switch is provided

in the left side, forward edge of the seat pan, to permit

overriding the automatic operation of this beacon.

We just tested this item and we can confirm, that it is a Aries Bug. It seems, that uninitialized objects are cleaned up on exit. We will work on it.

For the frequency issue I have to inspect the source code. I will post the result here in.

Thanks for the report

Edited by towsim

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

@paulrkiii

on your push I am thinking on a function to calculate a ballistic trajectory for the seat, based on the aircraft parameter at bailout. So I could attach the transmitter to the seat.

Copy, also noticed the actual switch isn't even modeled in the sym.

Also, it appears the degradation is overdone based on Eddie and my experience. Me specifically for the A-10 radios, we seem to have degradation so bad even when set to the maximum quality you can't understand the aircraft parked directly next to you on an open ramp. I've done radio checks and/or been on the intercom with pilots testing radios on separate sides of an airfield and it's clearer than in Aries.

Secondly, did you purposely make the rotary on the intercom panel move with mic clicks? normal airborne operations, the rotary switch should stay in the VHF position, since it has no effect on VHF/FM or UHF transmission. The only time the rotary switch needs to be moved is when you desire to use MIC-FWD to speak on the interphone, in which case, the rotary should be moved from VHF to INT.

Edited by Snoopy

Hi towsim,

yesterday night and today we I've been testing the new version and we like the new features. But we encountered the same issues concerning voice degradation with the A-10C pointed out by paulrkiii. With FC3 and Mig21bis degradation was good, as in previous version. Also, communication block out seems not working at all, and when two people speak on the same channel one can hear a terrible noise on the speakers. One last thing that maybe is subjective, but It seems to me that now Aries loses synchronization more easily when there is some lag on the connection.

Thanks for your work !!

2) Some problems contacting IA Tankers and Towers. For some clients it works, for others don't and we could not figure out why.

We are getting the same problem. Cannot find the reason

My TM Warthog DIY extension tutorial

C2Duo E8600 @ 4.4Ghz. | Asus Rampage Formula X48 | MSI GTX 560Ti OC |

8Gb.Corsair DDR2 RAM @ 1103Mhz. | Crucial M4 128Gb. SSD | 850W. PSU |

HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Pedals | TIR 5 | Helios | 24" Monitor/22" Touchscreen

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

But this terrible noise heared by a third person when two pilots are transmiting at the same time on the same frequency is real?

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

But this terrible noise heared by a third person when two pilots are transmiting at the same time on the same frequency is real?

Yes it is.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

Also, it appears the degradation is overdone based on Eddie and my experience. Me specifically for the A-10 radios, we seem to have degradation so bad even when set to the maximum quality you can't understand the aircraft parked directly next to you on an open ramp.

That's interesting. Does this occur on all airfields or on a single one? If you remember, can you tell us which ramp on which airfield? I assume it happened with A-10C`s?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ariescon.com

Intel i7-6700K | 32GB RAM | NVIDIA GTX 1080 | 1TB m.2 SSD | TM Warthog | Logitech G-35 | TrackIR 5 | Windows 10 Ultimate 64bit | 3 monitor setup @5760x1080 | Occulus Rift