Aries Radio System

towsim

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What we found in our test today is:

- the frequency set under "Comm" is well working except for VHF FM. Maybe KC-135 is not capable of VHF FM. No problems with connection to the tanker via UHF and VHF AM.

- When the frequency is set or altered via the "advanced waypont menu" communication with the tanker is not working or at least not stable. Every mission from former DCS versions which have frequency entries in the "advanced waypoint menu" are quite likely not to work as intended due to the problem described above.

- there is a strange behaviour in reliance with the distance to the tanker. Sometimes we found, that we have to be very close (about half a mile) to get an answer or the answer to a refuelling request is delayed by up to a minute.

As for now we believe that these are problems not caused by Aries. However, we are aware that you reported things working fine with Aries deactivated. We will check on that and report back tomorrow. Thank you for your patience.

This was tested with 3 Pilots in 3x A-10C on two different servers under original DCS and open beta latest version and also with Aries version 1.955. MP & SP.

Can anybody confirm our findings?

Edited by Leto

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ariescon.com

Intel i7-6700K | 32GB RAM | NVIDIA GTX 1080 | 1TB m.2 SSD | TM Warthog | Logitech G-35 | TrackIR 5 | Windows 10 Ultimate 64bit | 3 monitor setup @5760x1080 | Occulus Rift

@LowLee

Could you check even HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\AriesWings. The protocol entry seem not to be right. If you say standalone folder, do you mean the regular DCS folder or the Aries Radio standalone version?

I checked the reg and it is correct.

Sorry, I said standalone but I mean DCS World stable version (not open beta).

Aries works fine on each versions DCS but if I need to change the aries openbeta configuration, I have to copy the ariesairborneradio.ini from the DCS World folder to the DCS openbeta folder. It is not a big problem, but I don't understand what's happening. :(

Fletto i muscoli...e sono nel vuoto

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

What we found in our test today is:

- When the frequency is set or altered via the "advanced waypont menu" communication with the tanker is not working or at least not stable. Every mission from former DCS versions which have frequency entries in the "advanced waypoint menu" are quite likely not to work as intended due to the problem described above.

Leto, the miz file I provided to Towsim was created in the latest version of DCS. It's not an old DCS mission. It's literally the simplest tanker mission I can generate. The Advanced Waypoint Menu is not touched at all. By default, adding a tanker to a mission will use Comm freq 251.00. Towsim replied yesterday that he observed the exact behavior I did. Which is as follows: disconnect Aries from export.lua, and the tanker responds. reconnect Aries in the Export.lua, and the tanker does not respond. It doesn't get any simpler than that. I am even willing to record a video of my desktop to illustrate this to you if it helps.

- there is a strange behaviour in reliance with the distance to the tanker. Sometimes we found, that we have to be very close (about half a mile) to get an answer or the answer to a refuelling request is delayed by up to a minute.

I am not observing this behavior at all.

As for now we believe that these are problems not caused by Aries. However, we are aware that you reported things working fine with Aries deactivated. We will check on that and report back tomorrow. Thank you for your patience.

This is the key question. I can create a brand new, extremely simple miz (which I just did a second time). This time changing the freq in the Comm menu to 225, and again, not touching the Advanced Waypoint Menu at all. I do have to create a single simple waypoint for the Tanker to fly to, because if not, it won't activate at all as an available tanker in the AI radio menu. But again, advanced waypoint menu is not touched. With Aries activated, no tanker response on 225. With Aries de-activated, tanker responds every time.

This was tested with 3 Pilots in 3x A-10C on two different servers under original DCS and open beta latest version and also with Aries version 1.955. MP & SP.

Can anybody confirm our findings?

I am happy to test this. Ideally, can you provide your miz file this time? Also, I am happy to put it on my dedicated server, provide you with a password, and we can test together from a common environment. Again, this, sounds like a different issue than what I am reporting, as I'm not observing this behavior at all.

Thank you again for your time.

Edited by Dojo

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

@LowLee

Sorry, I didn't read your posting that exact. The key is, the Open Beta configurator takes the path from

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\AriesWings\DCSWorldPathOB

Have a look to this registry entry and check if the path matches the real open beta location. If not, you should enter the right path and try it again.You can even send me the log file of the Open Beta Configurator to support@ariescon.com. It should be found at:

\DCS World OpenBeta\AriesWings\AriesConfiguratorOB_log.html

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

@Dojo

I think I was too fast with my bug hunting. In the yesterday test, my fellow pilots used the official 1.955 version while I used the modified LUAC. The surprise was, that all pilots could get in contact with the tanker and that with the older LUAC. So what I did today was to repeat the test with your Mission and the old LUAC. And it was successful. The only remarkable situation was, that I had to call the tanker twice for initial contact. Now I am a bit lost, because I cannot produce the error anymore. We have another session this night and we will discuss how to come together.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Now I am a bit lost

Me too :)

I will stand down for now. I don't really know what to make of this.

The heads of my squadron have indicated the issue isn't sufficient for us to revert to TARS, but being unable to refuel certainly drastically affects play.

Do let me know if there is anything else I can provide to help you diagnostically.

Regards

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I just got it to work. I was frustrated, couldn't drop it.

It's working now after two re-installs. Again, after the first re-install, it wasn't working. During the second re-install, I did the following:

1. Close TS.

2. Uninstall Aries using Program menu.

3. Go to TS install directory, and delete AriesRadio folder from here: ...\TeamSpeak 3 Client\plugins\

4. Go to DCS World install directory and delete the AriesWings directory.

5. Re-install Aries as per previous instructions.

Single player, multiplayer, old missions with Advanced Waypoints, and comms menu configured freqs are all working now.

I'll get other members of the 476th who are also having the problem to follow these steps to confirm if this is indeed a solution.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Towsim,

Separate from the "tanker not responding issue", which appears to be resolved by a completely *clean* install, can you confirm you will be removing the new function which couples the Rotary selector to the PTT in the A10?

This is less urgent than the previous issue of course, but should be fixed as it has the potential to cut off comms while transmitting.

Thanks again for all you and the team have done.

Regards

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Towsim,

Separate from the "tanker not responding issue", which appears to be resolved by a completely *clean* install, can you confirm you will be removing the new function which couples the Rotary selector to the PTT in the A10?

This is less urgent than the previous issue of course, but should be fixed as it has the potential to cut off comms while transmitting.

Thanks again for all you and the team have done.

Regards

From a few pages back, see bold text below.

@HMA

it was the unfortunate attempt to connect the rotary switch to the radio selection, like in the Huey. I think it is only one way in real life. Means, if you set the rotary switch, a specific radio or intercom is selected for transmission. If you select a radio with HOTAS throttle coolie (mic switch), the rotary switch should be unaffected. I will change it with the next release. The behavior after reconnect is strange because all variables in the DLL are set to initial values. The rotary switch should be in the empty position (no label) and no radio is selected in the Aries Radio panel. Nevertheless, I will test it out.

Tried the tanker on VHF last night in our training mission. No joy. We haven't switched off Aries but at least we get the same result.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commodore 64 | MOS6510 | VIC-II | SID6581 | DD 1541 | KCS Power Cartridge | 64Kb | 32Kb external | Arcade Turbo

@Looney, I have just tested on our standard training mission v. 1.8 and it works fine for me both single and multiplayer.

I recently done an complete reinstall of Aries, TS and DCS due to other problems due to disconnection problems etc..

I am pretty sure that I have achieved somewhat similar result as @Dojo as I removed everything I could find related to Aries and TS in the process.

Cheers

Hans

Gents, thanks for your input. We found one reason for random discrepancies in voice quality differences when a large number of players log in on a server or there is a lot of connect/disconnect going on. We are working on that and on a couple of other issues. Again, thank you for your feedback and your patience. Much appreciated.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ariescon.com

Intel i7-6700K | 32GB RAM | NVIDIA GTX 1080 | 1TB m.2 SSD | TM Warthog | Logitech G-35 | TrackIR 5 | Windows 10 Ultimate 64bit | 3 monitor setup @5760x1080 | Occulus Rift

Gents, thanks for your input. We found one reason for random discrepancies in voice quality differences when a large number of players log in on a server or there is a lot of connect/disconnect going on. We are working on that and on a couple of other issues. Again, thank you for your feedback and your patience. Much appreciated.

Good work, and thanks for your effort :)

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes

turned skyward for there you have been, and there you will always long to return"

Neck.png

132nd Public documents - Want to apply? - 132nd Youtube channel - 132nd Discord Channel

We have still troubles while ending a mission. DCS hangs at mission end. We are working on it...

Yep that hang on mission end is a pain.

Seems to be a clash with your "RADIO MOD" and the "server SLMOD".

• Have SLMOD installed, have ARIES RADIO MOD loaded, Load single player mission, play with radio frequencies and generally use Aries interface, Quit DCS = Lockup
  • Have SLMOD disabled, Have ARIES RADIO MOD loaded, Load single player mission, play with radio frequencies and generally use Aries interface, Quit DCS = NO Lockup

Limited testing, but it seems if you disable SLMOD, you can use ARIES RADIO MOD without DCS locking up after exiting the game.

Hope this might be helpful

Regards, Ian

Edited by MadDog-IC

Asus p877v-pro, Intel I7 3770k 4.2ghz, 32gb Ripjaw X ram, Nvidia RTX-2070 Super, Samsung 32" TV, Saitek x52 pro Joystick and Combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Win8.1 x64 with SSD and SSHD protected by (Avast AV).

DCS Tech Support.

In our squad we are experience problems with Aries. Some related with previous post, some with an unkmown origin.

First, we have deep audio quality discrepancies between clients. Even for players who are flying next to each other only a hundred of meters. Some hear aries with good quality the way the effects and radio levels are setted but others hear radio really bad with cuts, noise and very poor quality.

We are no more than 10-12 clients at the same time.

Another issue. Every time someone is connecting or disconnecting from the server with the mission going on causes a terrible effect in Aries. It starts to fail randomly for different clients. Some suffers a reset in the frequencies. All changes to 0 and it takes time to recover Aries to proper function.

Others suffer a TS break off. TS stops running and get it reconnected automatically with a lose of Aries radio effects for some time.

Others must close TS and make it run again to recover Aries working again, most of the times without recovering aries effects.

And the worst effect but i dont know if this is because Aries or not. Sometimes TS get closed.

All this problems are happening when clients are entering or exiting the server running a mission, except the audio quality difference that could happen from the begining. Also everytime a new client enter the server i must force the audio quality settings again if all want to hear and be heared the same.

We as a squad are really happy with this great piece of software and we only want to help in polishing it and find possible issues and bugs to be ironed.

Thanks for all.

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

I am working on this issue and we localized the module which causes the bug. I beg your patience for a couple of days. We need to test the version before we release it.

The bug release will fix the login issue and the problem with different devices used for PTT. We will even publish the Gossip Box and the airborne radio in one Package to avoid version issues. Please take note, the next release experienced some changes in the internet message format. Versions before 1.96 will not work together with the next release.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks !!

The patience, kind, work and community support from you and your team is getting legendary.

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

Tanker Contact Issue

Dear Aries users,

during one of our test sessions we could exactly determine the tanker contact issue and the contact to other DCS controlled stations. The reason is the volume control of the radio box involved. Since the volume slider of the Aries Radio Panel is connected to the volume control of the respective box, it can happen, that the volume is set to NULL on startup. In this case, even if you are on the right frequency and box, the tanker's answer is not audible and no text line appears with the answer. Nevertheless, the tanker got the request and switches on the lights. In addition, DCS evaluates the buttons on the intercom panel. If the volume of the box and/or the common volume control is close to zero, the same issue comes up. The latter case is not that dangerous because the intercom panel volume defaults to maximum on startup. If the tanker does not respond, check the sliders of the Aries Radio Panel and move them close to the most right position.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]