How come no UNCAGE mode for Sidewinder?

Is there an UNCAGE command for AIM-9M in F-15C that I missed?

I recall in Jane's F-15 and in Falcon4, you could effectively dogfight without radar with just EEGS and uncaged Sidewinder. Sae goes for A-10. this 2 deggree longitudal aiming mode for AIM-9M is not realistic enough.

DaveR

Guest EVIL-SCOTSMAN

there is an uncage mode, read the manual and you will see it in there, its the 5 or 6 button and something else, i dont fly the easy 15, so i cant really help ya.

If that tiny little 2deg. circle is really all an A10 pilot gets- yikes. There was some kind of glitch or what have you that would cause the uncaged reticle (like seen in the F15's #6) to appear in the A10 at times. You'd see it randomly and think whoa- what did I just push to get that? We have been told that it was not supposed to be there, and I have not seen it for a long time now. Whatever it was- it's not there now.

Why the same missile apparently has a different view limit (uncaged) than the F15- I'm not sure.

No roving gnome for uncaged winder

There is longitudal aiming mode in F15C and A10 in LOMAC/FC, but thats not true uncaged mode. In uncaged mode you get a wandering designator carret, that represents the seeker gimballing in quasi-random or helical search patern, on its own, independent of radar. In all F15C modes, with exception of longitudal and boresight, the AIM-9 seeker is slaved to radar. Thus it is caged. The nice thing about uncaged mode, is that it allows you to approach and launch, usually from rear, without ever having to use on-board radar. Its aerial assasination.

The wondering seeker diamond should be there anytime the missile is sniffing something. I dont know why all SIM's chose to have insta-lock. Even in falcon 4 (though it used to be there).

IMHO its an all time disapointement every SIM i get I no longer have those precious tactical moments where Im am, or I know my enemy is trying to lock a heat seeker, because it takes a few seconds. but now there is no chance because it lock as soon as its selected. This is wrong because with the possible exception of the lates gen IIR missiles the lock usualy takes a 2-3 seconds or more if your using an AIM-9J/P or earlier versions. We should have gotten these ingame incase we wanted to do an early 80's fashion dogights with pilots fighting to get the others 6, now we just fire from any angle. This could complement fights like guns ony to rear aspect only as well. AIM-9J VS Aphid, or atoll.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

The wondering seeker diamond should be there anytime the missile is sniffing something. I dont know why all SIM's chose to have insta-lock. Even in falcon 4 (though it used to be there).

IMHO its an all time disapointement every SIM i get I no longer have those precious tactical moments where Im am, or I know my enemy is trying to lock a heat seeker, because it takes a few seconds. but now there is no chance because it lock as soon as its selected. This is wrong because with the possible exception of the lates gen IIR missiles the lock usualy takes a 2-3 seconds or more if your using an AIM-9J/P or earlier versions. We should have gotten these ingame incase we wanted to do an early 80's fashion dogights with pilots fighting to get the others 6, now we just fire from any angle. This could complement fights like guns ony to rear aspect only as well. AIM-9J VS Aphid, or atoll.

Let's start lobbying this feature.. after all LockOn is getting AWFM... shouldn't there be realistic targeting to go with that?

i7-2600k@4GHz, 8GB, R9 280X 3GB, SSD, HOTAS WH, Pro Flight Combat Pedals, TIR5

Yes I second that. I dont know why this feature is so often ommited on SIM's that aim so high in the realism level and fail to materialise these kind of things.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

Nice!

I'm not complaining. I just said YIKES. :D I am curious though about the differences in the seeker's field of view vs. what's -apparently- in the F15. I reckon it just seems odd to me that the pilot would have to work that hard to obtain & maintain a lock. I understand it's not an air to air platform, but given it's relatively high vulnerability to fast movers I'm just surprised that the missile has such a narrow view- until it's released.

The missile's FOV is about 2.5 deg (last I checked info on the sidewinder anyway). The gimbals are around 25-30 deg ... more for the X.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

A missile can track a target within its gimbals, but it can only acquire a target within its FoV. I know what you mean though - the problem here is that if the target is outside the FoV, the missile cannot acquire it, and setting it to 'search' would likely not give you good results since the gimbals are so wide and the fov is so narrow.

If you mean that you should be able to uncage and the seeker should stay on the target within its gimbals AFTER acquisition though, I agree.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda