Anybody figure out how to change FOV in the new patch?

Spitfire2170

Holy smokes! You must have a devil of a time spotting distant specks, unless you have an enormous monitor. With my monitor & eye-to-monitor distance, 75 degrees FoV is something like half of the real-life image size (while still only offering about half of my real-life FoV, alas!). That's why I set my max zoom (min FoV) to 30 degrees--that's roughly the real-life image size for my monitor size/distance.

The reason for that number is that the default max zoom was so extreme I never used it and felt it was unnatural. I have flown 90% of my time online with just the normal zoom. I feel any magnification effect should just mimic a concentrated focus. I could never scan the sky around me for bandits with that incredible zoom. If there is a small speck I can't see good enough... I fly closer.

I may modify it some going forward but that's the cool part of us all having the ability to customize these settings. :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

[Dogs of War] WWII COMBAT SERVER | P-51D - FW190-D9 - Me109-K4

Visit Our Website & Forum to Get More Info & Team Speak Access

There is for me... staring at it right now.

/Saved Games/DCS/Config/View/

Okay fixed it..had to copy it outside of folder and edit it..and then it saved..now setting are done...thanks..gents...:thumbup:

[/Table]

Recruiting for Aerobatic Team/Fighter Group...

Regarding the P-51 view.

When I'm in the cockpit it would seem my pilot is 6inches too tall, how can I make him shorter? When trying to aquire targets with the gun sight I find half the time the gun sight appears to be above the reflector and of no use. I use TrackIR and normally have to sit up high in my chair then centre the view then sink back down to use the gun sight. Needless to say you don't have time for such nonsense when being riddled with holes while trying to get a bead on your intended quary.

When I'm in the cockpit it would seem my pilot is 6inches too tall, how can I make him shorter?

By saving a new default cockpit view .

Here is a step by step example what you need to do after you switched on "user snap view saving" in the DCS Miscellaneous (Misc.) option page.

>>> http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=1844829#post1844829

People of the (DCS) World!

Stop telling others to edit the snap-views.lua with a editor.

Don't make tasks like this more difficult as they are.

There is no need to use a file-editor without having any visual feedback what you are doing !!

Edited by PeterP

Here is a step by step example what you need to do after you switched on "user snap view saving" in the DCS Miscellaneous (Misc.) opotion page.

There is no need to use a file-editor without having any visual feedback what you are doing

Wow! That is a lot easier. If I had to do it all over again, I'd use your method to get the basic view and then the snapview file to do fine-tuning, but the latter probably is completely unnecessary. Once again, hats off, Peter.

There is no need to use a file-editor without having any visual feedback what you are doing !!

Woa, BOLD type and double exclamation. :huh:

I have used several of your walk-thoughs and they have worked great. In this particular instance I was speaking about min/max zoom setting and editing the server.lua file was my preferred way of adjusting the view. It's a simple one line change and I like seeing the values in front of me. However, I'd be happy to refer anyone who asks again to your tutorial to avoid being yelled at.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Woa, BOLD type and double exclamation. :huh:

I have used several of your walk-thoughs and they have worked great. In this particular instance I was speaking about min/max zoom setting and editingthe server.lua file was my preferred way of adjusting the view. It's a simple one line change and I like seeing the values in front of me. However, I'd be happy to refer anyone who asks again to your tutorial to avoid being yelled at.

Next time before stating that I'm "yelling" at you and taking it personal ,because you think that I respond only to you, - read/quote my whole post.

Edited by PeterP

Next time before stating that I'm "yelling" at you and taking it personal ,because you think that I respond only to you, - read/quote my whole post.

Maybe it's because it is my first day on the interwebs, but bold type followed by exclamation marks is generally interpreted as "yelling". I even began my reply with a compliment in an attempt to avoid such a caustic reaction from you... and you claim I am the one taking things personally. Also, I never claimed you were responding to me alone, did I? I think, despite not being your only target, I am still allowed to type a response.

And despite your allegations, I actually did read your entire post. The part I referred to still remains in your super-sized version you so thoughtfully provided:)

Originally Posted by PeterP viewpost.gif

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I even began my reply with a compliment in an attempt to avoid such a caustic reaction from you... and you claim I am the one taking things personally.

Originally Posted by PeterP viewpost.gif

Wow stuff got real fella's.

This is the internet and you are both decent blokes, I think this is a failure in humor translation.

Wow stuff got real fella's.

This is the internet and you are both decent blokes, I think this is a failure in humor translation.

Yea I admit that was silly on my part and my fuse was quite short at that moment. Big repect for PeterP. I know he is a great asset to the community and he has offered up some really great help. :beer: (too early for beers?)

Is the Kickstarter up yet?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

1.2.6 seems to have changed something fundamental with the views. If I use my old view files I get a different view than in 1.2.5. With a little tweaking however, I can get the view to work pretty well like I want it with my old view files.

If I apply the same numeric changes I have in my tweaked 1.2.5 files to the "server.lua" and "snapviewsdefault.lua" of 1.2.6 I get an entirely different and unusable view.

What's going on here?

EDIT: It seems any changes to the server.lua aren't being picked up at all (editing A-10c)

Edited by Boris

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

1.2.6 seems to have changed something fundamental with the views.

If I apply the same numeric changes I have in my tweaked 1.2.5 files to the "server.lua" and "snapviewsdefault.lua" of 1.2.6 I get an entirely different and unusable view.

Oh, dear ... I suspected this was going to happen sooner or later. Well, I guess it's time for me to figure out the new system. : )

for me it seems it is ignoring the server.lua from my Saved Games Files\DCS\Config\View althogether.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

for me it seems it is ignoring the server.lua from my Saved Games Files\DCS\Config\View althogether.

Yeah, but it always ignored the server.lua in that location, even in older versions, at least for me. Now, any changes made to the server.lua in the DCSWorld\Config\View are ignored too.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

No... for me until 1.2.5 worked as in the readme from DCS World/Config/View. Now it is ignored. I'll try to test with direct modification of the stock file in stock location.

UH1H and Mi-8 have a view.lua of them selves in their folders. I needed to modify them so the game will obey my preferences for those planes.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

• 2 months later...

anybody figured out how to change FOV in the new version???

I was out for 1 year and now I see I can't use my 3 screens setup anymore with this new version !!!

Are you kinding us ED ???

I was about to setup a dedicated server but if the FOV stuff doesn't work anymore I will go back to ARMA3 !!!

Thanks for answering HOW TO SET the FOV in the news version please !!!

Asus ROG G701VI 6820HK@4Ghz GTX1080 - HTC VIVE

• 4 weeks later...

which LUA File did you change?? I am Broke and default view seems stuck at 20deg..

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

Oh, dear ... I suspected this was going to happen sooner or later. Well, I guess it's time for me to figure out the new system. : )

Any Word on this yet??

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

• 4 weeks later...
Any Word on this yet??

doesn't look like it. PITA for me so far. I haven't flown in 6 months and now in the A-10C full zoom out isn't even close to what I need. I just want to set the min/max FOV to something like 30/175. I run on 3+1 screens and the default max FOV isn't even close to enough. It was easy before....view.lua had settings for each airframe. Just to be clear to those discussing editing the server/snap luas for default view - it's not a single default i want to change; I want to set the min and max that apply to the zoom keys.

Any Word on this yet??

Due to my hand injuries, I am unable to fly flight sims at present. As soon as my hand is up to it, I assure you that I will be rejoining this excellent sim with all speed. If/when that time comes, I will investigate the latest view file system. Good luck.

• 2 months later...

Bump, anyone please figured out how to change the default min 20 deg FOV ? I'm now flying Su25A a lot and I'd really like to tweak this a little but, as mentioned earlier, editing the DCS World\Config\View\Server.lua CameraViewAngleLimits parameter doesn't do the trick.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Elite, Intel i9 9900K, Fractal Design Kelvin S36, Zotac GTX 1070 8GB AMP Extreme, 32GB DDR4 HyperX CL15 Predator Series @ 3000 MHz, Kingston SSD 240GB (OS), Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 NVMe (sim), Fractal Design Define R5 Black Window, EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2, Win 10 Home x64, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Thrustmaster MFD Cougar Pack, TrackIR (DelanClip), 3x 27" BenQ EW2740L, Oculus Rift S

Did you try the Snapview.lua?PeterP has a fix for it..worked for me in 1.27.:thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] SMOKE'M:smoke: IF YA GOT'M!:gun_rifle:

H2o Cooler I7 9700k GA 390x MB Win 10 pro

Evga RTX 2070 8Gig DD5

32 Gig Corsair Vengence, 2T SSD.

TM.Warthog:joystick: :punk:, CV-1:matrix:,3x23" monitors, Tm MFD's, Saitek pro rudders wrapped up in 2 sheets of plywood:megalol: