OT Starforce Challenge

Wags

Guest IguanaKing

IK, you're right about the intentions of SF. But when they toot their horn and say nobody beat the challenge, they won't be yelling that the rules prohibited a normal PC build. Do you think anybody out there has only Windows and LOMAC on their machines?

No, I don't think that, but I also don't think the reason for that rule is to eliminate contestants before they even participate. It is in the interest of keeping things scientific. Most people have problems with their machines due to a combination of factors/conflicts, not because of just one piece of software. ;)

I think I said that Rep was a popularity contest, not a PR ploy, but I could be wrong. As far as I can tell, once you give rep to somebody, you can't give it to them again, no matter how deserving.

No, I think you just have to give rep to 20 people and then it lets you give to the first guy again.

So yeah, if you can find 20 deserving people, you could go around in circles raising scores all day.

I suppose the trouble then is to find 20 deserving people. ;)

My sig or yours? Win98. You poor man. Do you have apps that won't run on XP or something?

IMHO the words "This contest means absolutely nothing" would look kinda cool in the space in the lower left there.

Don't worry, I'll upgrade my 1999-technology computer first thing! the moment Lock On has a 1989-technology DC. Until then, I'm just saving up. :)

-SK

I think I said that Rep was a popularity contest, not a PR ploy, but I could be wrong. As far as I can tell, once you give rep to somebody, you can't give it to them again, no matter how deserving. Not that it matters.

My sig or yours? Win98. You poor man. Do you have apps that won't run on XP or something?

IK, you're right about the intentions of SF. But when they toot their horn and say nobody beat the challenge, they won't be yelling that the rules prohibited a normal PC build. Do you think anybody out there has only Windows and LOMAC on their machines?

I see it as a direct challenge at the people that post on forums that SF killed their drive. Read any SF thread and there will be people who claim that SF rendered their DVD/CDrom drive inoperable, even after reboot and removal of SF. I've seen these people claim that only a reinstall of the OS lets them use their drives again. Well now they can have a trip on SF's dime plus $1000 for their troubles. There were more than enough of these posts across all the different games that use SF.

This is a good way to kill all the exaggerations that get in the way of finding out real problems. People have legit problems with SF, but it's hard to see which is which with so much noise out there.

"It takes a big man to admit he is wrong...I'm not a big man" Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives

5800X3D - 64gb ram - RTX3080 - Windows 11

I see it as a direct challenge at the people that post on forums that SF killed their drive. Read any SF thread and there will be people who claim that SF rendered their DVD/CDrom drive inoperable, even after reboot and removal of SF. I've seen these people claim that only a reinstall of the OS lets them use their drives again.

In order to beat the challenge, the drive must fail to operate in a different PC after failing in the original PC. So if what you posted actually happened, it wouldn't be enough to beat the challenge. But, it would be a very real problem with SF. They've just written the rules to avoid it.

Guest EVIL-SCOTSMAN

come on jinker aka 3dflyer, who was gonna take SF and ED to court over his problems with sf.

YOU should be the one who goes to moscow, if you were adament that it fuxed your shizzat, then you will win $1000.

GO, cuz I seriously wanna see your name on the loser's list :P

In order to beat the challenge, the drive must fail to operate in a different PC after failing in the original PC. So if what you posted actually happened, it wouldn't be enough to beat the challenge. But, it would be a very real problem with SF. They've just written the rules to avoid it.

read it wrong. I guess it's for the people that claim that SF kills the drive outright.

"It takes a big man to admit he is wrong...I'm not a big man" Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives

5800X3D - 64gb ram - RTX3080 - Windows 11

Honestly.. it's not the now.. but back then and the history of SF.

In history SF has fried HD and Cdrom bios.. making them inoperable.

99% of the people out there can understand a programming "Ooops".. but

there wasn't even a "sorry" ... just a patch.

Meanwhile users were forced to replace hardware and not even an apology from SF.

As for today's SF version that's implemented.. I've really no problems.. but I don't run cd drive emulators etc anymore.

@SwingKid...

Ooooh Me... Pick Me!! ME! ME!ME!ME!ME!

• Like 1

Thanks,

Brett

Honestly.. it's not the now.. but back then and the history of SF.

In history SF has fried HD and Cdrom bios.. making them inoperable.

99% of the people out there can understand a programming "Ooops".. but

there wasn't even a "sorry" ... just a patch.

Meanwhile users were forced to replace hardware and not even an apology from SF.

As for today's SF version that's implemented.. I've really no problems.. but I don't run cd drive emulators etc anymore.

The rules don't say it has to be a current version of SF, but if the problem happened in conjunction with other software, i.e. Nero or Daemon Tools, it's a moot point.

Guest IguanaKing

Well...if nothing else, this challenge would certainly encourage people to be absolutely certain that SF alone was the cause of their problem. If they have to risk that much money, they'll probably be more-likely to make darn sure their PC does what they claim it does BEFORE they spend the money on a plane ticket to Moscow. The conditions of the contest are laid out, so any prospective contestant could do a few trial runs under those conditions to make sure they would win the prize before going. Heh...I'm betting if they're that careful and scientific about it though, they end up finding out it wasn't SF all by itself that caused the problem. If they don't do this ahead of time...well...at least they had a nice trip to Moscow on their own dime. :D

Guest IguanaKing

Nope, absolutely not...it would be completely stupid for someone to travel to a place they've never been before for that sole reason. I would expect that they'd at least take a camera with them and make arrangements to see the sights around Moscow. Heh...maybe Intourist is in on the deal too. ;) Heck...I'd go to Russia again, and just pretend that was the reason I was going. I'd conveniently forget my PC at home though because somehow I have a difficult time believing I'm going to get through customs on my way out without some "delays" if I'm transporting a computer.;)

Nope, absolutely not...it would be completely stupid for someone to travel to a place they've never been before for that sole reason. I would expect that they'd at least take a camera with them and make arrangements to see the sights around Moscow. Heh...maybe Intourist is in on the deal too. ;) Heck...I'd go to Russia again, and just pretend that was the reason I was going. I'd conveniently forget my PC at home though because somehow I have a difficult time believing I'm going to get through customs on my way out without some "delays" if I'm transporting a computer.;)

Good point, the chance of getting your pc on time, and in one piece through customs is almost 0.

It's like a bake sale in hell, you have to die first, and then you may get some cookies, but then when you're dead, you don't have any money to pay for them.

Creedence Clearwater Revival:worthy:

Well, my CD writer stopped working after I installed LO 1.1 ... on both my Dell laptops. Coincidence?

Cheap publicity stunt ... not impressed.

I am working at the office with a Dell desktop (Intel 3Ghz)

You don’t need SF to freeze your Dell especially after writing CD’s.

(My colleague has the same problem)

DELL Intel® Core™ i7 Processor 940 2,93 GHz @3 GHz, 8 MB cache | 8.192 MB 1.067 MHz Tri Channel DDR3

| 512 MB ATI® Radeon™ 4850 | 500 GB 7200 rpm Serial ATA | Samsung SM 2693 HM 25.5 " | HOTAS Cougar Thrustmaster |

Guest IguanaKing

Kula,

Are your laptops still under warranty? Maybe you should try contacting Dell's customer support. Not that it necessarily has anything to do with your problem, but a friend of mine recently received a Dell laptop that had a defective DVD burner. He said sometimes it worked, but sometimes it didn't. The reason I ask is because I have a home-built PC that hasn't had a single issue with StarForce...maybe there is some proprietary Dell thing that is causing a conflict, or maybe its just one of those drives like my buddy got with his. Just so you know...he never installed a SF game on his laptop...it just started giving him problems one day. A word of warning though...if you call Dell, be prepared to be treated like a dummy...it took my buddy 3 days to convince Dell that it was defective hardware. They finally sent a new drive and he's been trouble-free ever since.

IguanaKing,

Thanks, Its an idea .... I've got an old Dell (3 years) and a new one (2 months) - both under warranty ... when you call Dell, you have to be prepared to argue why you aren't going to re-install your machine or just lie and say you've done it - they just don't see mto get it - especially now their support is in India :( I may put an old 40GB disk in, re-install XP and try it ... if I get time. But it used to work ... pre-LO 1.1 ...

Guest IguanaKing

Yup...I have heard volumes about how lousy their support is from my buddy. Heh...you think that's bad...just try getting support from Avidyne for their new FlightMax Entegra PFDs some time. I was so angry with their support guy, I was about to start swearing at him...so I just ended our conversation before I completely went ballistic. :mad:

LMAO, Starforce Challenge my ass. It should be called Starforce says your all full of sh*t. Or the “Prove it Punk” Challenge.

That’s their attitude.

Perhaps a few have exaggerated or fabricated some reports, but all of them ? You have to be delusional or in denial to believe that.

It’s like believing that because no one has ever busted down your door and bled out a family member, that it never happens to anyone else. Just cause it didn’t happen in your little world.

Those that have/take that stance are FOS., and will always be.

Those that say drop everything and take up the challenge must not have much of a life, or responsibilities, to be able to see it as a possibility. Even someone with a pet turtle can’t go mia for a week without consequences.

It wasn’t just the Anti-Fan-Boy crew complaining, heavy LO/FC supporters where having conflict problems and leaning on the fence of discontent. How can you all not remember that ?

$1000.00 ain’t shit. Uncle Sam gets as much in a week from me in taxes. So the idea is we take leave from our jobs/families/homes/country/obligations to travel to their shop and prove something that they themselves have not bothered to fix. That’s just F*cking stupid, and it their job, not ours. It goes to show you all, that they do not realistically consider any of us. Or they would understand our average age and the responsibilities that accompany our age group/genre.

I did not see SF post a thread here (not counting the bug thread that accompanies every game.) asking for those who specifically had problems with their drives to post all they could to get base line data to start/work from. Or that they had compiled such a data base and could find nothing, but wished to help those who were affected, because they understood that we use our computers for very real and important tasks aside from their pathetic fears/game…Just this punk sh*t.

Hell the one SF guy that they sent in here early on, slinked off under a barrage of questions, they weren’t even hostile, just technical….LOL…weak.

I myself had a word doc. glitch on my comp. I could not explain after installing the FC Demo as some of you remember, and that it was no small thing for me & my GF at the time.

Also recently I have had the task of burning copies of brain/spinal MRI’s to take to various doctors for a family member who’s been dx’d with a “Dreaded Disease”. Which pales in comparison to some of the reasons I have had in the past for SF protection software to be correct & non-conflicting.

So no matter what your fear as a software developer, you have no right to disable anything on the “suspicion of“…But you do have a responsibility to produce non-conflicting software.

But if it had disabled my CD/DVD drive, I would have been bent in a way that would have precluded a face to face meeting.

You are nothing more than a game that cannot be played if the electricity goes off. Hell at that point Candy Land has got you beat.

There’s nothing really to say but, SF you have F*cked up yet again. And that make you Par for the course so far. It looked like, for a minute, you had started to square your gear away with the 7 day CD check.

Then this,…Poor form at best.

My suggestion is that you trade your P.R. man in for a Crap Flinging Monkey, at least then we will all get some laughs.

P.S.

Growing up in the ghetto as a kid there was a saying the brothers I shot dice with used regular to call out B.S….

Game recognizes Game, You won’t know it till I show it. You can’t sell it if I tell it.

Hair on the wall... Blood in the street... The

crush of bone ' neath my feet.

Actually I've seen SF people active in many forums working with people that have problems.

Is the one that they sent in here still around ? If he is, when was his last post ?

Hair on the wall... Blood in the street... The

crush of bone ' neath my feet.

I am working at the office with a Dell desktop (Intel 3Ghz)

You don’t need SF to freeze your Dell especially after writing CD’s.

(My colleague has the same problem)

Good point Sonny,

Since I work at an office systems dealer I can tell all of you these cheap 1000 dollar dells or gateways whatever use the cheapest components in the world all connected to the cheapest motherboards that can possibly load windows and a backup in a seperate partition, also included is a recovery cd for Dells convenience.

Now you want a stable system learn how to build it yourself using quality 100 dollar motherboards. I suspect all of these problems are because people are running hightech software on junk hardware and just dont know how to maintain an operating system but i could be wrong.

Technical software programs that I use to service equipment do have min requirements for the computer hardware I am using to service and reload thier machines software. So I dont really question that when it comes to running this software it should be demanding a min requirement of hardware speed and quality.

Asus P8Z68-V GEN3/ 2500k 4.4ghz / Corsair 64gb SSD Cache / Corsair 8g 1600 ddr3 / 2 x 320gb RE3 Raid 0 /Corsair 950w/ Zotac 560TI AMP 1gb / Zalman GS1200 case /G940/

Are your laptops still under warranty? Maybe you should try contacting Dell's customer support. Not that it necessarily has anything to do with your problem, but a friend of mine recently received a Dell laptop that had a defective DVD burner. He said sometimes it worked, but sometimes it didn't. The reason I ask is because I have a home-built PC that hasn't had a single issue with StarForce...maybe there is some proprietary Dell thing that is causing a conflict, or maybe its just one of those drives like my buddy got with his. Just so you know...he never installed a SF game on his laptop...it just started giving him problems one day. A word of warning though...if you call Dell, be prepared to be treated like a dummy...it took my buddy 3 days to convince Dell that it was defective hardware. They finally sent a new drive and he's been trouble-free ever since.

Buying a dell gateway or whatever and owning it without a warrenty is like walking a highwire without a poll or a net.

Buying a 300 dell means you like to also talk to dell support, have alot of calling time to burn, enjoy paying your local computer shop to help you with rma and warrenty issues. Like to wait on dells almost obsolete hardware to show up so computer can work again if its not on back order. The list goes on and on.

If your rich and dont know how I recommend http://www.falcon-nw.com/index.asp

Asus P8Z68-V GEN3/ 2500k 4.4ghz / Corsair 64gb SSD Cache / Corsair 8g 1600 ddr3 / 2 x 320gb RE3 Raid 0 /Corsair 950w/ Zotac 560TI AMP 1gb / Zalman GS1200 case /G940/